Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

One scenario that has not been discussed is a side holding a pick in the 10 to 15 range that rates Kako trading up with the Saints for pick 8. For arguments sake if GWS where super keen they could offer 15 & 21 for 8 & 27 and a future.
Gws aren’t after more small forwards …. We have Daniels, Darcy, Thomas and Gothard from last year

Gws aren’t after more small forwards …. We have Daniels, Darcy, Thomas and Gothard from last year
That is just what we need. Opposition fans coming in here who can not read :rolleyes:
I said for arguments sake. Had nothing to do with it actually happening or likely to happen.
It was a hypothetical.

Taking into account its a perceived strong draft, what are the odds Kako won't get a bid on before our pick 9?

Kakos been injured and has missed a bunch of games/key markers. If he’d been healthy it’s questionable.

Right now it feels like the only reason teams are talking about this is because they are trying to get something from us/take
Away that double up advantage FS/NGA gives

Right now top availiable picks are likely
Langford Lalor Smith Draper Taru FoS possibly Armstrong if North trade back or Someone wants a tall. then it’s whoever St Kilda like

There’s plenty of good players still on the board that they’d likely want over Kako.

Yeah I think people saying Kako would only be a spite bid, or that he’s not in the top 10 are off the mark. He might not be in some people’s “rankings” but he’s in the discussion/mix of that area.

No club is using #8 in a strong draft like this to draft a small, and since we wouldn't that is the risk the Saints would taking with a bid and they know it. It's all an unconvincing smokescreen. His main allure was that he would be a good talent for cheap provided you were still able to take the best available at your highest picks and as highly as you rate Kako he is not the best available at #8. It's as simple as that.

Last edited:
I agree there is no point doing anything until draft night but the rankings are what they are as no one has an exact order of how they rate them. I am in a position to discuss some of this with lower level recruiting guys and without giving anything away they all say there will be some surprises this year simply because of how even the top 15 is. It will come down to if clubs rate certain guys and some clubs may go with a pick to fill a need inside the top 10 more than best available if they have more than 1 picks. The Tigers may end up with 3 top 10 picks so they could easily do it. My view is reported rankings so far are not what they have been in previous years because we have never had a draft like this where no one can pin down number one or even the top 5. The move is 100% hold unless someone offers up something like future F1 & F2 and picks for this year .
We could well be one of the teams that rate Kako in the top 7 or 8 players. He’s a clear need and has some runs on the board this year.

We could well be one of the teams that rate Kako in the top 7 or 8 players. He’s a clear need and has some runs on the board this year.
Yes we could . Whatever the scenario is we do not have to do anything until draft night.

I’m just giving the other side of the argument

But we could def be a trade partner on the night if someone goes early on Kako
And it was simply putting a club name in a "insert club name here" . No suggestion your mob where interested in. There was no argument even though I used the phrase for arguments sake.

Or it goes the other was and people think his camp are blaming others for his short comings .

Could do, but if the club is prepared to start slanging stuff at him through the media I would start slanging back and that would be exactly where I start.

Then I’d probably start a rumour that Brad Scott eats clag.

Would only do it live once a bid for Kako comes in before 9

Dees probably offer us F1 and F2 for 9, atleast F1
The only problem I see at waiting for draft night is that 99% of clubs have done prior deals to fix their position in the draft. That leaves you on the clock and at a disadvantage to extract the best deal.
The dees could might well offer you a F1and F2 but that means you lose Kako as you don’t have enough draft points to match as your pick 31 = 606 points. Or go significantly into draft debt with a worst points scenario coming in in 2025. Also the Dees are the most likely to bid on Kako as it stands now.

I just can’t see on draft night how you could get 1400 points + a F1 for pick 9. Probably the Tigers might do something to give you the points plus say a pick 24 in this draft.

Lastly trading on draft night brings another issue. List spots need to be finalised by 31st Oct as that’s the contract end date for players. This means you can only take into the draft the amount picks for list spots available. Remember Greenwood from the Suns for example, he got delisted with a promise to re rookie but North come and stole him as a de listed free agent not thinking someone would pick him up.

Hope you get Kako as I reckon he’s a ripper.

North are open to trading their future first for our pick 9.

smart move,

Joe Berry, Hannaford, always a raft of small forwards available later in the draft. Kako is nice and we could get a bargain but its not the be all and end all
You just don’t pass up value like Kako. It’s getting a first rounder for a 90% discount. Would be shocked if we don’t get him, even if it means we get pushed into next draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only problem I see at waiting for draft night is that 99% of clubs have done prior deals to fix their position in the draft. That leaves you on the clock and at a disadvantage to extract the best deal.
The dees could might well offer you a F1and F2 but that means you lose Kako as you don’t have enough draft points to match as your pick 31 = 606 points. Or go significantly into draft debt with a worst points scenario coming in in 2025. Also the Dees are the most likely to bid on Kako as it stands now.

I just can’t see on draft night how you could get 1400 points + a F1 for pick 9. Probably the Tigers might do something to give you the points plus say a pick 24 in this draft.

Lastly trading on draft night brings another issue. List spots need to be finalised by 31st Oct as that’s the contract end date for players. This means you can only take into the draft the amount picks for list spots available. Remember Greenwood from the Suns for example, he got delisted with a promise to re rookie but North come and stole him as a de listed free agent not thinking someone would pick him up.

Hope you get Kako as I reckon he’s a ripper.

Not really you usually have a contigency plan if the bid comes in, already in place. If dees or Saints are bidding there theyre not creating a plan. It would be Dogs F1 and F2

Clubs luckily for us are clamouring for picks 9-14

We dont need 1400 points. Ive posted in here how its very easy to get ~850 points which is all thats needed and a F1. Remember Stringer is leaving and that trade will be full of points

No, on draft night once it starts you can have more picks than list spots. Its just entering the draft you can only have the amount of draft picks as per list spots available on the senior list of upto 38 (if have 4 or less rookies)

Last edited:
Now this is very interesting and enticing

Would they do this anyway excluding Houston?
To get Taru + Armstrong

Fills the two biggest holes on their list with potentially elite talent. Get your gun defensive 3rd tall + future key tall and load up in a strong draft then hope to jump up the table against an easy schedule

Could do, but if the club is prepared to start slanging stuff at him through the media I would start slanging back and that would be exactly where I start.

Then I’d probably start a rumour that Brad Scott eats clag.
Personally I would do the classy thing and just get on with it.

Norths F1 seems like the best value ive heard for our Pick 9. They obviously want to do it soon if its got something to do with Houston. I think im saying yes after trying to also turn our 31 into extra points. Probably still saying yes straight up, i think. They will improve obviously but it should be a top 10 at worst. The value of 1st rounders this year we should really be getting some extra points to help match the kako bid. Juicy offer though

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back