AFLW - Rnd 1 - Carlton v North - Sunday 3rd Feb 1.05PM @ North Hobart Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

NM playing by far the best women’s footy I’ve seen.

Good game plan and really clean skills.

They do have a lot of talent, but our lack of structure, speed, fitness and conditioning is allowing them space to look better than they are.

Don't be too surprised or disappointed when they drop back down to looking average next week, and the teams that we play rise to look better than usual.

We have a hell of a lot work to do. Not sure about Harford, input from Russell looks minimal.

Based on the fitness and transformation of some of those north players in 12 months vs our girls (who look and played roughly the same as last season) , you do wonder how seriously the club as a whole is taking this.

Took a quarter. Sound down. Commentators woeful.

Hope we are getting Russell to train up our women's team fitness crew. Need some more mids.
We had the ability to add midfield potency through Watt, Woods, Gee and McKay if we so wished. Two of them should have been selected ahead of two of Lucas-Rodd, Audley and Plane.

Brazzale has stepped up a little and her selection was vindicated, while everything else is a steaming turd compared to the competition standards.

We had the ability to add midfield potency through Watt, Woods, Gee and McKay if we so wished. Two of them should have been selected ahead of two of Lucas-Rodd, Audley and Plane.

Brazzale has stepped up a little and her selection was vindicated, while everything else is a steaming turd compared to the competition standards.
Agree re Brazzale. Not sure about the others as mids yet, but hope we give them the opportunity to show their wares next week.

I'd say the difference had nothing to do with fitness. Carlton looked outclassed all over the ground.

The one positive in my view is that Prespakis looks like she might be as good as the hype suggests. Now they just need to find 4-5 more women with enough talent to play through the midfield.

Serious question. Is it too early to expect AFLW players to be able to kick?

I'd say the difference had nothing to do with fitness. Carlton looked outclassed all over the ground.

The one positive in my view is that Prespakis looks like she might be as good as the hype suggests. Now they just need to find 4-5 more women with enough talent to play through the midfield.

They're getting players from all walks in earlty. If the comp had stayed at the same amount of teams you would have noticed a significant improvement already from year one, in much the same was as womens big bash has improved.

We lost Gillespie-Jones and Hardiman to north (got poached) and a good strong mark in Maddison Gay so what do we do to our backline? Take Davey out of it.

She should be playing at half back, so she can be in the middle when required.

Prespakis looked good but needs support in the midfield, nobody to get her clearances to.

Downie was undisciplined and gave away 3 goals.

Edwards, Bentley and Dalton looked good at times, Harrington too.

Loynes while tough and great to see her going for the ball, kicked two out on the full and killed momentum.

Needs to be better onfield communication, unable to hit targets with handballs and also choosing to panic handpass instead of booting the ball forward into space for our runners.

As for the rest of the game, umps did not pay a lot of thing, to both teams, which created an inconsistency for tackling in particular.

North have an amazing list and will be in the grand final, watch the afl change the rules on setting up new lists with the number of players that can be poached. We couldn't have recruited half their big names because we'd have to trade for them and they'd have to want to come to us in the first place. North just got to cherry pick the best or middle-top players from each victorian team.

I think everyone will struggle against them, I reckon we can take the crows at home next weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree that the biggest issue is the physical capacity of our players. We just looked smaller, weaker, slower and more fumble-fingered throughout the game. You cannot have Audley and Lucas-Rodd in the team. They are your classic WD if you were playing netball.

Credit to Loynes, just attacks the footy relentlessly, though she does need to tidy up her disposal. Prespakis showed good signs as expected and will be better for the run. Need Davey either in the guts or playing CHB.

They're getting players from all walks in earlty. If the comp had stayed at the same amount of teams you would have noticed a significant improvement already from year one, in much the same was as womens big bash has improved.
I totally agree that the standard would have been much better if they hadn't expanded the competition. Already I think that adding more teams has been a massive mistake. There was one player in the Magpies vs Geelong game that literally could not kick at all. That sort of thing reflects poorly on the whole competition. AFLW is supposed to be the elite level, so to me the standard is the brand.

North definitely have the most talented team in competition, AFLW gave them to much of a leg up.
It show how much cleaner they are and how much running power they have.

Prespakis, Edwards, Harrington, van dyk, Loyonslook very good.
Bri needs to play in the midfield and rest down forward.
Vescio should have some time in midfield as well.

Fitness level and skill level needs to be the main factor at training. Match simulation is fastest and best way. n point running laps and doing sprints now.

need to recruit mids with speed in the offseason.

Yeah they are surrounded by plodders.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
There's a solid 21 there, with a couple of solid backups. After that it's 4 kids and 3 strugglers. We played all 3 strugglers, and clearly don't have a professional fitness program (or a total lack of adherence).

Change the fitness program, and that small patch of plodders becomes a distant memory. We need to improve foot speed over time, but the ability to play 60 minutes of football is a huge problem right now, and has been for 3 years, including our VFLW season just passed.

I don't know how you can fail to correlate a lack of fitness as impacting athletic performance, execution and decision making.

We lost Gillespie-Jones and Hardiman to north (got poached) and a good strong mark in Maddison Gay so what do we do to our backline? Take Davey out of it.

She should be playing at half back, so she can be in the middle when required.

Prespakis looked good but needs support in the midfield, nobody to get her clearances to.

Downie was undisciplined and gave away 3 goals.

Edwards, Bentley and Dalton looked good at times, Harrington too.

Loynes while tough and great to see her going for the ball, kicked two out on the full and killed momentum.

Needs to be better onfield communication, unable to hit targets with handballs and also choosing to panic handpass instead of booting the ball forward into space for our runners.

As for the rest of the game, umps did not pay a lot of thing, to both teams, which created an inconsistency for tackling in particular.

North have an amazing list and will be in the grand final, watch the afl change the rules on setting up new lists with the number of players that can be poached. We couldn't have recruited half their big names because we'd have to trade for them and they'd have to want to come to us in the first place. North just got to cherry pick the best or middle-top players from each victorian team.

I think everyone will struggle against them, I reckon we can take the crows at home next weekend.
Why we didn't throw Gillespie-Jones a better deal I'll never know, but our defensive unit is reasonable, and should be fine longer term. The problem is more fundamental.

Audley and Loynes aren't good enough any more to be pillars of a VFL midfield, so why are they running around there at AFL level?

Kick to kick at training .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree that the biggest issue is the physical capacity of our players. We just looked smaller, weaker, slower and more fumble-fingered throughout the game. You cannot have Audley and Lucas-Rodd in the team. They are your classic WD if you were playing netball.

Credit to Loynes, just attacks the footy relentlessly, though she does need to tidy up her disposal. Prespakis showed good signs as expected and will be better for the run. Need Davey either in the guts or playing CHB.

Yep loynes and pres were our best. We better have a real crack this week on the training. track ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't know how you can fail to correlate a lack of fitness as impacting athletic performance, execution and decision making.

So you are telling me that thrashing came down to the fitness levels of the respective teams? Seriously?

As noted by others, the difference in body shape of our players when compared to North & in the current game, Melbourne & Freo, is quite stark, There seems to be a lot more lean, athletic types running around in the North, Melbourne & Freo teams. It is going to take awhile for the make up of our team to evolve into one similar to the more athletic teams,

Key statistical takeaways:

- Disposal differential of -44
- Uncontested possession differential of -36
- Marks differential of -33
- Tackle differential of -15 (-11 tackles inside 50 despite 3 more inside 50s)
- Clearances -10 (-7 at centre bounces)
- Disposal efficiency 59% to 66%
- Inside 50 effectiveness 35% to 65%
- North had 7 players with 15 possessions or more, Carlton had 1
- Vescio and Lucas-Rodd combined for 1 tackle

Not fit enough; not fit enough; not fit enough.

Last edited:
So you are telling me that thrashing came down to the fitness levels of the respective teams? Seriously?
Have you even been paying attention to AFL trends over the last 20 years? Fitter teams win more games.

Please don't even bother following up.

As noted by others, the difference in body shape of our players when compared to North & in the current game, Melbourne & Freo, is quite stark, There seems to be a lot more lean, athletic types running around in the North, Melbourne & Freo teams. It is going to take awhile for the make up of our team to evolve into one similar to the more athletic teams,
They can actually turn this around before the season's over if they're serious. You only need to look at our AFL players this pre-season to see what's possible when you're switched on about it.

Looked that way to me. If you're half a second slower as you're carrying too much weight and just not agile enough in the contest at the beginning of a quarter just imagine how exaggerated that discrepancy gets as the game progresses. The game heavily relies on athleticism. We showed none comparitavely

Looked that way to me. If you're half a second slower as you're carrying too much weight and just not agile enough in the contest at the beginning of a quarter just imagine how exaggerated that discrepancy gets as the game progresses. The game heavily relies on athleticism. We showed none comparitavely
And it's hot

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW - Rnd 1 - Carlton v North - Sunday 3rd Feb 1.05PM @ North Hobart Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back