Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Once the lists starting getting to that size then there has to be a discussion about a competition for the players not making the firsts team to keep them match fit for the AFLW season
yep some teams are currently combining with 2 other teams to do prac matches

Ala covid years in mens

Pretty amateurish

Should do an aflw reserves comp

aflw reserves comp, come on. It’s already burning money through the league.
If the lists sizes increase then that’s a majority of the money already being spent (I would have thought)

Put it on as curtain raisers so ground access shouldn’t matter and there’d be added costs for umpires but that would be small fry compared to the added salary cap requirements

If the lists sizes increase then that’s a majority of the money already being spent (I would have thought)

Put it on as curtain raisers so ground access shouldn’t matter and there’d be added costs for umpires but that would be small fry compared to the added salary cap requirements
There’s is countless costs with running another comp.. not just umpires. Seriously. What about flying the team interstate with hotels for one?

Theirs is countless costs with running another comp.. not just umpires. Seriously. What about flying the team interstate with hotels for one?
Hmm true, I guess I was more thinking a state equivalent but they have the VFLW already (which should be run at the same time as the AFLW)

I assume the other states have the same perhaps a bit of money is sent to those comps and they are re-organised to suit the top competition better?

yep some teams are currently combining with 2 other teams to do prac matches

Ala covid years in mens

Pretty amateurish

Should do an aflw reserves comp
The more obvious move would be to play the AFLW season in conjunction with the VFLW and other State Leagues so the players can get match practice in the second tier.

Of course, that will mean moving the AFLW season to the winter months, something they will probably need to do at some stage as the number of rounds increases to 12, 14 or 17 games.

Webster has been coaching since 2015. Probably has better experience and ideas than those women developing at the Hawks at this time. Not like he's new to aflw either. Not really a thing where you go you have done x years so you’re getting the job anyway. Many people miss out at all levels. Who knows how many felt they were ready and even applied from that group? You could go looking for malice anywhere when we aren’t involved in the discussions.

I look forward to seeing how it goes for the Hawks.
Webster going pretty well for the Hawks you'd probably agree.

Not that it matters, but Sarah Black is incorrect about teams never needing top ups by round 2 before. The Crows had two named in their 24 in Round 1 2020, of which one ended up playing - Rachelle Martin. She was one of our best that day and got drafted at the end of the year.

Amusingly, Martin had assumed the other top-up (Czenya Cavouras) would get the nod over her and hadn't even eaten properly before the match, just having a ham and cheese toasty before finding out she was playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends what the umpires notice.

Could see Bates polling 2 x 3s to start the season, and 1 vs the crows which would have her contesting
Is this the same Bates who missed round two against Carlton? 😂😂

Ponter and Marinoff certainties for 2/3 but Bates certainly in the running for one vote.

She is a smokey but giving the likes of Riddell and Marnioff a head start.

Is this the same Bates who missed round two against Carlton?
R2 v Pies, yeah.

That aside, she had 13 touches in round 1 (kicked a nice goal, but come on...).

Is this the same Bates who missed round two against Carlton? 😂😂

Ponter and Marinoff certainties for 2/3 but Bates certainly in the running for one vote.

She is a smokey but giving the likes of Riddell and Marnioff a head start.
Oops, should've said west (was reading an article on Bates as I typed, haha)

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back