Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I'm probably not leaving it up to the judgement of a group of boozed-up blokes to judge what is and what's not harmless.
I do also question whether it might be harmless or not, too. Most people do know and understand that sexual assault and DV is wrong, but the AFL playing group is a big pool of young men drawn from all corners, and will have a few bad apples. Off the top of my head, Andrew Lovett, Tarryn Thomas, and Jesse Stringer (Geelong rookie) have all had serious accusations levelled.

My understanding of venues offering "Private Function" is that it implies attendance is restricted exclusively for invitees, not necessarily an 'anything goes" policy within that room that is bound by some strict confidentiality agreement.

I worked for years in a club that regularly had private functions, often involving well known sporting and entertainment celebrities, and even politicians at times. Whilst it never got really debaucherous - although there were some activities that went on that would be regarded as highly questionable today - we as employees were never bound by some confidentiality clause.

Any expectation of strict privacy in the sense that you're suggesting went out when they allowed people to carry devices with cameras, recording equipment etc everywhere they go. And trying to take those off people nowadays would be nearly as hard as trying to take semi-automatic weapons off Americans.
Ok then, I can see the definition is somewhat compromised from a face value definition of private.

I guess in that case the players couldn't have reasonably expected complete privacy and risked being exposed. Which I've conceded several times

In that case, in future, I'd argue footy players playing dress up at pubs shouldn't really be doing that because they risk exposure (as we've established exposure can't eliminated). Someone somewhere is going to take offence to something so best not go to the pub at all.

Does this explain it for you Dogs_R_Us ?

Ok then, I can see the definition is somewhat compromised from a face value definition of private.

I guess in that case the players couldn't have reasonably expected complete privacy and risked being exposed. Which I've conceded several times

In that case, in future, I'd argue footy players playing dress up at pubs shouldn't really be doing that because they risk exposure (as we've established exposure can't eliminated). Someone somewhere is going to take offence to something so best not go to the pub at all.

Sure. Find somewhere safe from technology if you are worried about exposure 🙂

I was with you until it was mentioned that the complaint was made directly to the club, and I was interested to see if you would concede some ground.

The fact that you doubled down was disappointing as you seemed to be making some fair arguments.

One could argue that making a complaint directly to the club could also be considered private in nature, so it is hardly escalating the situation...
I think you've misinterpreted, I never mentioned about any individual complaining directly to the club, afaik the complainant(s) complained to the AFL. Not directly to the club.

As I said earlier, ideally the players inform the establishment BEFORE their cringy behaviour (should've happened), the establishment should have the right to deny or allow, and from there (if the behaviour is allowed by establishment to go ahead) the staff have the choice to work the shift or not.

I think that's fair enough, and if it would've happened that way, the public doesn't know and we're not here discussing it.

Yeah I know it didn't go that way and that's not how it normally works when hiring a private room for function, I'm saying it SHOULD'VE happened that way.

We've been over this, If you can't comprehend my point, then we should leave it there.
Honestly mate, they will never get it because I think it's a reflection of a different world view and/or political mindset. There could be an IQ factor as well.

Some people just cannot understand the true complexities of an issue like this in terms of the broader implications of policing and punishing such behaviour (particularly to the extent that the AFL did with game bans and huge fines) that neither breaks any law nor was meant for public consumption.

Sheesh - what’s with the catastrophising?
Isn’t this the first mad Monday issue in quite some time? I don’t know- ever even? Doesn’t that tell you most of the players/clubs know where to draw the line? Carry on as usual I’d say to all the rest, and gws can lift their game.

Isn’t this the first mad Monday issue in quite some time? I don’t know- ever even? Doesn’t that tell you most of the players/clubs know where to draw the line? Carry on as usual I’d say to all the rest, and gws can lift their game.
Catastrophising, lol.

It's not that at all, it's merely stating the possibility. Wouldn't be surprised if clubs and managers request players 'don't do dress ups in public at pubs', because it's a possibility that someone may see it and be offended.

If you wanna call that hyperbole then well that's on you.

Catastrophising, lol.

It's not that at all, it's merely stating the possibility. Wouldn't be surprised if clubs and managers request players 'don't do dress ups in public at pubs', because it's a possibility that someone may see it and be offended.

I’d rather they said “… because someone’s going to recognise you, and film you, or record you, and we’ll get to hear about it, and whether you or we like it or not, there could be repercussions. That’s just the world we live in, and the price we pay for being well known.”

Catastrophising, lol.

Sure it is- please give me the list of other mad Mondays where players have been fined.

I’d rather they said “… because someone’s going to recognise you, and film you, or record you, and we’ll get to hear about it, and whether you or we like it or not, there could be repercussions. That’s just the world we live in.”
Yep, that sums it up, thanks Dogs_R_Us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since the dressups thing started with Geelong in the late 2000s (at least AFAIK), this is the first one I can think of. And even then, if it weren't for the skit, I don't think it would have gone public like it has.

I’d rather they said “… because someone’s going to recognise you, and film you, or record you, and we’ll get to hear about it, and whether you or we like it or not, there could be repercussions. That’s just the world we live in, and the price we pay for being well known.”
But do you seriously think the clubs haven’t already been giving these guidelines for years now? Isn’t this the sort of thing that is on the players’ radar all the time now?
And a handful of gws players are the only ones who haven’t understood the message? What does that tell us? More about that group of 6 players who didn’t get it, or more about the 99% who get it? I’m actually pretty chuffed that the vast majority of the players do have a clue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back