Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Any chance Brisbane makes a play for 2mp to replace Daniher?
I do not think so. Why would they ? Wright can not replicate half or what Joe does. They would be better going with another mobile medium forward,

Any chance Brisbane makes a play for 2mp to replace Daniher?

His manager went on the record yesterday or today categorically saying he won’t be going anywhere, he’s happy at Essendon.

Looks like he wants to crack in and try and win his spot back. He won’t be going

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They would need a second ruckman then, unless they plan to play hipwood in the ruck.
You really think they would be chasing an under performing slow no core strength non marking forward / second ruck ?

You really think they would be chasing an under performing slow no core strength non marking forward / second ruck ?
Wright had a bad season but he isn’t as bad as your making out. The injury and suspension looks to have killed some confidence. He would also look a lot better at Brisbane than he does at Essendon.
Ruck/ forwards aren’t generally available and I think he would be from Essendons behalf.
I don’t know whether he would want to move clubs, but the reigning premiers might have some sway and of all the interstate clubs he would still have connections back in Queensland.

I wouldn’t write him off having another 50 goal season in him, given confidence and a clear run of health.

I know that, but he played majority of the games.

still a lot of supporters were thinking that by trading leverde and stringer that it would be a reset that would put us in the top few of next years draft.

In my opinion, by just trading out leverde and stringer it wasn’t a big enough move in that direction for us, but retaining them would be no move.

There’s also Shiel and setterfeild, who we will unlikely find homes for who could feature at times in our best 22.

I’m just interested to see where all this ends up, which to me could be a wasted off season.

I want to see a direction from
Essendon either get some guns in and compete or trade those players mentioned, and potentially more too, and get to the top of the draft.

Laverde is a perfectly appropriate back up piece, good clubman and well liked.

He should of course be usurped by Cox and Reid for that 2nd or 3rd key defender spot but he has merit as a listed player. If Lav played 15 games in the ressies next year it’s a great year for the club, let us pray to the injury gods.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This. Stringer and Membrey are the same age. What's the point of trading Stringer and replacing him with a medium forward that doesn't help us with forward pressure? What could Membrey possibly bring to our side that is ground-breaking enough to remove Stringer and recruit him?

Stringer is perfectly capable of filling that placeholder role. I'm baffled we're even linked to him.

More about culture.
Jakes smart but doesn’t work hard enough on his fitness and plays with the entitlement of an elite player without the consistency of production.

Membry would just be experienced injury cover/VFL leadership with possibly an eye to coaching if it’s a multi year deal.

Wright had a bad season but he isn’t as bad as your making out. The injury and suspension looks to have killed some confidence. He would also look a lot better at Brisbane than he does at Essendon.
Ruck/ forwards aren’t generally available and I think he would be from Essendons behalf.
I don’t know whether he would want to move clubs, but the reigning premiers might have some sway and of all the interstate clubs he would still have connections back in Queensland.

I wouldn’t write him off having another 50 goal season in him, given confidence and a clear run of health.
He has had 1 good seasons and 1 okay season in 8 years. You can hang your hat on him if you want but the fact is he is slow. He can not run with anyone so he can not defend forward or in the ruck. He has poor core strength so he gets knocked of the line of the footy easily. He drops way too many marks that he should take and that was there in his good season. The only thing he has going for him is he is a good set shot at goal so you give him 6 touches and he is likely to kick 2 or 3 goals.
His manager has said he is not going anywhere and Brisbane would not want his salary.
I also do not buy the suspension killing his confidence. His confidence was already down after the shoulder injury. He had 8 and 9 possessions in the first two games . 4 marks and 2 hitouts in round 1. He hardly ripped up the pre season either and I know as I watched a lot of it.
Hope he can turn it around but the simple fact is even when he has been okay/good he has still had serious flaws in his game. If he did not convert as well as he does he would not get a game.

Curtis Taylor anyone? From what I’ve seen(not a whole lot) he’s a decent size and has a good athletic profile. Stuck playing half forward for north would not be the easiest task.

Looks to have a whole lot more afl qualities than menzie.

Could he play half back or wing? Or is his endurance not where it needs to be?

Worth a look?

He has had 1 good seasons and 1 okay season in 8 years. You can hang your hat on him if you want but the fact is he is slow. He can not run with anyone so he can not defend forward or in the ruck. He has poor core strength so he gets knocked of the line of the footy easily. He drops way too many marks that he should take and that was there in his good season. The only thing he has going for him is he is a good set shot at goal so you give him 6 touches and he is likely to kick 2 or 3 goals.
His manager has said he is not going anywhere and Brisbane would not want his salary.
I also do not buy the suspension killing his confidence. His confidence was already down after the shoulder injury. He had 8 and 9 possessions in the first two games . 4 marks and 2 hitouts in round 1. He hardly ripped up the pre season either and I know as I watched a lot of it.
Hope he can turn it around but the simple fact is even when he has been okay/good he has still had serious flaws in his game. If he did not convert as well as he does he would not get a game.
He really only needs to stand under the high ball and kick his usual 1.5 goals a game and be better than the oppos second ruck and competitive against their first string to play his role well.

Caddy will appreciate having wright there alongside him.

I think that is very acceptable level for him to play at, which would help the team a lot more than having two rucks.

Look how long mason cox has done that for Collingwood. He is even a premiership player.

Curtis Taylor anyone? From what I’ve seen(not a whole lot) he’s a decent size and has a good athletic profile. Stuck playing half forward for north would not be the easiest task.

Worth a look?
Sort of got my attention but honestly have not seen enough of him play recently. I know there where endurance running questions before he was drafted. Has always been a decent kick without being elite (mid to high 60% efficiency)

He really only needs to stand under the high ball and kick his usual 1.5 goals a game and be better than the oppos second ruck and competitive against their first string to play his role well.

Caddy will appreciate having wright there alongside him.

I think that is very acceptable level for him to play at, which would help the team a lot more than having two rucks.

Look how long mason cox has done that for Collingwood. He is even a premiership player.
Still think the rest outdoes his ability to stand there and kick 2 or 3 goals which he can.
Mason Cox is a lot more aggressive and a better ruck.
We will not agree on this bloke. Hope I am wrong and he comes good but I am not holding my breath while we wait.

I saw Jayden Laverde at my gym yesterday.
What is interesting is the hangar is 4km down the road and he was not there.
My guess is he is looking to leave.

Worth a look?
Lacks speed and the ability to get from contest to contest.
This prohibits him from being a consistently effective small forward or winger.
He is an above average mark for his size.

So what happens if we can’t find trade partners for leverde and stringer?

They stay on and we finish from 7th to 14th?

This wouldn’t be the go backwards rebuild we thought it would be.
I don’t link it players, more club intent. If we want a bottom 4 finish / top 4 draft position, we can do it…
  • Players developing in different positions … chuck Martin in the backline for instance
  • Give pretty much every player a game or two on the wing…
  • Give players who aren’t yet at afl standard an extended run, like Menzie, ADJnr

Oh, wait. We did that already.

I don’t link it players, more club intent. If we want a bottom 4 finish / top 4 draft position, we can do it…
  • Players developing in different positions … chuck Martin in the backline for instance
  • Give players who aren’t yet at afl standard an extended run, like Menzie, ADJnr

Trouble was with ADJnr in we kept winning, so they had to keep dropping him.

The reason menzie and Davey got games they didn’t deserve is because of how clubs group their players.

Menzie and Davey were both small forwards, so when there was a spot open for a small forward they got that position.

This is the right method for development because players mostly keep the same line coach the entire season. A player should be really aware of their specific role inside their line.

In the end though those two were both so bad that they just picked Robert’s, and played him forward. Hence why it took Robert’s so long to get a game and for Davey and menzie too seemingly be gifted games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back