AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

A frustrating and disappointing game today. Lot’s of positives in that first half winning the clearance and inside 50 counts but just had no forward structure whatsoever. North had 5 uncontested intercept marks inside our forward 50 while we had none. In that first quarter when North had the breeze we refused to play a loose back, so North were able to bomb it inside and either mark it or bring it to a stoppage and when we did have the breeze we were playing in front and leaving to the ball to sail over our heads to the North defenders.

But it all really fell apart after Ahrens and Berry were ruled out at HT along with the rain, we just lost all our confidence and any remaining structure with it. I know we’re young and inexperienced and playing the best team in it, but it doesn’t make it any less frustrating, especially around the basics with far too many missed tackles and direct turnovers.

I really don’t understand why we played so defensively, it was clearly a directive as we have not been playing like that over the last month. This game was always going to be a loss and surely it would’ve been a great chance to actually take the game on and run the ball through the corridor, but we pretty exclusively used the broadcast boundary every time and it became predictable.

We actually looked really good when we were moving the ball from our defensive half and had some really good chains but it was just that last kick inside 50 that killed us every single time.

It certainly didn’t help giving away 30 free kicks for the match, North definitely got the run of the umpires today and there were some absolutely shocking decisions but North still scored 3.4 (22) from free kicks and 50 metre penalties which was significant.

We also did really well at stoppages, particularly in that first half and I thought Edmonds and Pritchard really held their own against a very strong North midfield.

Fitzgerald had a really good game and was one of the few to take the game on and I was very impressed with Farquharson as well considering this was her first proper game in almost 2 years. Lot’s of upside there. Gorham and Georgostathis had good games as well with Gorham really starting to build some solid form and I thought Carruthers tackled well.

Overall I just thought we missed a really good opportunity today to try and be aggressive and move the ball with pace and that was disappointing but given the rain and injuries I don’t there’s much point reading too much into this game. Hopefully we spend the next week working on those forward 50 entries.

The Western Bulldogs have made four changes for Friday night’s Pride Round outing against Essendon.

Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner and Elle Bennetts return to the line-up after being managed last week, while Bree McFarlane and Brooke Barwick have also been recalled.

They come in at the expense of Naomi Ferres, Analea McKee, Ellie Gavalas and Lauren Ahrens (injured), the latter who will be sidelined for the remainder of the season with a foot injury.
The Dogs will host the Dons in the marquee match of Pride Round on Friday night at Mission Whitten Oval, with the first bounce set for 7.15pm AEDT.

The inaugural Pride Game was established by the Bulldogs and Carlton in 2018 and has since evolved into a league-wide round dedicated to celebrating diversity and inclusion while supporting the LGBTIQA+ community.

To mark the occasion, the Bulldogs will again wear a guernsey inspired by the colours of the Transgender Pride Flag.

The game will be broadcast on 7Mate, Fox Footy and Kayo.

The Western Bulldogs have made four changes for Friday night’s Pride Round outing against Essendon.

Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner and Elle Bennetts return to the line-up after being managed last week, while Bree McFarlane and Brooke Barwick have also been recalled.

They come in at the expense of Naomi Ferres, Analea McKee, Ellie Gavalas and Lauren Ahrens (injured), the latter who will be sidelined for the remainder of the season with a foot injury.
The Dogs will host the Dons in the marquee match of Pride Round on Friday night at Mission Whitten Oval, with the first bounce set for 7.15pm AEDT.

The inaugural Pride Game was established by the Bulldogs and Carlton in 2018 and has since evolved into a league-wide round dedicated to celebrating diversity and inclusion while supporting the LGBTIQA+ community.

To mark the occasion, the Bulldogs will again wear a guernsey inspired by the colours of the Transgender Pride Flag.

The game will be broadcast on 7Mate, Fox Footy and Kayo.
Ahrens is a substantial loss but I'm happy with these changes.

Ferres has fallen off a cliff from being a solid defender and I suspect will get delisted at season's end.

Gavelas has been a major disappointment. She has had very limited impact, appears unfit and her kicking is meh.

McKee looks slow whilst her replacement McFarlane at least has more mobility and the knack of scoring a goal.

I thought Bennetts played her best match for us against the Swans and it's good to get more development into KLWT and Barwick.

Tonight we’ll field our youngest ever AFLW team and the 4th youngest ever in the AFLW history with 6 teenagers and 13 players under 23.

Obviously injuries played a part in this but I like this move, we’ve got a month left so let’s get those games into our youth. Our first 4 picks from last year’s draft are in this week and barring any injuries I’d like to see them in for the remainder of the season.

What I’d like to see tonight, tackles that stick, fewer bombs inside 50 and fewer ill-disciplined free kicks.

Here’s how we match up against Essendon…

Western Bulldogs / Essendon - R7 2024 - Whitten Oval

Avg. Career Games
: 26.8 / 36.0
Median Career Games: 19 / 33

1-10 Games Experience: 6 / 3
11-30 Games Experience: 7 / 7
31-49 Games Experience: 5 / 6
50+ Games Experience: 3 / 5

Avg. Age: 22.9 / 25.4

Under 21 Years Old: 7 / 6
Aged 21-24 Years Old: 10 / 2
Over 25 Years Old: 4 / 12

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll support the AFLW against those who disparage it, but it’s really easy for those people to take pot shots at it right now. The scoring is insanely low, and the skills are really lacking across most teams outside the top few. That kick oof running into goal was pretty horrible.

I don’t think they’ve been done any favours by this compressed fixture, but unfortunately that won’t be offered as an excuse. Hopefully the quality picks up soon.

I’ll support the AFLW against those who disparage it, but it’s really easy for those people to take pot shots at it right now. The scoring is insanely low, and the skills are really lacking across most teams outside the top few. That kick oof running into goal was pretty horrible.

I don’t think they’ve been done any favours by this compressed fixture, but unfortunately that won’t be offered as an excuse. Hopefully the quality picks up soon.
Coaches are the issue tonight game can’t afford teams playing multiples free behind the ball like this

Every time we have it 50 or 60 out there is no one leading. Hate seeing players having shots or just trying to get it as long as possible when it's outside their range, we need movement and to try and hit a forward up 20-30 out.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back