Game Day AFLW Rnd 1 - Carlton v Collingwood Game Day Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I won’t be watching that again. To me it looks like real Junior footy - 2 or 3 kids really know how to play & have the foot skills to hit team mates but the rest, well they’re still “learning” & just boot it away from their area without looking if any team mates are anywhere nearby. Last 14 or so years helping at both my kids junior footy Has looked similar up til about under 13’s - u15’s & onwards A grade teams though - they all know what they’re doing. Thought the standard of todays game would’ve been much higher being a few seasons in now.

"supporters" who won't be watching again because they're not happy with the standard.........must have stopped watching the blokes as well.........what are they watching, the tennis?

"supporters" who won't be watching again because they're not happy with the standard.........must have stopped watching the blokes as well.........what are they watching, the tennis?

cricket

Agreed, awesome to see some clear chains of possession and deliberate plays unfolding.

AFLW has come a long way already and the game has started to develop it's own personality and 'style' - The Pies sharing the ball, opening up little 10 metre kicks to get clear looks pretty unique to my eyes.

OK which one of us needs to report this post for mentioning 10 metre kicks but not including "dinky"?

I get what you're saying but at the same time I'm not going to waste my limited time on weekends watching an inferior product. Its like deciding between 2 movies to watch on Netflix. Both look interesting but one by all metrics isn't rated as high as the other. Common sense suggests you watch the "better" movie. The other superior product in this comparison is tennis. Which I know based on my experiences watching in the past, I'm watching the best in the world play and as an tennis player myself can analyse with a certain level of sophistication and appreciate the superior level of skill.

It's the same reason I don't watch the A-League even though I love and played soccer. The quality just isn't at a level that I'd be interested in spending multiple hours on weekends watching. The context is that it is supposed to be the elite level of sport in this country but the reality is in comparison to the established product it is vastly inferior.

AFLW is on the right track, it's just still not on a level where I can commit. The argument about the men's game is completely different. Even the worst team in the comp can routinely string together possessions, take contested marks and kick goals from relatively easy positions. Even Collingwood yesterday struggled to do most of the above (but were by far the better team still).
The comp needs more investment and a more professional commitment from all involved for it to take the next step.

Unfortunately we are hanging on to 1 or 2 players who should have been moved on a year or two ago.

Nat Plane who seems like quite the warrior and loved in the group but has battled for years now and for some reason we gave her a two year contract. Not sure if Maddy Guerin was injured or sick but she would have been a way better option than Plane.

Last edited:
Unfortunately we are hainging on to 1 or players who should have been moved on a year or two ago.

Nat Plane who seems like quite the warrior and loved in the group but has battled for years now and for some reason we gave her a two year contract. Not sure if Maddy Guerin was injured or sick but she would have been a way better option than Plane.
We are looking to enter a world of hurt in the next couple of years. Coaching panel resembles jobs for the boys, we need to get someone to work on structures and skills. With draft concessions for new teams next year we aren’t getting near the top kids. Then the elephant in the room with our stars ripe for the picking with protocols in place. Dare I say our Maddie is an ardent * girl. Recent clip had her lauding the pathway of a young girl wearing a Bombers jumper and lamenting that pathway had not been open previously.

We have some good youngsters, we desperately need to keep them together and we need to provide some optimism for the future to do so. We looked way off for preparedness. This Game Changers moniker is in danger of becoming an albatross. Not sure what the other clubs are doing, but too many seem ultra engaged on social media and happy in their skins. We seem to have a very relaxed program.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I won’t be watching that again. To me it looks like real Junior footy - 2 or 3 kids really know how to play & have the foot skills to hit team mates but the rest, well they’re still “learning” & just boot it away from their area without looking if any team mates are anywhere nearby. Last 14 or so years helping at both my kids junior footy Has looked similar up til about under 13’s - u15’s & onwards A grade teams though - they all know what they’re doing. Thought the standard of todays game would’ve been much higher being a few seasons in now.

I worked with a Crow dual premiership winner who still works full time in her usual career. Whilst the standard isn't 100% to what AFL is, it's improving greatly and at a speed at which cannot be attributed only to year on year progression.

I said to this person - in future years you will be lauded. You will be the pioneers of women's football in this country. Whilst I can't quite hark back to the days of the first seasons of VFA etc, I realise that the scores were very similar to AFLW if not worse. Those guys would be lauded today for what they did for the game. Clearly they did it for love of the game rather than money and recognition. The progression of men's football took 100 years to get to what it is today. I don't think it will take the women the same amount of time. I'd suggest that despite this person playing for hardly any money and still working full time (as the guys still did 30 years ago), she's paving the way for the next generation to make a living out of playing football. Which is really what it's about.

I too was taken aback by the standard a few years ago but now I think I get what the AFL are trying to do. Build from the top and thou shall follow. They've set up a great brand which I think brings people to the game (not to spectate, to play). We at our local club level have more girls joining football than boys. That concerns us in one aspect because we wonder what the girls game does that attracts so many that the boys doesn't. I think after watching the first Carlton game (year 1) vs what I saw yesterday the game is progressing in leaps and bounds. The difference for me is by looking at the bottom 6 of the list. They look more adept at playing footy than in year 1 - no offence to anyone who played in year 1.

So all I ask is, give it time.

We are looking to enter a world of hurt in the next couple of years. Coaching panel resembles jobs for the boys, we need to get someone to work on structures and skills. With draft concessions for new teams next year we aren’t getting near the top kids. Then the elephant in the room with our stars ripe for the picking with protocols in place. Dare I say our Maddie is an ardent * girl. Recent clip had her lauding the pathway of a young girl wearing a Bombers jumper and lamenting that pathway had not been open previously.

We have some good youngsters, we desperately need to keep them together and we need to provide some optimism for the future to do so. We looked way off for preparedness. This Game Changers moniker is in danger of becoming an albatross. Not sure what the other clubs are doing, but too many seem ultra engaged on social media and happy in their skins. We seem to have a very relaxed program.
Yeap when you look at it Bree grew up a Collingwood supporter the Hoskings were Tigers. This is the trend of the AFLW so I'm really nervous for us holding onto Maddie, and really hoping that a lot of future stars are Carlton supporters. Can't see this competition becoming compromised to quickly can you?

Yeap when you look at it Bree grew up a Collingwood supporter the Hoskings were Tigers. This is the trend of the AFLW so I'm really nervous for us holding onto Maddie, and really hoping that a lot of future stars are Carlton supporters. Can't see this competition becoming compromised to quickly can you?

The Hoskings were actually St Kilda supporters - same as Darcy Vescio. Yet they all stayed with us when the Saints entered.

Steph Chiocci (Collingwood co-captain) doesn’t hide that she supports the Carlton men’s side. Daisy Pearce also grew up a Blues supporter, and Tayla Harris was mad Tigers.

So doesn’t always happen.

I barely remember harf as a (hawks?) player.

I don’t recall him being on any coaching panel since retiring as a player. What coaching credentials did he have before joining us?
Coached Balwyn in the amateurs for quite a few years and a few flags I think. Also was part of Collingwood's AFLW coaching panel before joining us.

I get what you're saying but at the same time I'm not going to waste my limited time on weekends watching an inferior product. Its like deciding between 2 movies to watch on Netflix. Both look interesting but one by all metrics isn't rated as high as the other. Common sense suggests you watch the "better" movie. The other superior product in this comparison is tennis. Which I know based on my experiences watching in the past, I'm watching the best in the world play and as an tennis player myself can analyse with a certain level of sophistication and appreciate the superior level of skill.

It's the same reason I don't watch the A-League even though I love and played soccer. The quality just isn't at a level that I'd be interested in spending multiple hours on weekends watching. The context is that it is supposed to be the elite level of sport in this country but the reality is in comparison to the established product it is vastly inferior.

AFLW is on the right track, it's just still not on a level where I can commit. The argument about the men's game is completely different. Even the worst team in the comp can routinely string together possessions, take contested marks and kick goals from relatively easy positions. Even Collingwood yesterday struggled to do most of the above (but were by far the better team still).
The comp needs more investment and a more professional commitment from all involved for it to take the next step.

Difference being a Hollywood flop is disappointing because you're incorporating world class actors, world class writers, a world class director who haven't quite hit on a world class product.

AFLW might be local league standard, but that's kind of the point - it's enjoyable watching the slow growth in standard and development of players in it's short lifespan so far. If you don't have any huge expectations on how it's going to unfold you can't be disappointed, but even as a casual fan I could see some advancement, at least from a Collingwood POV, in that way the team structured up and moved the ball in general play.

Not sure if I'm going to watching a full season, but it's just nice having footy and the Blues back in any capacity.

I'll be switching to the Open when it's on too though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back