Game Day AFLW Rnd 1 - Carlton v Collingwood Game Day Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately we are hainging on to 1 or players who should have been moved on a year or two ago.

Nat Plane who seems like quite the warrior and loved in the group but has battled for years now and for some reason we gave her a two year contract. Not sure if Maddy Guerin was injured or sick but she would have been a way better option than Plane.
Guerin, Milford, and Sherar should have been out there instead of a few others.

Egan has broken ribs and punctured lung. Season ending you would think.
That would depend on the extent of both injuries. Most of the men tend to miss 2-4 weeks.

Moods the definite standout, but Kez also battled hard in defence as always. Kept Molloy quiet for a good portion of it too.

Liked what I saw from Jones as well. Hope we keep her in and give her a decent crack.

Unfortunately at the other end Schleicher seemed to once again have Darcy’s measure. Hopefully they can respond from that.

At what point does coaching come into question? Not much srems to have changed in last two seaaons.

Not after the first game Kat. We must lift and train the game day very hard. Comp got the jump on us . Must increase capability across the whole organisation. Come out brutal with instinct for how to play this unique sport . It’s team .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not after the first game Kat. We must lift and train the game day very hard. Comp got the jump on us . Must increase capability across the whole organisation. Come out brutal with instinct for how to play this unique sport . It’s team .

It's not the first game with Harf, though.

Under his watch we've had factions form in the side and lost a heap of first pick talent. There doesn't seem to be improvement in ball movement or retention.

Just bomb it in.

Individual performances aside, what's improved?

Where's the skill improvements?

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's not the first game with Harf, though.

Under his watch we've had factions form in the side and lost a heap of first pick talent. There doesn't seem to be improvement in ball movement or retention.

Just bomb it in.

Individual performances aside, what's improved?

Where's the skill improvements?

Can’t disagree . In game even when we were behind we didn’t try to arrest . Will play out but hopefully quickly . Composure . Our skills were concerning after the first game.

Under his watch we've had factions form in the side and lost a heap of first pick talent.

Have we? Who?

Davey and Harris the bigger names to leave the club. Neither were first round picks, though I'll concede that's a technicality.

Bri was a huge loss, but I'm not losing sleep over anyone else who has left the club.

Have we? Who?

Davey and Harris the bigger names to leave the club. Neither were first round picks, though I'll concede that's a technicality.

Bri was a huge loss, but I'm not losing sleep over anyone else who has left the club.

The twins had experience and were hard but we had to move on. The Olympian loss for mine.

Have we? Who?

Both Hosking's, Gay, Dalton. And we got virtually nothing back in trade from any of them.

We are giving up players in their prime for players who's best is past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"supporters" who won't be watching again because they're not happy with the standard.........must have stopped watching the blokes as well.........what are they watching, the tennis?
Well no - I’m not a “supporter” as I don’t generally watch AFLW for the reasons I mentioned. Just like I didn’t watch Carlton’s soccer team just cos it was “carlton” - I don’t watch soccer at any level generally other than australia playing World Cup . Watched 2nd half of the bulldogs & the whole blues game & for me personally, too many appear to not really “grasp” what to do, hence the comparison to the Junior levels.

The twins had experience and were hard but we had to move on. The Olympian loss for mine.

All had talent. Agree Dalton was the big loss given the game style we play.

Both Hosking's, Gay, Dalton. And we got virtually nothing back in trade from any of them.

We are giving up players in their prime for players who's best is past.

All those players are OK. None were picked in the first round and I'd argue only one (Dalton) is a genuine difference maker.

The Hosking twins are decent but not elite. Sarah we traded for O'Dea and Guerin, whilst we got 2 x top 25 picks for Jess.
I reckon we did well out of both these trades, and I don't think we've lost much given it's given the likes of McKay and Egan more midfield opportunities.

Gay I don't see as much but I'll concede we lost out there given she's still in the league and the players we got in return are no longer at the club.

Dalton as I said above is the biggest loss given the style of game we play, but again we were well compensated with JDP as well as picks 6 and 16 in the draft (whilst losing Loynes as well).

We've traded in some experience (JDP, O'Dea) but the bulk of what we've got in return has been youth.
With the talent coming through getting better and better and given where we're at as a side, I don't feel that's a bad result at all.

At what point does coaching come into question? Not much srems to have changed in last two seaaons.
It's a fair question. I've heard from another aflw team how great their pre season was. First time they didn't have to do basic kicking drills, players for the first time could kick off both feet, running numbers way up. We look like we haven't reached that stage.

Fair but the sort of improvement that's not visible tends to develop over full off and pre seasons. Not in between weeks 1 and 2.

I was a bit iffy on Harf last year after a couple of years so so performances. Seems nothing has changed.
We made a GF two years ago with a list which wasnt GF material - I think Harford can coach.

A little concerned however that our game plan is predicated on a defensive press and then catch the opposition napping on turnover. It really plays into a low-level skill game ... meaning we might not be focused on learning fine skills?

From a culture perspective, I don't like how we "retired" Loynes and Downie publicly when they were clearly cut. That Hosking number 2 as for a trade right at the end of the process was puzzling. I get why we played hardball with Harris - but what was the plan to replace her? As others have stated not having Dalton last year and then losing her altogether was the biggest blow from a list management perspective.

We made a GF two years ago with a list which wasnt GF material - I think Harford can coach.

A little concerned however that our game plan is predicated on a defensive press and then catch the opposition napping on turnover. It really plays into a low-level skill game ... meaning we might not be focused on learning fine skills?

From a culture perspective, I don't like how we "retired" Loynes and Downie publicly when they were clearly cut. That Hosking number 2 as for a trade right at the end of the process was puzzling. I get why we played hardball with Harris - but what was the plan to replace her? As others have stated not having Dalton last year and then losing her altogether was the biggest blow from a list management perspective.

Davey and Dalton are huge losses from that Grand Final team.

we also took advantage of the conference system in place that year and caused a huge upset in that semi final game against Fremantle to make the Grand Final that year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back