AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I know stats in isolation are not much of a guide but the scoreline (46-6) is way out of kilter with the stats.

We matched them on nearly every stat except the scoreboard. Slightly down on kicks (123-137) and CPs (103-110) but 29-30 in i50s, 5-7 on marks i50, 6-4 on CMs, more hitouts, more clearances, fewer turnovers.

Looking at those stats you could understand going down by 3-4 goals. But we got smashed.
Can someone put all this into the context of what they saw on the ground?

I know stats in isolation are not much of a guide but the scoreline (46-6) is way out of kilter with the stats.

We matched them on nearly every stat except the scoreboard. Slightly down on kicks (123-137) and CPs (103-110) but 29-30 in i50s, 5-7 on marks i50, 6-4 on CMs, more hitouts, more clearances, fewer turnovers.

Looking at those stats you could understand going down by 3-4 goals. But we got smashed.
Lack of any system going forward, poor decision making going forward, poor goal kicking

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We butchered a couple of what should have been easy goals, a couple by dropped chest marks & a couple by bad kicking. They moved the ball from end-end quite well and made the most of their chances.

Lack of any system going forward, poor decision making going forward, poor goal kicking

Why is that ...
Youth and inexperience?
Poor coaching?
Not enough time together under the new coach?
Not enough raw talent on the list?

Some improvements tonight but still overall disappointing.

We definitely looked liked we wanted to the ball tonight and after being -112 in uncontested possessions last week, we turned that around to be +20 tonight. We also won the clearance count which was a positive and time in forward half was also relatively even as well.

Inside 50s were even which was a big improvement on last week, but our ball use inside 50 was nothing short of horrendous with our kicking efficiency inside 50 being a league record low 13% to Port Adelaide’s 65%. Given the shots at goal we had we should’ve kicked at least 2 and probably 3.

Once again Blackburn, Edmonds and Pritchard led the way and I was particularly impressed with Carruthers tackling and Grigg’s efforts around the ball, she’s going to be a very good player. Loved Hartwig’s aerial work as well.

What was really disappointing tonight was our team tackling which we were -20 and we had 6 players fail to lay a single tackle, compared to Port Adelaide with 1. Our ball use also cost us dearly with all but 1 of Port Adelaide’s goals coming from turnover. We just seem to want to kick the ball forward no matter what, not sure if that’s just a young team panicking or a broader issue but it’s definitely something that needs to be worked on.

Both teams dropped their fair share of marks but we dropped far too many uncontested chest marks and it directly cost 3 goals.

It’s clear that we are 5%-10% off on our basic skills, that’s a little concerning even for a young team, but if we can fix that up it’ll go a fair way at stopping the opposition from getting easy entries and allow us to hold possession and be able to move the ball more freely.

Obviously we’re at the beginning of a rebuild and it looks like a long road ahead but I feel tonight despite the score and margin we actually took some steps in the right direction. We’re winning the ball enough at the source and are able to get the ball forward but we just can’t keep it in our forward 50 and struggle to defend the turnover. I’d like to see us work on our defending over the next couple of weeks and try to stop the bleeding on those scores from turnovers.

Last edited:
Just watched the press conference with the coach still being positive, balh blah, talking coach clique's , gee whizz we didnt score a goal in 4 quarters of football, we were dreadful, really hope some hard truths were told behind closed doors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is that ...
Youth and inexperience?
Poor coaching?
Not enough time together under the new coach?
Not enough raw talent on the list?
All bar poor coaching. Has not been with the group long enough to have an impact

Just watched the press conference with the coach still being positive, balh blah, talking coach clique's , gee whizz we didnt score a goal in 4 quarters of football, we were dreadful, really hope some hard truths were told behind closed doors.

It didn't come across that way to me, Hyett specifically pointed out that we weren't doing the basics, our poor ball use and our poor inside 50 entries, as well as potential positional changes next week.

After the entire department was rebuilt from the ground up, I don't think it would do anyone any favours going completely off at a press conference this early.

Some improvements tonight but still overall disappointing.

We definitely looked liked we wanted to the ball tonight and after being -112 in uncontested possessions last week, we turned that around to be +20 tonight. We also won the clearance count which was a positive and time in forward half was also relatively even as well.

Inside 50s were even which was a big improvement on last week, but our ball use inside 50 was nothing short of horrendous with our kicking efficiency inside 50 being a league record low 13% to Port Adelaide’s 65%. Given the shots at goal we had we should’ve kicked at least 2 and probably 3.

Once again Blackburn, Edmonds and Pritchard led the way and I was particularly impressed with Carruthers tackling and Grigg’s efforts around the ball, she’s going to be a very good player. Loved Hartwig’s aerial work as well.

What was really disappointing tonight was our team tackling which we were -20 and we had 6 players fail to lay a single tackle, compared to Port Adelaide with 1. Our ball use also cost us dearly with all but 1 of Port Adelaide’s goals coming from turnover. We just seem to want to kick the ball forward no matter what, not sure if that’s just a young team panicking or a broader issue but it’s definitely something that needs to be worked on.

Both teams dropped their fair share of marks but we dropped far too many uncontested chest marks and it directly cost 3 goals.

It’s clear that we are 5%-10% off on our basic skills, that’s a little concerning even for a young team, but if we can fix that up it’ll go a fair way at stopping the opposition from getting easy entries and allow us to hold possession and be able to move the ball more freely.

Obviously we’re at the beginning of a rebuild and it looks like a long road ahead but I feel tonight despite the score and margin we actually took some steps in the right direction. We’re winning the ball enough at the source and are able to get the ball forward but we just can’t keep it in our forward 50 and struggle to defend the turnover. I’d like to see us work on our defending over the next couple of weeks and try to stop the bleeding on those scores from turnovers.
They haven’t even played a “good” team yet

Aurora Smith and Bri McFarlane will play their first AFLW games of the season against West Coast on Thursday night at Mission Whitten Oval.

The duo have been added to the line-up, replacing Cleo Buttifant (injured) and Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner (managed).

Both Smith and McFarlane will start on the bench, alongside Jorja Borg, Brooke Barwick and Brit Gutknecht – the latter who celebrates her 25th career match.
The Bulldogs will have further reason to celebrate, with skipper Deanna Berry and key defender Lauren Ahrens also notching up their 50th AFLW games.

It marks a journey of resilience for Berry, who could’ve reached the milestone earlier had it not been for injury, while Ahrens’ achievement comes after 47 games at Gold Coast across five seasons.

Kaylee Kimber, the Bulldogs’ injury replacement player signing, has been named an emergency for the clash, as has Heidi Woodley and Ellie Gavalas.

Jeez what an earth is going on with Ellie gavalas? Brought across as a senior player and can’t get a look in after 1 game?

She played quite well vs Richmond in the practice game as a midfielder, but has seemingly been pigeon holed as a forward since?

Jeez what an earth is going on with Ellie gavalas? Brought across as a senior player and can’t get a look in after 1 game?

She played quite well vs Richmond in the practice game as a midfielder, but has seemingly been pigeon holed as a forward since?

Yeah it's a strange one I would've had Gavalas and McFarlane both in from the get-go, both performed well in the Richmond practice which has also been our best performance of the year so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back