Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d be intrested to see the crowd tonight… obviously hard to make it work with concussions and injuries but maybe if you played games at 7pm over school holidays mid week games could work because the crowd looks decent on tv
Queensland are already in school holidays

I am all for the growth of AFLW, and the grassroots structures now seem to be flourishing, but there will be a significant review of the current on field product at the end of this season.

Carlton has scored 2 goals in its last 10 quarters of football.

In round 4 alone there were 6 teams who failed to score more than 20 points.

In only 1 round of the 4 completed so far, has every team kicked a goal.

This isn't sustainable.

Channel 7 will begin to move the games to their secondary channels if numbers diminish.

No one has the answers at the moment, but there will be considerable questions asked at seasons end.

Channel 7 will begin to move the games to their secondary channels if numbers diminish.
? They have always put the majority of games on 7mate.

TV networks don't value women's sport anyway (see the paltry $5m fee paid for the 2023 FIFA World Cup), so give up the false notion this will change with a few (or even a lot) more goals kicked or sixes hit.

If the AFL really want higher scores, they'll schedule longer matches. And they'll have them spaced further apart to maximise the chances of each team keeping their stars on the park. I guess we do have the answers after all.

? They have always put the majority of games on 7mate.

TV networks don't value women's sport anyway (see the paltry $5m fee paid for the 2023 FIFA World Cup), so give up the false notion this will change with a few (or even a lot) more goals kicked or sixes hit.

If the AFL really want higher scores, they'll schedule longer matches. And they'll have them spaced further apart to maximise the chances of each team keeping their stars on the park. I guess we do have the answers after all.
I watch on Foxtel and always thought they were on 7s main channel. If thats the case its alreayd shown to be having no impact on viewership numbers at all.

They cannot schedule longer games. Players aren't fit enough, and it isn't a good enough standard to be able to do so. Its not their fault, they arent full time professionals.

I would be shortening the field as a starting point.

Simply adding the players back onto the field so its 18 v 18 would improve the game over all. Making it 16 v 16 is one of the dumbest decisions they have made imo.

I watch on Foxtel and always thought they were on 7s main channel. If thats the case its alreayd shown to be having no impact on viewership numbers at all.

They cannot schedule longer games. Players aren't fit enough, and it isn't a good enough standard to be able to do so. Its not their fault, they arent full time professionals.

Ok I'll repeat it for the 5000th time on this board: Small grounds don't translate into free-flowing high-scoring football, and the stats have proven it comprehensively. They are great for creating congestion and therefore more collision injuries though.

The average AFLW player is extremely fit, and it's just nonsense to dispute that. Hence there is an interchange cap designed to fatigue the players. Also: consecutive four-day breaks (which, for some reason, you've failed to mention) isn't going to allow any player to perform at their best.

Ok I'll repeat it for the 5000th time on this board: Small grounds don't translate into free-flowing high-scoring football, and the stats have proven it comprehensively. They are great for creating congestion and therefore more collision injuries though.

The average AFLW player is extremely fit, and it's just nonsense to dispute that. Hence there is an interchange cap designed to fatigue the players. Also: consecutive four-day breaks (which, for some reason, you've failed to mention) isn't going to allow any player to perform at their best.

Four day breaks have only come into play this week, what about the first four rounds?

Large grounds certainly arent helping scoring though are they?

Clearly, expanding to 18 teams too quickly has caused a major issue with the talent pool. The bottom teams are beyond non-competitive.

Four day breaks have only come into play this week, what about the first four rounds?

Large grounds certainly arent helping scoring though are they?

Clearly, expanding to 18 teams too quickly has caused a major issue with the talent pool. The bottom teams are beyond non-competitive.
No, four-day breaks came into effect last week. Before that, idk, let's start with R1 and see whether your claims of scoring and 18 teams holds up:

Points Per Match - Round 1
2017 (8 teams): 52
2018 (8 teams): 61
2019 (10 teams): 64
2020 (14 teams): 50
2021 (14 teams): 77
22S6 (14 teams): 61
22S7 (18 teams): 68
2023 (18 teams): 78
2024 (18 teams): 88

Oh and the tiny North Sydney Oval produced a below-average score... so, actually yeah, large grounds do help scoring (though the biggest factor, by far, is weather).

Standard is clearly better. Players aren’t getting sucked into the contest nearly as much

I agree that it should go to 18 v 18 on the field. I think it will improve the game further at this point

I could update this to include the last 1.5 seasons with about an hour's worth of work, but it'd be pointless because I know it'd only reiterate something which needs no reiterating:

AFLW Scoring (2017 - 2022 S7)
Avg Temp (°C)No. of GamesPoints Per Game
30+4279.0
25-29.99870.5
20-24.99966.4
15-19.99164.7
10-14.94061.2
<10256.5

"Avg Temp" is the mean average of two measurements taken near the approximate start and finish of a match

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could update this to include the last 1.5 seasons with about an hour's worth of work, but it'd be pointless because I know it'd only reiterate something which needs no reiterating:

AFLW Scoring (2017 - 2022 S7)
Avg Temp (°C)No. of GamesPoints Per Game
30+4279.0
25-29.99870.5
20-24.99966.4
15-19.99164.7
10-14.94061.2
<10256.5

"Avg Temp" is the mean average of two measurements taken near the approximate start and finish of a match
Cause or Correlation?

30+ deg games more likely to be in and involve Brisbane one of the better teams over the last few years
Colder games more likely to be in Melbourne and involve some of the weaker clubs (like mine :( )

Cause or Correlation?

30+ deg games more likely to be in and involve Brisbane one of the better teams over the last few years
Colder games more likely to be in Melbourne and involve some of the weaker clubs (like mine :( )
Brisbane had just the 2 home games in 30+ degrees in the first seven seasons (73 ppg), and it's perhaps easy to forget they weren't one of the comp's higher-scoring teams until the 5th or 6th season.

It's all relative.

Collingwood's 1st game at the MCG-sized Olympic Park: 116 points, 33 degrees (Pies finished 5th out of 8 teams).
Collingwood's 5th game at the MCG-sized Olympic Park: 45 points, 13 degrees (Pies finished 6th out of 18 teams).

If your suggestion had merit, there would be more scoring on smaller grounds, but there isn't, if anything there is less.

The entire misguided point of having fewer players on the field was to open up space and reduce the congestion slowing ball movement. Now you want to take those reduced number of players, and increase congestion by compressing the field??

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Standard is clearly better. Players aren’t getting sucked into the contest nearly as much

I agree that it should go to 18 v 18 on the field. I think it will improve the game further at this point
I think at this point it's kept at 16 for list size reasons as much as anything.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app

List sizes is one of the things that bugs me.

AFLM: 18 on field, 26 depth (max 44 incl Rookies)
AFLW: 16 on field, 14 depth (30 total)

The W teams don't have depth like we're used to expecting in men's comp.

I will admit to having no actual knowledge about this, but is there any possibility that they might go to the same size ball the men use?

I'm convinced that the smaller ball is more inaccurate, more prone to being affected by the wind, more difficult to kick flush, etc.

Obviously women are smaller in general, so maybe there is a physical reason why it's not possible.

What changes if any do you see to the current top 8?

WCE only team vulnerable? Maybe St K?

Ess impressed on weekend, do you think they make it? At whose expense? could Port sneak in with a favourble draw?

What changes if any do you see to the current top 8?

WCE only team vulnerable? Maybe St K?

Ess impressed on weekend, do you think they make it? At whose expense? could Port sneak in with a favourble draw?
My latest ladder predictor.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240929_200937_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240929_200937_Samsung Internet.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 30

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back