AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Losing Kirsty Lamb's grunt and experience is going to bite us hard this year.

GWS are a bottom tier side and they disposed of us like we were a reserve grade team. Which we looked like at times. Still seem to lack speed, spread, fitness and work-rate. I shudder to think how some of the better teams are going to put us to the sword this year.

Losing Kirsty Lamb's grunt and experience is going to bite us hard this year.

GWS are a bottom tier side and they disposed of us like we were a reserve grade team. Which we looked like at times. Still seem to lack speed, spread, fitness and work-rate. I shudder to think how some of the better teams are going to put us to the sword this year.

Our number draft pick got 1 disposal. Surely injured and off the field?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Our number draft pick got 1 disposal. Surely injured and off the field?

The 1 disposal was a handball after she dropped an easy mark.

We won't win a game for the season and will have a percentage of less than 30.

How much supposed high-end talent has come through the door that is either not there anymore or has not improved or impacted? The program is completely buggered. They continually look three years behind the competition in every respect.

% after R1: 12.5
Opponent: 800

Lucky there's no relegation system. Girls' teams from some of the secondary schools in Ballarat would beat us atm.

Are Port any good? That early game next week could be 'challenging'...

How much supposed high-end talent has come through the door that is either not there anymore or has not improved or impacted? The program is completely buggered. They continually look three years behind the competition in every respect.

Agree but how disappointing considering we were an inaugural club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The level of professionalism both on and off the field in the women's program at the club over recent years is a mile behind the rest of the league.

I wasn’t able to watch the game live as I was working at our VFL Men’s match but have just watched the replay and can’t help but be extremely disappointed with our performance for the third time in a row over the past month.

The issues that plagued us against Richmond, the issues that plagued us against the Gold Coast were the exact same issues that plagued us today. Work rate, basic skill errors and just completely panicking and unable to arrest any momentum that the opposition gets, but even seemed worse today.

With the exception of the first quarter and a half, the match was embarrassing. After McKee’s goal in the 8th minute of Q2, GWS had 21 shots from 29 entries, which is unacceptable at any level of football. We just couldn’t get our hands on the ball. We won the hitout count by 34 and hitouts to advantage by 13 and yet lost the clearance count 23-26. Where was the support for Blackburn, Pritchard and Edmonds around the ball?

Blackburn, Edmonds and Pritchard were so far ahead of anyone else today it sometimes felt that were our players on the ground. The fact that the AFL’s match report only listed those 3 as our best instead of the usual 5-6 players speaks volumes about how poor we were today. The other very worrying aspect is that those 3 players were also our best against Richmond and Gold Coast in the practice matches.

I’m not gonna criticise any first-year players as that would be unfair and in fact Grigg had really solid first match and I’m not really worried about any of our first-year players but there are plenty of our players in the 20+ career game bracket who have now had 3 poor performances in a row. These are experienced players who should know better.

Where was McFarlane? She averaged more goals for us than other player last year and yet she was an emergency? It’s baffling.

Yes, we are young but only slightly younger than West Coast were last night and our team today had a higher average career games and high median career games then West Coast along with 9 players with under 20 games experience compared to 12 that West Coast had. They also have a new coach and coaching staff and they were also smashed in both their practice matches and yet last night they played like a team that had learnt from their practice games. Even when Richmond came storming home and it looked like they would pinch it, West Coast didn’t panic in the last couple of minutes and managed to hold on. That is the sort of performance we as fans should be expecting and demanding.

The AFLW isn’t a participation competition, constructive criticism is not only warranted but now expected by the players. No one was expecting us to be in the top half of the ladder but performances like today cannot be sugar-coated, our team age can certainly explain some elements but our work rate and skills errors today cannot be excused.

Last edited:
1,749, not bad considering the Carrara average since COVID is 1,295. They generally only open up on section and that's usually on the broadcast side.

Yes, I thought that, but it’s a bad look.

I’m not gonna criticise any first-year players as that would be unfair and in fact Grigg had really solid first match and I’m not really worried about any of our first-year players but there are plenty of our players in the 20+ career game bracket who have now had 3 poor performances in a row. These are experienced players who should know better.
I was at the VFL and sure as hell won't watch the replay but 9 tackles to Grigg is at least something to take out of the game.

Early days maybe, but Gavelas getting just 4 disposals and Farquharson not being able to get a gig in this extremely weak team is further evidence of why our list manager was sacked.

Agreed, compare that to the Geelong match that's on now. The wings look like a great atmosphere.

Two Victorian teams, one with their men’s team still competing so it’s still footy fever time.
And nothing else to do in Geelong 😉

Why is our girls team so bad? Isn't it supposed to be an equal competition with a draft, salary cap etc?

Why are we acting like a feeder club?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back