AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

A further couple of points on this.
The harshness of the penalty is compounded by two things: (1) the low scoring in AFLW, so the reasonable likelihood of a goal from a 50m penalty is felt much more than in higher scoring AFLM, and (2) the patently poor standard of umpiring in AFLW, means you are almost as likely to get a dud 50m penalty as you are a deserved one.

Absolutely, 25m makes so much more sense, it’s just another in a long line of no brainers that could easily improve the AFLW, that the AFL ignore.

What is becoming more and more clear with each game is that the compressed fixture is actively harming the development of the competition. Not that this is a surprise to anyone (including those at HQ) but just look at the youngest and least experienced teams at the moment, all are struggling with running out games and scoring.

Dogs and Eagles are the youngest teams this week and have scored 1 goal between them. Essendon are coming off 4 games in just over 2 weeks and kicked just 1 goal that wasn’t from a 50 metre penalty.

A compressed fixture with list sizes at 30 is pure insanity and never should’ve even been considered, but I’m glad so many including many in the media calling it out for what it is.

It certainly doesn’t excuse how mind-boggling defensive game style last night, but it can explain how we’re struggling to run out matches.

Hawks looking annoyingly good in the women’s game as well. They’ll score goals on most teams in the comp, could be a decent shout for the flag.

Richmond got out of jail I thought. They’re pretty good too but can’t see them winning it all.

Absolutely, 25m makes so much more sense, it’s just another in a long line of no brainers that could easily improve the AFLW, that the AFL ignore.

What is becoming more and more clear with each game is that the compressed fixture is actively harming the development of the competition. Not that this is a surprise to anyone (including those at HQ) but just look at the youngest and least experienced teams at the moment, all are struggling with running out games and scoring.

Dogs and Eagles are the youngest teams this week and have scored 1 goal between them. Essendon are coming off 4 games in just over 2 weeks and kicked just 1 goal that wasn’t from a 50 metre penalty.

A compressed fixture with list sizes at 30 is pure insanity and never should’ve even been considered, but I’m glad so many including many in the media calling it out for what it is.

It certainly doesn’t excuse how mind-boggling defensive game style last night, but it can explain how we’re struggling to run out matches.
I really don't understand the harm in starting the season earlier in the season - early August or late July or whatever.

I get that when it might have clear air a few rounds into the season, some of the AFLW teams might already be out of finals contention. But that's happening now anyway with realistically 6-8 teams out of finals contention before the first round is even played and the fact that we won two games surprisingly not really changing the season outlook for our club (though the wins were nice itself).

But the flipside is the fans can be invested in their women's team when their men's team is doing crap, cross-promotion etc.

The main reason I can think of is just clubs just don't want their resources stretched with three senior teams with AFL M reserves teams playing at the same time.

Hawks looking annoyingly good in the women’s game as well. They’ll score goals on most teams in the comp, could be a decent shout for the flag.

Hate to say it and even though the last 4 expansion teams were given a ridiculous amount of concessions from the AFL, Hawthorn does deserve a lot of credit in the program they've developed. Really good integration between their men's and women's programs and invested heavily in playing AFLW listed players in their VFLW program. That's something I'd love us to do more of.

I really don't understand the harm in starting the season earlier in the season - early August or late July or whatever.

I get that when it might have clear air a few rounds into the season, some of the AFLW teams might already be out of finals contention. But that's happening now anyway with realistically 6-8 teams out of finals contention before the first round is even played and the fact that we won two games surprisingly not really changing the season outlook for our club (though the wins were nice itself).

But the flipside is the fans can be invested in their women's team when their men's team is doing crap, cross-promotion etc.

The main reason I can think of is just clubs just don't want their resources stretched with three senior teams with AFL M reserves teams playing at the same time.

From what I understand the AFL has always wanted "clean air" for the AFLW, to give it the biggest number of eyes on the game. This is also why they wanted every game to be broadcast on TV and not go down the WBBL avenue of having some games broadcast, with the others streamed.

You could make a case that worked in the early seasons with just 8 teams, but now with a full competition, it's just unsustainable. Look at every other code, they have double headers and games scheduled against men's. There are plenty of benefits of moving to that system, more games at stadiums which generally produce a far better product, broadcasters and clubs are happier with not having to present at two venues and fewer games out in the sticks at say Casey or Frankston.

Off topic and based on my impression only but are the women more prone to knee injury than the men? Has this been proven statistically or is the sample size too small yet?
I certainly don't have stats to back it up, but this HAS to be real, surely. Feels like there's twice the amount of ACLs happening in the women's comp in half as many games.

I think you'll find the season is moved forward next year, with the AFLW finals being played in October.
Certainly looks like the way it is heading.

Not sure how it will grow or increase spectators when it will be in direct competition to the AFL men's.

It is a very different product, and in comparison to the men's a substandard product.

When it was in the off season all Aussie Rules to watch was AFLW, had the market to themselves both from a TV, streaming and attendance perspective.

The issue was the heat during the day which surely could have been overcome playing the majority of games at night.

The AFL has really not helped the competition and there is a real issue as to whether it will recover

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Certainly looks like the way it is heading.

Not sure how it will grow or increase spectators when it will be in direct competition to the AFL men's.

It is a very different product, and in comparison to the men's a substandard product.

When it was in the off season all Aussie Rules to watch was AFLW, had the market to themselves both from a TV, streaming and attendance perspective.

The issue was the heat during the day which surely could have been overcome playing the majority of games at night.

The AFL has really not helped the competition and there is a real issue as to whether it will recover

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Cross-promotion with the men's AFL competition and the fact that people are already conditioned to treat footy as a winter sport.

I am concerned with lower level women's players themselves physically not being able to go to games as they're the ones playing on the same days at the same time though. They'd currently be contributing a fair chunk to the crowd.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back