AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Fitness definitely an issue. We were sprinting on top of the ground in the first quarter. There was some nice run from behind (one play involving Georgostathis and Pritchard stands out) but we've reverted to static play.

Definite Improvement from last week given the circumstances. Cannot fathom how shit we would be without Blackburn. Although, it Looks to be a rough year all around for the club. So get around our VFL boys. May be our last hope for bringing home some silver ware this year.

For goodness sake, commentators. Talking WC's win up, saying that they'd come from 17th on the ladder last year, winning only two games. Never mind that they just beat the team that finished 18th with one less win. And lost several experienced players over the off season.

For goodness sake, commentators. Talking WC's win up, saying that they'd come from 17th on the ladder last year, winning only two games. Never mind that they just beat the team that finished 18th with one less win. And lost several experienced players over the off season.
And had kicked 1 goal in 2 weeks

Much better tonight, we’ve really struggled in first quarters this year but we really couldn’t have asked for a better start. The entire team was switched on and we moved and used the ball well.

I thought we really improved on our tackling and pressure tonight as well but also have to give credit to West Coast, their tackling and pressure were outstanding, probably the best it’s ever been for them.

What was disappointing particularly after QT was our discipline and giving away far too many lazy free kicks. It was clear that the players were directed to go hard on tackling but you just can’t give up 30 free kicks (second highest ever in an AFLW match). Pre-clearance free kicks were 5-14, that’s handing West Coast 9 extra clearances which is unacceptable really. It’s not only handing them clearances but also territory. There were half a dozen times tonight where we had all the play and then gave away a lazy free kick. It cost us dearly, but the positive is that sort of thing is easy to fix up.

Blackburn, Pritchard and Edmonds again were the clear standouts but I thought Fitzgerald had a really strong game, as did Wilcox. Carruthers tackled well (despite giving away a few over the shoulder), Grigg keeps getting better and better and we started to see what Barwick can do with the ball.

The forward line is still very much our biggest issue, we just don’t have the players required at the moment. McFarlane certainly added some much needed height but she only played 61% of the match, I’d like to see that number much closer to 85%. We’re getting plenty of entries but unless we get a mark or a free kick, it’s out of there pretty damn quick. Despite that, we did finish with 8 shots, while West Coast finished with 10 which shows that we are getting enough of the ball forward.

Here’s hoping Blackburn’s injury is not too serious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much better tonight, we’ve really struggled in first quarters this year but we really couldn’t have asked for a better start. The entire team was switched on and we moved and used the ball well.

I thought we really improved on our tackling and pressure tonight as well but also have to give credit to West Coast, their tackling and pressure were outstanding, probably the best it’s ever been for them.

What was disappointing particularly after QT was our discipline and giving away far too many lazy free kicks. It was clear that the players were directed to go hard on tackling but you just can’t give up 30 free kicks (second highest ever in an AFLW match). Pre-clearance free kicks were 5-14, that’s handing West Coast 9 extra clearances which is unacceptable really. It’s not only handing them clearances but also territory. There were half a dozen times tonight where we had all the play and then gave away a lazy free kick. It cost us dearly, but the positive is that sort of thing is easy to fix up.

Blackburn, Pritchard and Edmonds again were the clear standouts but I thought Fitzgerald had a really strong game, as did Wilcox. Carruthers tackled well (despite giving away a few over the shoulder), Grigg keeps getting better and better and we started to see what Barwick can do with the ball.

The forward line is still very much our biggest issue, we just don’t have the players required at the moment. McFarlane certainly added some much needed height but she only played 61% of the match, I’d like to see that number much closer to 85%. We’re getting plenty of entries but unless we get a mark or a free kick, it’s out of there pretty damn quick. Despite that, we did finish with 8 shots, while West Coast finished with 10 which shows that we are getting enough of the ball forward.

Here’s hoping Blackburn’s injury is not too serious.
I always love your summary and have agreed with you in the past in regards to the silly free kicks we give away, but not tonight. I've never seen such one sided umpiring.

And the one that really annoyed me was where we finally got a free kick, and rather giving the ball back to the player, the WCE player gave it to the umpire. That is an instant 50m penalty that would have put us in the goal square.

I always love your summary and have agreed with you in the past in regards to the silly free kicks we give away, but not tonight. I've never seen such one sided umpiring.

And the one that really annoyed me was where we finally got a free kick, and rather giving the ball back to the player, the WCE player gave it to the umpire. That is an instant 50m penalty that would have put us in the goal square.

There were definitely some howlers but the majority were there in my opinion especially the high and holding ones. We did get absolutely robbed on that missed 50 you mentioned and I feel that we were given next to no time with the holding the balls against us, while West Coast had an eternity. The ones I was pointing out in my other post were mainly the ones at stoppage prior to the clearance where we just grabbed a jumper or had an arm high.

Overall though I do agree that the umpiring overall was poor, what we want as fans is just consistency and that's something the AFLW has never had, it's arguably the only area that has not seen any improvement since 2017.

There were definitely some howlers but the majority were there in my opinion especially the high and holding ones. We did get absolutely robbed on that missed 50 you mentioned and I feel that we were given next to no time with the holding the balls against us, while West Coast had an eternity. The ones I was pointing out in my other post were mainly the ones at stoppage prior to the clearance where we just grabbed a jumper or had an arm high.

Overall though I do agree that the umpiring overall was poor, what we want as fans is just consistency and that's something the AFLW has never had, it's arguably the only area that has not seen any improvement since 2017.
Definitely agree the effort was great,

first time ive watched this year. the talent seems a little thin though, with another wooden spoon likely, how has the club let so many players go without bringing in more mature talent?

First time I have watched it and i'm not comparing it to the men, but it was a very disappointing spectacle. The commentators try to ramp it up I get it, but it borders on insulting and embrassing when they are trying to talk about how elite the skill level is.

First time I have watched it and i'm not comparing it to the men, but it was a very disappointing spectacle. The commentators try to ramp it up I get it, but it borders on insulting and embrassing when they are trying to talk about how elite the skill level is.

Unfortunately Dogs and Eagles are two weak teams. This is the league where you watch North Melbourne and Adelaide games to see elite play.

I don’t think we’ll score v BL.

Only against BL?!

Blackburn is a standout as the best AFLW player we've had. Her missing the rest of the season is the worst possible scenario for a young team that was going to struggle even with her in the team. She's again been our best player in r1 and r2, and not far off in r3.

Lucky she's contracted until the end of 2027...

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back