Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

So Carlton have in essence turned two firsts and one second round pick into pick 3.

The Eagles must think Harley Reid is truly transcendent because apart from last year their strategy with their top end picks seems to be if they are not from WA they probably don’t want us and we don’t want them. Clearly gunning for Bo Allan.

So Carlton have in essence turned two firsts and one second round pick into pick 3.

The Eagles must think Harley Reid is truly transcendent because apart from last year their strategy with their top end picks seems to be if they are not from WA they probably don’t want us and we don’t want them. Clearly gunning for Bo Allan.
We are already talking in here about giving up 4 firsts for him so I think alot do haha

I think it's more that they don't really need another young mid. Baker and Graham (both very durable with time on their side) add to a group with Chesser, Reid, Hewett, Culley and Ginbey as future mids with guys like Travaglia, Lindsay etc in that later range as more of a need

Anyone checked to see how they are going over on the eagles board??
Must be having some serious melts.
Owies 😆😆 you can pick him up for free
Baker you can pick him up in the national draft for p24

Wonder why the Tigers didn't go for pick 3 as part of the baker deal? Push for 10+11 for Bolton+24 offer Baker and 11 for 3?

1, 3, 6, 10, 20, 23
I think they're happy with 1 and then have plenty in that 5-30 range. 1, 6, 10, 11, 14, 20, 23, 24 is a strong haul. Lalor, Langford, Armstrong, Travaglia, Berry, Shanahan, Hotton and Moraes would work nicely for them

I think they're happy with 1 and then have plenty in that 5-30 range. 1, 6, 10, 11, 14, 20, 23, 24 is a strong haul. Lalor, Langford, Armstrong, Travaglia, Berry, Shanahan, Hotton and Moraes would work nicely for them
Yeah it's impossible to be sad about any hand they'll hold, it's the best draft hand I've ever seen. Outside of expansion clubs.

Man, they’re gonna win 3 flags, completely bottom out, then go straight back past us aren’t they..

Should be good to watch.

I cannot believe carlton are getting away with this WC trade.

If they were going to be fleeced so easily I wonder why Rosa didn't attempt to secure Pick 3 to get us ahead of any potential Kako bid.

Hearing Shifter Sheenan describe this year's draft as "generational" stings a little bit more that we've traded out of it.

1728948755330.png
I hate how our club always gets bashed for no reason. I’ll be manifesting this Harley Reid to Essendon 2025 propaganda. I honestly think we can get him.

If they were going to be fleeced so easily I wonder why Rosa didn't attempt to secure Pick 3 to get us ahead of any potential Kako bid.

Hearing Shifter Sheenan describe this year's draft as "generational" stings a little bit more that we've traded out of it.
but we are now confirmed to be getting one of those "generational players"

Tbf Sheenan will prop a kid going pick 73 as a future Brownlow medalist, 7 time all-Australian and future hall of fame champion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's more that they don't really need another young mid. Baker and Graham (both very durable with time on their side) add to a group with Chesser, Reid, Hewett, Culley and Ginbey as future mids with guys like Travaglia, Lindsay etc in that later range as more of a need

Aren't Travaglia and Lindsay mids as well? The target players in that area of the draft are all multi position mid flankers anyway. They continue to contradict themselves.

And I don't think Carlton necessarily come away like massive bandits either, given the trade with Hawthorn to position themselves to do this.

Aren't Travaglia and Lindsay mids as well? The target players in that area of the draft are all multi position mid flankers anyway. They continue to contradict themselves.

And I don't think Carlton necessarily come away like massive bandits either, given the trade with Hawthorn to position themselves to do this.
Travaglia is a half back. Lindsay a bit of both. Bo Allen or Travaglia is a good result.

Yeah I'm not sure on the Carlton end. Is FOS much better for them than a combination of say Travaglia and Berry?

Man, they’re gonna win 3 flags, completely bottom out, then go straight back past us aren’t they..

Should be good to watch.
This is why as much as sheeds did for us I also think he is a big part of the issues we have. Instead of accepting the 2000 window was done we kept doubling down and trying to top up with senior players from other clubs instead of committing to a rebuild and bringing in young talent. It feels like that attitude has permeated through the club for the good part of 20 years.
Big club arrogance that we are too good to be at the bottom.

It is entirely plausible that they are looking at a player or players with 12 who would be available with 3. Whether 12 becomes 15 on account of bids (I don't know as I'm not following the draft at all this year) is immaterial as those players are not on the table anyway.

When in doubt just go local. How much better would a player from Victoria have to be to overlook the local when the Victorian is a significant flight risk by default? We've seen it with Freo, including for reasons other than go home factor, the way a rebuild or build gets delayed or stalled by players not staying. Yes, you get adequate compensation but it's a step back to go a step forward. I really like that Gold Coast is essentially just planning its drafting around its academy which should future proof it and the competition. Recruiting local has obviously been significant for Geelong.

But my instinctual reaction to seeing a trade that is really just pick 3 for pick 12 and Baker (as Owies has no trade value) was a fleeting retch that may well have become a Team America spew. But, at the end of the day, pick 3 is marginally more valuable than pick 12 when you look at it in historical context. I don't look at it in terms of which player went with pick 3 and which with 12, there are too many subjective factors involved for that to be an accurate reflection of anything. I think of it as ranges of 3 to 12 and 10 to 25 to account for the way subjective preference could re-shuffle a draft and I'd say that contemporary history proves that there is little difference. At a quick glance, this would apply to 2015, 2016 and 2019. As the dust settles, it applies to 2017 as well. 2020 is a difficult draft on account of covid but it also applies there too. It's a bit early to tell with the drafts from 2021 onward but it looks like in 2021 and 2023 you wanted # 3 but that there was no real difference in 2022. You clearly wanted # 3 in 2018.

I'd say you can seriously argue that having pick 3 on draft night made a club no better off than holding pick 12 in 6 of 9 drafts following the second most recent time we started a rebuild.

Last edited:
One of the worst trades I've ever seen from West Coast.

Hopefully they keep being shambolic so we can steal Harley
I know I'm completely in the minority for this but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as most.

I don’t think it’s a particularly bad trade, it’s an even draft so the drop off in quality between 3 and 12 won’t be substantial plus Baker is a pretty good player.
Plus it puts them in the right range for players they actually need over more midfielders.

People acting like they traded 3 for 12 but really it’s more like 4 for 15 or 16 once academy players get added

Historically going from top 5 to mid teens is significantly less likely to get you a good player.

Coming off Baker/Bolton/Rioli/short ect all these premiership players guiding Richmond to the spoon surely you wouldn’t rate them overly high

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back