AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously can’t go giving a tall forward flack on a first game. The balls hardly down the attacking 50 limited opportunity also.

Hate to be negative at this time of the year but tonight was nothing short of really disappointing. We had a near full-strength team and our lack of work rate really stood out from the get-go with us letting Gold Coast walk through us like a training drill. To lose the tackle count in a 50 point loss is particularly damning, the team chasing should always be in front on the tackle count.

We didn’t help ourselves by constantly fumbling and dropping uncontested marks that really are unacceptable at this level and our forward half ball use was well below AFLW standard. We just handed them the ball in our F50. Gold Coast scored 3 goals from our F50 and scored 7 goals from turnover which was the difference in the end.

Again like last week we also made some really basic errors such as not having players on the goal line for our set shots and giving away some lazy free kicks that cost us possession in the forward half.`

Some positives were that we did get our hands on the ball first and won the clearances and our ball use outside of forward 50 was decent with Fitzgerald and Grant linking up some nice chains and overall our second half was much better than the first.

Edmonds, Fitzgerald, Blackburn and Pritchard were clearly our best with Grant and Gorham particularly solid in the second half.

But at the end of day you just can’t let the opposition have 20+ inside 50s and +50 uncontested possessions, that’s all down to work rate and that was the biggest issue tonight and we really need to fix that up ASAP otherwise it’s going to be a very long year.

It was always going to be hard to work out what a pass mark for us this season would be. I don’t think finals were ever really on the cards and with a soft draw I can see us winning 2-3 games but I was really hoping for was for us to not have any results like the Sydney and North Melbourne games last year. Sadly tonight was one of those games.

We’ve got GWS in R1 which is a winnable game but I think all involved would like to see a significant improvement on tonight.

Last edited:
Hate to be negative at this time of the year but tonight was nothing short of really disappointing. We had a near full-strength team and our lack of work rate really stood out from the get-go with us letting Gold Coast walk through us like a training drill. To lose the tackle count in a 50 point loss is particularly damning, the team chasing should always be in front on the tackle count.

We didn’t help ourselves by constantly fumbling and dropping uncontested marks that really are unacceptable at this level and our forward half ball use was well below AFLW standard. We just handed them the ball in our F50. Gold Coast scored 3 goals from our F50 and scored 7 goals from turnover which was the difference in the end.

Again like last week we also made some really basic errors such as not having players on the goal line for our set shots and giving away some lazy free kicks that cost us possession in the forward half.`

Some positives were that we did get our hands on the ball first and won the clearances and our ball use outside of forward 50 was decent with Fitzgerald and Grant linking up some nice chains and overall our second half was much better than the first.

Edmonds, Fitzgerald, Blackburn and Pritchard were clearly our best with Grant and Gorham particularly solid in the second half.

But at the end of day you just can’t let the opposition have 20+ inside 50s and +50 uncontested possessions, that’s all down to work rate and that was the biggest issue tonight and we really need to fix that up ASAP otherwise it’s going to be a very long year.

It was always going to be hard to work out what a pass mark for us this season would be. I don’t think finals were ever really on the cards and with a soft draw I can see us winning 2-3 games but I was really hoping for was for us to not have any results like the Sydney and North Melbourne games last year. Sadly tonight was one of those games.

We’ve got GWS in R1 which is a winnable game but I think all involved would like to see a significant improvement on tonight.
Summed up perfectly. It was so disappointing. The skill level was appalling.

I know a family of a young player who has said they don't won't to be drafted to the Dogs, even though are long time Dogs supporters, and I understand why, based on the last couple of seasons, but was hoping we could turn things around on and off field.

Based on the last 2 weeks, on field certainly hasn't improved

Summed up perfectly. It was so disappointing. The skill level was appalling.

I know a family of a young player who has said they don't won't to be drafted to the Dogs, even though are long time Dogs supporters, and I understand why, based on the last couple of seasons, but was hoping we could turn things around on and off field.

Based on the last 2 weeks, on field certainly hasn't improved

What's most disappointing is that our biggest issues should be the easiest to correct. Work rate, tackling and basic skill errors should've been our main priority over the off-season as should have been our forward entries. Last night's game was close to a carbon copy of our losses to Sydney and North Melbourne last year. Let's not forgot that a major reason why Burke was sacked was that our fitness and work rate was nowhere near AFLW standard.

As we've had significant off-field changes and last night was the first time our near-best 21 took to the field I think it's only fair to wait until the actual season to make a proper judgment. Gold Coast were also half a game outside the top 4 last year and to their credit they were excellent last night.

We've got a very winnable game in R1 with GWS who finished 16th last season and have started this year poorly as well. We've got to spend the next fortnight laser-focused on work rate, if we can correct that it will go a long way but if against a team like GWS we put up a performance like last night it's going to be a long season.

Victoria University (VU) has been elevated to co-major partner of the Western Bulldogs AFLW team, further strengthening both its long-term allegiance with the Club and its prominent support of both our AFLW team and women’s sports more broadly.

The enhanced partnership will see the VU logo proudly adorn the front of the AFLW playing guernsey.
As part of VU’s commitment to women’s sport, the Victoria University Education and Professional Development Program will be introduced as part of the partnership elevation – with an aim to support Western Bulldogs AFLW players, coaches and staff with education opportunities while participating at the elite level.

VU Vice-Chancellor Professor Adam Shoemaker said he was proud to be strengthening the support of the AFLW team.

“We are world leaders in research and advocacy for women and sport. Many of the current Western Bulldogs AFLW players list are current VU or TAFE students, so it’s clear our support for female athletes extends well beyond what happens on the field,” Professor Shoemaker said.

“The VU Education and Professional Development Program will be dedicated to empowering women in football by creating valuable opportunities for personal and professional growth. It’s not just available to players, but also extends to coaches and staff, offering the chance to develop their leadership skills.
Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains was similarly thrilled.

“We at the Bulldogs are delighted to elevate our partnership with Victoria University, one of our longest standing Club partners,” he said.

“Over the years, VU has provided an incredible amount of support for our football programs and facilities, including a focus on our women’s program.

“With VU’s enhanced support, we will invest further in education opportunities for our AFLW players, enriching their lives and careers during their playing days and beyond, while also helping position the Western Bulldogs as a destination Club”.
VU and the Bulldogs first joined forces in the 1980s, forging one of the Club’s most integrated and successful partnerships. It was renewed last year for a further five years.

The Bulldogs will kick off their 2024 NAB AFLW campaign on Saturday 31 August against the GWS Giants at Manuka Oval.

Victoria University (VU) has been elevated to co-major partner of the Western Bulldogs AFLW team, further strengthening both its long-term allegiance with the Club and its prominent support of both our AFLW team and women’s sports more broadly.

The enhanced partnership will see the VU logo proudly adorn the front of the AFLW playing guernsey.
As part of VU’s commitment to women’s sport, the Victoria University Education and Professional Development Program will be introduced as part of the partnership elevation – with an aim to support Western Bulldogs AFLW players, coaches and staff with education opportunities while participating at the elite level.

VU Vice-Chancellor Professor Adam Shoemaker said he was proud to be strengthening the support of the AFLW team.

“We are world leaders in research and advocacy for women and sport. Many of the current Western Bulldogs AFLW players list are current VU or TAFE students, so it’s clear our support for female athletes extends well beyond what happens on the field,” Professor Shoemaker said.

“The VU Education and Professional Development Program will be dedicated to empowering women in football by creating valuable opportunities for personal and professional growth. It’s not just available to players, but also extends to coaches and staff, offering the chance to develop their leadership skills.
Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains was similarly thrilled.

“We at the Bulldogs are delighted to elevate our partnership with Victoria University, one of our longest standing Club partners,” he said.

“Over the years, VU has provided an incredible amount of support for our football programs and facilities, including a focus on our women’s program.

“With VU’s enhanced support, we will invest further in education opportunities for our AFLW players, enriching their lives and careers during their playing days and beyond, while also helping position the Western Bulldogs as a destination Club”.
VU and the Bulldogs first joined forces in the 1980s, forging one of the Club’s most integrated and successful partnerships. It was renewed last year for a further five years.

The Bulldogs will kick off their 2024 NAB AFLW campaign on Saturday 31 August against the GWS Giants at Manuka Oval.

Good on them!

Scoops being a player sponsor for Jas isnt a good look

The lad is a well known creep towards women online

Shame the club didn't noticed when he applied for it
I saw the picture whilst scrolling socials and had to do a double-take.

This is the last person I'd want associated with our club, really bad look.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pardon my ignorance but who is Scoops?
Don't know a lot about him but he's a St Kilda supporting dickhead who runs a "Trade, Rumour and Discussion page" on Facebook.

A dank tuft of rectal public hair of a human.

Hahahaha got blocked from that page
As a younger person who is more active on socail media, i'll give a small rundown for people who don't know who he is.

You're not the only one who is blocked, theres an entire facebook group for people who have been blocked.

Screen Shot 2024-08-23 at 11.40.59 am.png

He runs and AFL trade news page but it has become very AFLW focused in the past year. He Will block anyone who even half disagrees with him and unless its St Kilda (His team) he won't give anyone credit for a good performance. It will always be "Umpires, Cheating, luck ect". Here is an example after the 2020 elimination final.

Screen Shot 2024-08-23 at 11.48.01 am.png

He has recently been meeting up with AFLW draft prospects or players and has a "Goal Kicking" game with them or something similar.

Along with sexist comments such as these.

Screen Shot 2024-08-23 at 11.53.10 am.png Screen Shot 2024-08-23 at 11.53.22 am.png

Thats only two of many. Along with asking a girl who told him she was underage for explicit photos. Which I won't share those screenshots as you can imagine how disgusting they are.

Anyway this is honestly disgusting from the club that he was allowed anywhere near there, I just hope to god they didn't know all these details and made a mistake.

Don't want to give this dickhead much more time in the spotlight anyway. But thats the rundown.

Last edited:
As a younger person who is more active on socail media, i'll give a small rundown for people who don't know who he is.

You're not the only one who is blocked, theres an entire facebook group for people who have been blocked.

View attachment 2088370

He runs and AFL trade news page but it has become very AFLW focused in the past year. He Will block anyone who even half disagrees with him and unless its St Kilda (His team) he won't give anyone credit for a good performance. It will always be "Umpires, Cheating, luck ect". Here is an example after the 2020 elimination final.

View attachment 2088378

He has recently been meeting up with AFLW draft prospects or players and has a "Goal Kicking" game with them or something similar.

Along with sexist comments such as this.

View attachment 2088385View attachment 2088386

Thats only two of many. Along with asking a girl who told him she was underage for explicit photos.

Anyway this is honestly disgusting from the club that he was allowed anywhere near there, I just hope to god they didn't know all these details and made a mistake.

Don't want to give this dickhead much more time in the spotlight anyway. But thats the rundown.
Is he sponsoring the Dogs player?

Also, the above needs to be brought to the clubs attention, and they need to end any association he may have with the club

Also, the above needs to be brought to the clubs attention, and they need to end any association he may have with the club
Agreed, I don't have any connection to anyone inside of the club. Just an average supporter. But if theres anyone on here who is able to get to someone at the club and inform them of this then it should be done.

Seems he is :(

View attachment 2088370

View attachment 2088378

Along with sexist comments such as these.

View attachment 2088385View attachment 2088386

Thats only two of many. Along with asking a girl who told him she was underage for explicit photos. Which I won't share those screenshots as you can imagine how disgusting they are.

Yea I got blocked for a laughing emoji when he said Billings was better than Bont.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back