Aflq News

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know of the planned changes to the aflq from 2007?? I hear that a few teams are going to be included into the div1 comp. I heard that Western Magpies are one team and possibly aspley are another. In my opinion 8 teams or whatever the number is will never work.

Can anyone fill us in on Christopher Black from Southport Sharks - height / position played / ability etc ? Has joined Mount Pleasant in the HDFL in Vic.
Cheers

toddy said:
Does anyone know of the planned changes to the aflq from 2007?? I hear that a few teams are going to be included into the div1 comp. I heard that Western Magpies are one team and possibly aspley are another. In my opinion 8 teams or whatever the number is will never work.

I did hear a couple years ago of a promotion/relegation system between div 1 and 2 but have not heard anything since.

I think the competition needs to have 12 teams in it as anything less than a 8 team finals series wouldnt work. The only thing is that we will see blow out results as seen in the past. Is there any sides in div 2 or other grades that has the money to attract players from interstate and become competitive. From what i heard there is a salary cap of 120K and a min of 70k.

Definitley those teams burleigh and maybe springwood are the next top teams but from what i hear aspley is financially a healthy club.... i know a bit about the magpies but to whether the others can afford the cap not sure. The magpies i know will have to come up with something a very good young side but certainly not blessed with deep pockets so to say.

toddy said:
Definitley those teams burleigh and maybe springwood are the next top teams but from what i hear aspley is financially a healthy club.... i know a bit about the magpies but to whether the others can afford the cap not sure. The magpies i know will have to come up with something a very good young side but certainly not blessed with deep pockets so to say.
Burleigh are almost broke from what I've heard - can't see them moving up any time soon.

I assume you'd be a Magpie? ;)

thats right i would love to see us go up as i was still in junior footy when we were in div1 but when i heard we had been looked at as potential div1 contenders couldnt see where the money would come from... Are you playing in any of the sides, or invlved in anyway Lenny?

Lenny29 said:
Aspley haven't been very good for a few years now.

Doubt they'd be the ones to go up - you'd think it's be the Magpies, maybe a Cooly/Palmy?

I know the Aspley juniors side is very strong, rare to see a div 1 grand final without a team then when it comes to seniors they goto the Northern/Zillmere Eagles.

Magpies were in the main comp a couple of years back then then all clubs had to re submit for the following year and both them and Mayne were the two that missed out.

Cooly and Palmy I hear would have enough money to compete and trade however theres already 3 teams from the Gold Coast so the AFLQ might be a bit cautious of putting another side there.

morphous said:
I know the Aspley juniors side is very strong, rare to see a div 1 grand final without a team then when it comes to seniors they goto the Northern/Zillmere Eagles.

Magpies were in the main comp a couple of years back then then all clubs had to re submit for the following year and both them and Mayne were the two that missed out.

Cooly and Palmy I hear would have enough money to compete and trade however theres already 3 teams from the Gold Coast so the AFLQ might be a bit cautious of putting another side there.

The AFLQ is in a tough place if the best teams (not going on finances) are promoted the team skill levels will be vastly different ala 2-3 yrs ago. I agree that they wont be keen on coast sides as there are already enough, a sunshine coast team will be running soon surely with the suncoast lions experiment and successful underage teams there. I think aflq are keen to get a team to represent the west, with a few northern suburb teams.

toddy said:
thats right i would love to see us go up as i was still in junior footy when we were in div1 but when i heard we had been looked at as potential div1 contenders couldnt see where the money would come from... Are you playing in any of the sides, or invlved in anyway Lenny?
I lost a granny to you blokes last year.

what grade?? i assume your from either springwood or southport if springwood i too played in that game... i swear the conditions could not have been worse.

toddy said:
The AFLQ is in a tough place if the best teams (not going on finances) are promoted the team skill levels will be vastly different ala 2-3 yrs ago. I agree that they wont be keen on coast sides as there are already enough, a sunshine coast team will be running soon surely with the suncoast lions experiment and successful underage teams there. I think aflq are keen to get a team to represent the west, with a few northern suburb teams.

I know they have been working towards both a team from the Sunshine Coast and Western Suburbs howeve viability has been the main issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

aflq has come a fair way over the last few years being able to attract some good interstate talent as well as producing our own but depth is a worry there is really only a handfull of strong teams southport, morningside, northern eagles, broadbeach and mount gravatt..... redland and labrador are still in between them and the rest.

toddy said:
aflq has come a fair way over the last few years being able to attract some good interstate talent as well as producing our own but depth is a worry there is really only a handfull of strong teams southport, morningside, northern eagles, broadbeach and mount gravatt..... redland and labrador are still in between them and the rest.

Don't worry about depth too much. Mt Gravatt and Redlands have a lot of talent that will come through in the next 2 - 4 years.

do you have much knowledge of those teams... i played with andrew scott a few yrs back and was wondering how he was going, last i heard he was in their best few a couple of times.

Lenny29 said:
That's the one. Worst wind I've ever played in.

Stopped almost as soon as the final siren went too. Spooky.

Haha i heard it was going to be 50km/h or so winds the day before and im like ohh ******** because i was lining up at CHF, i think i saw the ball down my end once in the first quarter as you guys had the breeze.

toddy said:
do you have much knowledge of those teams... i played with andrew scott a few yrs back and was wondering how he was going, last i heard he was in their best few a couple of times.

Was that question to me?

toddy said:
Haha i heard it was going to be 50km/h or so winds the day before and im like ohh ******** because i was lining up at CHF, i think i saw the ball down my end once in the first quarter as you guys had the breeze.
I had the wind at FF in the first, but goddammit was it hard to read.

Being unable to run real much cause of glandular fever meant it was just a wasted exercise for me, really.

Lenny29 said:
I had the wind at FF in the first, but goddammit was it hard to read.

Being unable to run real much cause of glandular fever meant it was just a wasted exercise for me, really.

I did have one positive besides the result, in the last quarter i kicked a ball from 25m and it went 50-55m on the fly then bounced at least another 20m so i tell people i kicked a ball 75m as well i also watch the kick every so often on the dvd i bought.

Apparently Cooly are the ones to watch this year! They've picked up a few but don't ever count burleigh out. They may have lost a couple but they have certainly picked up a few aswell! Troy crossley is a GREAT coach and knows how to bring his players together and get them to play at their best. Will be very interesting to see who the top 4 is this year!! Wouldn't be surprised if Crossley coaches at a higher level in the future!

Roolander said:
Anyone know how Labrador are going with recruits this year , is the " Fridge " attracting the names or not.

Labrador are always going to struggle. I think firdge has improved as a coach over the past year or two but they don't have enough big name players to be finals contenders. Got a lot of players from the geelong league last year but a few have gone back home. Probably bottom 2 or 3 again in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back