Rumour AFLW player refuses to wear pride jumper

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

Don't know where else to put this. Probs not the right board but mods feel free to move.

On one hand not sure what my exact position is.

One side of the coin (my position) Gay people have unalienable human rights and deserve absolutely full inclusion in a society they are very much a part of.

Yet the Islamic community have made absolutely no secret of their disdain for homosexuality so not quite sure how Haneen Zreika is somehow been accused of double standards. (amoung the comments on the article <Ilinked news.com but also on others>).

There are others that know far more about this then me on this site but personally found this odd.

She can sit out the game and fair enough but in no way does she deserve criticism. A pillar of Australian society is free speech whih is also the right to critique her position.

Don't know where else to put this. Probs not the right board but mods feel free to move.

One side of the coin (my position) Gay people have unalienable human rights and deserve absolutely full inclusion in a society they are very much a part of.

Yet the Islamic community have made absolutely no secret of their disdain for homosexuality so not quite sure how Haneen Zreika is somehow been accused of double standards. (amoung the comments on the article <Ilinked news.com but also on others>).

There are others that know far more about this then me on this site but personally found this odd.

She can sit out the game and fair enough but in no way does she deserve criticism. A pillar of Australian society is free speech whih is also the right to critique her position.

Im fairly sure there would be AFL players that feel the same way but making a statement like this will only alienate herself from some team mates and other players from other clubs.

I dont think her wearing a Pride jumper for a game and having her religious views would be seen as double standards or even acknowledged to be honest, but now she has created an issue unnecessarily for herself.

Find it hard to believe all her teammates would be supporting her here.

Considering the high proportion of lgbtiq players within the aflw there would be some who are not happy with the situation. I'm not sure what would.make her position hypocritical though. But yeah not an easy debate to choose either side of the debate.

Im fairly sure there would be AFL players that feel the same way but making a statement like this will only alienate herself from some team mates and other players from other clubs.

I dont think her wearing a Pride jumper for a game and having her religious views would be seen as double standards or even acknowledged to be honest, but now she has created an issue unnecessarily for herself.

Find it hard to believe all her teammates would be supporting her here.

They would be pretty ignorant to not support her. Do they not care about the pushback she could receive from her community?

Quite frankly I would introduce an immigration question stating "do you believe that men and women are equal" and "do you believe that LGBTI people are equal to heterosexual people" or words to that effect and if they answer "no" to either question their immigration request is denied. Why make the country worse with bringing in people with backwards views.

Quite frankly I would introduce an immigration question stating "do you believe that men and women are equal" and "do you believe that LGBTI people are equal to heterosexual people" or words to that effect and if they answer "no" to either question their immigration request is denied. Why make the country worse with bringing in people with backwards views.
What has immigration got to do with this issue. She was born here?????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, it is a rather crazy concept but she is not asking for anyone else to believe it or change there ways.
Unfortunately though she's aligning herself with an ideal that's not as innocent as her individual action might be.

I am intolerant of people who are intolerant.
Utter crap, you love to hate. You showed that in the meatloaf thread , guy dies and all you want to do is trash him. What have you ever achieved in life??

You raise immigration even though it has nothing to do with it. You dont care about gay rights , you care about someone having a view that is different to your own.
You want a Anglo Saxon society in which no ones challenges your narrow antiquated view of life.

Unfortunately though she's aligning herself with an ideal that's not as innocent as her individual action might be.
Not a fan of religions and most have ideals that make me cringe but as long as they dont try to normalise that that as part of mainstream life I am ok.

unfortunately we have seen the liberal party at the behest of the Christian religions 🙄 trying to make it lawful to discriminate against homosexuality, the Islamic religions have NOT been a part of this effort which is quite telling.

interesting you dont see the haters jump all over that policy or Christian church’s on here.

Last edited:
A day or 2 after the game and no one will GAF, unfortunately that's how it goes.
Let's be honest here
Th3Gay and Trans community here in Australia has far more pressing issues to worry about.

This so called 'scandal' was raised by hypocritical Christian Right Wing Nutjobs trying to deflect from their own decades own politically and church endorsed homophobia

Naneen not willing to wear the Pride Jumper is disappointing but hardly a crime against humanity.

Also it won't stop the 100s of homophobic slurs I hear at the footy every week.

At the very least, this issue has given an otherwise tedious and mediocre AFLW season much needed media attention.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Gil McDildo actually orchestrated this whole fiasco tbh. He is a grub.

Everyone is entitled to their views. Whether people agree with her views is their choice.
She hasn't killed anyone or beaten anyone up. She's just expressed her view, which in Australia she's allowed to do.

I'm not sure if the AFL can afford to tolerate the intolerant.

The AFL must be inclusive and this means banning people with opposing views.

What if somebody tried to use religion as their reason for not believing transgender people should be allowed to play AFLW?

Time to nip this one in the bud.

Everyone is entitled to their views. Whether people agree with her views is their choice.
She hasn't killed anyone or beaten anyone up. She's just expressed her view, which in Australia she's allowed to do.

I do respect her choice.

But she has been advised badly here. Could have played the old injury card for a season or two each time the game is played and given more time to think about her choice. Thereby her choice is respected and at the same time not upsetting team mates and other players.

No one would have really clued on what was actually happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back