Rumour AFLW player refuses to wear pride jumper

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I look at it, religion, like work practices, need to be reviewed regularly. As we grow, our views and appreciation of practices changes. We see what happens and try improve.

I do know that the Anglican & Catholic Churches are regularly reviewing their practices. Anglicans accept women priests, the Catholic’s are redifining their view on women’s health.

Review and improve, from life’s experience’s.
Islam is fairly resistant to change, especially by external influences from the secular world. Islam won't mold to suit western liberal values.

Whether we like it or not, the corporate world promotes their own values, and it's expected that employees fall in line.
I don’t think we are quite at that point yet.

like I said, if I posted a rasicist or homophobic tirade on one of my social media channels, I dare say my employer would find out about it and I’d be sacked.

But if I decided to sit in my office, perform my duties, but not partake in whatever social cause my employer decided to promote for the day, I doubt they would be any consequence. At the moment people can largely get away with what ever private views they hold and talk about in there own home no matter how vile with no consequence. Its not often people are forced to celebrate or promote a social issue….yet.

Islam is fairly resistant to change, especially by external influences from the secular world. Islam won't mold to suit western liberal values.

Which is kind of sad as there was once a time when Islam was the progressive religion that were innovators in mathematics, science and even progressive thought. Now it is even more backwards than most religions.

I don’t think we are quite at that point yet.

like I said, if I posted a rasicist or homophobic tirade on one of my social media channels, I dare say my employer would find out about it and I’d be sacked.

But if I decided to sit in my office, perform my duties, but not partake in whatever social cause my employer decided to promote for the day, I doubt they would be any consequence. At the moment people can largely get away with what ever private views they hold and talk about in there own home no matter how vile with no consequence. Its not often people are forced to celebrate or promote a social issue….yet.
The difference being that playing AFLW is her work duty. Her employer values inclusion and promotes it through the uniform, her jumper.

I wonder why she was happy to play without wearing the jumper. Is it a lesser sin to promote gay pride by playing in the regular jumper? Lol

I do though find it hard to reconcile that she “respects people regardless of their sexual orientation BUT also ”I have a responsibility to respect my faith”
I'd assume it's the hive mind of the religious org that provides the pressure. If it was just faith, she'd play as god would know her heart.

The difference being that playing AFLW is her work duty. Her employer values inclusion and promotes it through the uniform, her jumper.

I wonder why she was happy to play without wearing the jumper. Is it a lesser sin to promote gay pride by playing in the regular jumper? Lol
And she hasn’t been sacked, has been allowed not to wear it and I dare say will play next week. Which to me means the AFL/AFLW are okay with someone not promoting it. If she come out and said I’m not wearing the jumper because all LGBTIQ are going to hell, the response would be different. Are we as a society okay with that ?

Which is kind of sad as there was once a time when Islam was the progressive religion that were innovators in mathematics, science and even progressive thought. Now it is even more backwards than most religions.
The Muslims running Spain a few a seasons ago showed deference to the Jewish monority there.

And she hasn’t been sacked, has been allowed not to wear it and I dare say will play next week. Which to me means the AFL/AFLW are okay with someone not promoting it. Are we as a society okay with that ?
It seems to be a mixed bag on social media. If her employer finds it acceptable, that's really all that matters. I suppose they don't want to whip up a storm in the Muslim community.

I'm uncomfortable about kowtowing to religion-based prejudice when it comes to social issues. Religion shouldn't give anyone a free pass for holding shitty views.

It seems to be a mixed bag on social media. If her employer finds it acceptable, that's really all that matters. I suppose they don't want to whip up a storm in the Muslim community.

I'm uncomfortable about kowtowing to religion-based prejudice when it comes to social issues. Religion shouldn't give anyone a free pass for holding shitty views.

Yep. In Florida right now they have introduced a law where even the topic of LGBTI will be completely banned in schools. Every book that mentions a gay person could and probably will be removed from the shelves and if teachers in theory mentioned that gay people were put into concentration camps in WW2 (a rather important fact) then the school can be sued by the parents.

Its certainly an interesting question. I kind of wish, it had occurred during the mens season, with a more high profile player/team. To see where people sit.

I don’t believe religion should come into it either. Yours views are your views regardless of the reasons behind them. And I dare say it wouldn’t, if she said in her statement, I don’t believe homosexual people should be afforded equal rights as straight people, so therefore I’m not wearing the jumper. I think she’d be in strife, which is what not wearing the jumper signifies. But because she hasn’t openly stated that, atm the AFL/AFW and their sponsors are fine with it.

Anyone who thinks Atheists and or Agnostics cannot be homophobic and or guilty of homophobic or transphobic bigotry is a deluded peanut.

I reckon most of the homophobic slurs you hear at the footy and or other sports come from those type of non believers tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bingo.

I appreciate it's not an easy position to be in, but you either believe in something on an individual level or you don't.

She should not be forced to put in a position of emotional blackmail.

We will start to become like Nazi Germany if we stop people from playing football if they cannot wear the Pride Jumper for Religious reasons.

We will start to become like Nazi Germany if we stop people from playing football if they cannot wear the Pride Jumper for Religious reasons.
I'm going to have pull you up on this crap.
Nazi Germany hated the gays. Muslims appear to hate the gays.
You can't spin it the other way.

I'm going to have pull you up on this crap.
Nazi Germany hated the gays. Muslims appear to hate the gays.
You can't spin it the other way.

Muslims were also hated by Nazi Germany and sent to death camps (do some research)

You are trying to manipulate people by trying to force them to give up their religion and deep beliefs if they want to continue playing professional football (or any other kind of gainful employment).

I am no fancy country lawyer, but sounds like something a fascist would do

There is much more healthier and productive ways to resolve this issue than what people like you are suggesting.

This is not something thay can be resolved by an edict of wear the jumper or **** off.

I hope Haneen can wear the jumper next year, she isn't going to if being pushed into a corner and face with lazy (thinking) ultimatums

Muslims were also hated by Nazi Germany and sent to death camps (do some research)

You are trying to manipulate people by trying to force them to give up their religion and deep beliefs if they want to continue playing professional football (or any other kind of gainful employment).

I am no fancy country lawyer, but sounds like something a fascist would do

There is much more healthier and productive ways to resolve this issue than what people like you are suggesting.

This is not something thay can be resolved by an edict of wear the jumper or **** off.

I hope Haneen can wear the jumper next year, she isn't going to if being pushed into a corner and face with lazy (thinking) ultimatums

If a person has bigoted values they should be called out on it. I don't care if those values come from a religion, it is no excuse.

If a person has bigoted values they should be called out on it. I don't care if those values come from a religion, it is no excuse.

Yes maybe, but don't you think it would be amazing for her, the Muslim and the LGBT communities if she can be talked around and persuaded to wear the jumper next season?

Let's not give up on her yet, shouldn’t we give the opportunity to change and evolve and able to change her mind and the wear the Pride Jumper, without compromising her religious beliefs?

I really really hope that can happen.

And she hasn’t been sacked, has been allowed not to wear it and I dare say will play next week. Which to me means the AFL/AFLW are okay with someone not promoting it. If she come out and said I’m not wearing the jumper because all LGBTIQ are going to hell, the response would be different. Are we as a society okay with that ?
Just read another story about it. Was done respectfully by all concerned. The action isn’t much different to Uzzie or Bachar excluding themselves from alcohol fuelled celebrations. Good on her for standing by her beliefs but also doing it in a respectful way which, by all reports has been accepted by her team mates.
Bigfooty Karen’s need to take a seat

LOL wut?

Personally I don't care if any player chooses not to wear a pride jumper or indigenous jumper or any other themed jumper. You advertise more about yourself by doing something of your own volition than just going along with the crowd.

Just don't hide behind it with 'religious reasons'. No one is asking this lass to drink alcohol or take off a veil or whatever. They are just asking all players in her team to wear a rainbow coloured jumper this week in support of LGBTQI people, of which I'd be surprised if less than half the team in question was made up from.

Her position is effectively 'I'm a Muslim, most Muslims don't believe in gay rights, so I am not wanting to be seen as pro gay rights' which as above - is fine. That is her position, just take away the first half of the sentence and you distill it to what it really is. Being religious and not supporting gay rights (for example) is fundamentally no different to not being religious and not supporting gay rights. Don't expect special treatment because you are on Team Jesus or Team Mohammed.

LOL wut?

Personally I don't care if any player chooses not to wear a pride jumper or indigenous jumper or any other themed jumper. You advertise more about yourself by doing something of your own volition than just going along with the crowd.

Just don't hide behind it with 'religious reasons'. No one is asking this lass to drink alcohol or take off a veil or whatever. They are just asking all players in her team to wear a rainbow coloured jumper this week in support of LGBTQI people, of which I'd be surprised if less than half the team in question was made up from.

Her position is effectively 'I'm a Muslim, most Muslims don't believe in gay rights, so I am not wanting to be seen as pro gay rights' which as above - is fine. That is her position, just take away the first half of the sentence and you distill it to what it really is. Being religious and not supporting gay rights (for example) is fundamentally no different to not being religious and not supporting gay rights. Don't expect special treatment because you are on Team Jesus or Team Mohammed.

She does not represent or speak for all Muslims, just as I don't believe Margaret Court, Israel Folau or Slow-Mo represent Christians.

Finally I don't recall her really asking for special treatment.

I understand your points you are making, but it's a bit more emotionally complex and difficult than what people like you think

She does not represent or speak for all Muslims, just as I don't believe Margaret Court, Israel Folau or Slow-Mo represent Christians.

Finally I don't recall her really asking for special treatment.

I understand your points you are making, but it's a bit more emotionally complex and difficult than what people like you think

Well she asking for special treatment as she is asking not to play in pride round.

Anyone who thinks Atheists and or Agnostics cannot be homophobic and or guilty of homophobic or transphobic bigotry is a deluded peanut.

I reckon most of the homophobic slurs you hear at the footy and or other sports come from those type of non believers tbh.

1st paragraph make a random argument against something literally no one has said.

2nd paragraph make a random statement about something which you have no actual idea if it’s true or not.

Thanks for your contribution, enjoying believing in your chosen sky wizard because u were brainwashed as a child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back