Autopsy After a tight😶 half of football we steamroll Essendon by 39

Remove this Banner Ad

In that 3rd qtr you could see very clearly that we decided to flick a switch and start playing with more intent. It was like post bridge in a movie where we all of a sudden get our powers back leading to a happy ending. For the love of god what is it? What is it, at what point do we decide to use it, who decides that we're going to use it, and why can't we just use it all the time? It truly is bizarre.

Also special mention to Hayward, what an immense effort he has put out the last month. To think many fans thought he was an unnecessary player who didn't deserve a wage - have some of that. And be better. Make an effort to understand positional roles and that it's not always going to be their turn.

I rarely boast about getting it right when it comes to players because I think it’s always so easy in hindsight but with Hayward (and Mills) I can’t believe there was so much noise about not giving him a contract because it’ll push Warner out and, in Mills’ case, how he should still be in the twos because he offers nothing.

Hayward has also kept us in a few games this year and clearly revs the team up. He’s invaluable to us.

Both calls were embarrassing before hindsight and even more embarrassing now.

I’ll also admit to calling Parker a see ball, get ball hack-merchant, which to be fair was only describing his midfield clearances. I love the guy and I’m so glad he’s back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rarely boast about getting it right when it comes to players because I think it’s always so easy in hindsight but with Hayward (and Mills) I can’t believe there was so much noise about not giving him a contract because it’ll push Warner out and, in Mills’ case, how he should still be in the twos because he offers nothing.

Hayward has also kept us in a few games this year and clearly revs the team up. He’s invaluable to us.

Both calls were embarrassing before hindsight and even more embarrassing now.

I’ll also admit to calling Parker a see ball, get ball hack-merchant, which to be fair was only describing his midfield clearances. I love the guy and I’m so glad he’s back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you're misunderstanding the Mills to reserves commentary, well, at least some of it. I still maintain he should have been brought back via the reserves rather than the AFL. He looked rusty against North, though it didn't hurt us obviously, before missing our best performance in months (including tonight) against the Lions. He had little impact against the Dogs and Port, though in the latter, no-one coming in would have made any real difference. He had a couple of moments last week, but otherwise was ineffective.

So on the back of that, and with 4 full games of evidence, I still would have sent him to the VFL for likely our final game there, to get some touch back, get plenty of it. The aim, for me at least, was to get him fitter and in better form before finals, and give someone else a chance to impact. But as we saw, things finally clicked and it was a big improvement on his impact over previous weeks (which still happened). Needs to stay in/around our defence though, for now.

There have been one or two questioning his place in the 22 for next year, which I'm at a loss to explain though. He's just been unfit and rusty, likely gets back to being one of our key players next year, maybe even kicks on for a decent finals series.

Sheldrick the most talked about swans player despite not playing a single game in the 2024 season......which won't change any time soon

Good win. Was great to watch in person. Few scarfs thrown on the ground by disgruntled bombers supporters. .

Rest no one. They'll have 2 weeks off during the pre finals bye. Roll into finals all guns blazing.

Congratulations Swans on ensuring the Bombers 20th season of no final appearance.

Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC

It's in the top 5 shittiest shots I have seen.

Rocca missing from the goal square set shot is number 1
Stringer’s miss just before 3/4 time was monumental. It happens. Adam’s has kicked some good goals this year.
Deserves his spot for experience & hardness.

Last edited:
A few observations having not read through the reactions yet

I dunno what is going on with Grundy but he was uncompetitive last night. Whether he’s carrying some injury or not, he got pushed around by a young bloke and by Sam Draper who I happen to think could be the most overrated player in the league. Rest him if you have to next week because he’s been underwhelming for a while and last night was probably as bad as he’s been lately. Adams was also real rickety.

Jordon back in form the last few weeks shutting down very good players and getting involved offensively. Looks more active than he did mid year

Loved Campbell and Cleary for the energy they brought to the HF line particularly in the first half when the rest of the side looked uninterested. Both played crucial roles in keeping us in it and worked their tails off. I suspect if we get Papley McInerney and Warner back they’ll both miss out but they are going a good way to mounting their cases to stay in.

Florent across HF and on a wing continues to be a winner. Given Roberts has emerged as our prime mover off HB, it just makes sense to shift our resources in this way and even more so with Mills in defence. On Mills, easily his best game since returning and he’s gotta stay there. His third quarter was great. 87% game time is a very pleasing sign.

Parker continuing to show he’s nowhere near finished. His set shots have been automatic for years - I can’t think of a more reliable set shot in the league personally over many years. He and Heeney dragged us to the lead and then explored away.

Shout out to Hayward who I think has been really impressive as something of the forward line leader since Papley went down. Clearly playing hurt but remaining influential. I’m also still up on Amartey - he isn’t dominating by any means but he just does good and useful things out there. Getting his body in to compete and to block for others and getting to aerial contests. Liked that he and McLean took more ruck time to rest Grundy.

I can't believe some of you guys! You're going to bitch and whinge about your team not being good enough all the way to a flag!!! You should stop listening to the commentators and start watching the game! We won that game by 6+ goals, secured the minor premiership and two home finals, and you're still not happy!

It was a brilliant effort tonight! We never let them get more than two goals out, and that only in the first. We defended and pressured well, and while they had a lot of early entries, they weren't good entries and they couldn't score from them. While we as usual, got less clearances and entries, but made the most of those we got. Stop listening to those telling you that's not how it should be done, because should've, could've would've don't mean crap! Winning is what counts!

Mills continues to build, and so does Parker! McDonald and McLean had excellent nights, and Amartey played his role without shining! Florent was back, and Heen's was Heen's, Melican looked good all night...

Brilliant game! Great coaching and great implementation! Carn the BLOODS!!!

If we played a top team in the same way we played in the first half we would have lost the game.
Rubbish! We never let them get more than two goals ahead, always gettable... Go and watch the Cats, Blues, Doggies (1st game) and Brisbane games again! That is just something the commentators have liked to say all year!

They go on and on about how this is not how previous teams won the flag, but this whole season has been unlike any previous seasons! We are doing fine! Have a little faith!!!

A few observations having not read through the reactions yet

I dunno what is going on with Grundy but he was uncompetitive last night. Whether he’s carrying some injury or not, he got pushed around by a young bloke and by Sam Draper who I happen to think could be the most overrated player in the league. Rest him if you have to next week because he’s been underwhelming for a while and last night was probably as bad as he’s been lately. Adams was also real rickety.

Jordon back in form the last few weeks shutting down very good players and getting involved offensively. Looks more active than he did mid year

Loved Campbell and Cleary for the energy they brought to the HF line particularly in the first half when the rest of the side looked uninterested. Both played crucial roles in keeping us in it and worked their tails off. I suspect if we get Papley McInerney and Warner back they’ll both miss out but they are going a good way to mounting their cases to stay in.

Florent across HF and on a wing continues to be a winner. Given Roberts has emerged as our prime mover off HB, it just makes sense to shift our resources in this way and even more so with Mills in defence. On Mills, easily his best game since returning and he’s gotta stay there. His third quarter was great. 87% game time is a very pleasing sign.

Parker continuing to show he’s nowhere near finished. His set shots have been automatic for years - I can’t think of a more reliable set shot in the league personally over many years. He and Heeney dragged us to the lead and then explored away.

Shout out to Hayward who I think has been really impressive as something of the forward line leader since Papley went down. Clearly playing hurt but remaining influential. I’m also still up on Amartey - he isn’t dominating by any means but he just does good and useful things out there. Getting his body in to compete and to block for others and getting to aerial contests. Liked that he and McLean took more ruck time to rest Grundy.
The way grundy was running last night looked like someone with a back injury. He was miles off it. The coaching staff are too slow to react to our first quarters - the bombers second goal came straight from the ruck and Merrett of all people bumped Grundy after the goal to let him know. When McLean went into the ruck we started to look ok notwithstanding his hand pass to rowbottom.

We were extremely lucky last night. That Essendon defence was the worst side I’ve ever seen at kicking to a team mate. Honestly the first half was like they had 6 guys and we had Tom mccartin whose sole purpose was to hit the other team. But we were so bad we couldn’t do anything with the turnover exemplified by amartey shot from 60 without a swans inside fifty after a mark.

I stick by my view - Parker is a midfielder who should rest forward. I’ll add to it - if he does it cannot be with McLean McDonald and amartey as it was in the first and second quarters. Play someone who is going to threaten a defence through hustle. But Parker does what he is known for - he will make the most of his chances.

Heeney was the star of the show. He was so much cleaner and was just super impressive.

Florent should play more in front of the ball. He was very important structurally and well done to coaches for that move.he also is a very straight kick under pressure - get the ball to your best users.

McDonald is a guy who is doing a lot right but lets himself down with the slight hook he has on his long range shots and he’s slow to make decisions under pressure - just tell him if in doubt handball into the air and create a stoppage. And don’t tap the ball. Take it and take the tackle or handball where you want your tsp to go.

Essendon are horrible though. Early in that match I’d reached the conclusion that they just turn the ball over but at least they got the ball to lose it and we couldn’t even get it. Once we got it we started to look like we would win. But our inability to start matches unless changed very soon is going to be just too much to deal with.

He's our best KPF atm. And daylight is second.
By all means run him through there at times, but he's got to take marks and kick goals for us to win IMO.
Not quick enough to play mid full time in the finals...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would think there’s pretty much zero chance we are going to change our 3 tall forward set up this late in the season, after running with it for so long.

At full strength Ch Warner, Papley and McInerney come in for Co Warner, Cleary and Campbell, with Roberts to drop back to sub for mine.

^ Campbell, Fox and Cleary handy depth though outside of our best 23 if needed.

you can't relegate roberts ... he's getting better all the time, terrific last night and is a genuine quality footballer in the making
i think campbell is also now staking his claim to stay
is mcinerney definitely going to be back?

Last edited:
Not quick enough to play mid full time in the finals...
But if he’s not quick enough as a mid he’s surely not fast enough to play as a small forward. you have to play him like a tall forward because he’s simply the opposite of a bobby hill or a cam Rayner or Stengel etc. he’s has to be surrounded with fast agile players not be the small crumbing player.

Anyway I really only came back to have a crack at umpiring. The first half was diabolical on holding the ball and out of bounds. I’ve been one of the resisters of last touch. I’m a convert - it’s just too random when things are paid and when they’re not and when forwards can just whack the ball into a pocket but defenders can’t just makes the game at whim of blithering idiots. This is compounded by illegal disposal versus holding the ball. It’s just too impossible to believe that umpires cannot tell when someone tackled and has the ball in one hand that if it comes out it’s dropped or thrown. How is it that hard ?

We are the best side in it. Not sure what other side hasn't had a shit patch .

Hawks flavour of the month now, probably lose to the Tigers the way this year is going
Amazing to see so many red and white supporters in the crowd last night. Melb games have been well supported this year by the fans. Nothing better being surrounded by bombers supporters and giving it to them all game then waving goodbye as they leave early in the last quarter. The cherry on top was knocking them out of finals again - the Essendon edge haha - we buried that at the scg earlier this year

Masterful as usual!!

Those journos don't want to celebrate the fact that we've won the minor with a game in hand, and given ourselves the best shot and the flag, they just want to nag on about our 'perceived' failings!! It's just rubbish!!! They need to stop listening to the commentators too!

John shuts them down and lauds his team... MASTERFUL!!!

Logan looks a footballer, but not always a forward target.

geez, he made himself a pretty good target several times last night ... maybe not in the goal square but he's starting to hold more marks in a contest and has a great kick on the run
all three of the tall forwards had an impact last night
in fact, i thought a lot of our lower-profile players (roberts, melican, campbell, cleary) contributed to one of our better all-round team efforts, particularly from about midway through the second term, when the intensity chasing the ball lifted
at that point we were still struggling a bit in possession but we were really starting to pressure them when they had it ...
i texted a mate at halftime that we were right in it and wouldn't need to improve much to take control of the game
then parker, heeney, florent, gulden et al took over

Think the key to beating us is to just kick it up high. Because we can't mark for shit. We're a team of mini buddy Franklin's. Once the ball hits the deck we're golden.

Give heeney and Grundy a rest this week and go second gear. Not worth risking an injury when we've all but got 1st place locked up.

We are the best side in it. Not sure what other side hasn't had a shit patch .

Hawks flavour of the month now, probably lose to the Tigers the way this year is going
Hope Richmond do beat the Hawks & north beat the dogs just to put them back in their boxes. I couldn’t stand another media campaign like the fairy pups in 2016 and I hate Sam Mitchell so I don’t want the Hawks doing any good either. Call it being an irrational female, but there you are.

Hope Richmond do beat the Hawks & north beat the dogs just to put them back in their boxes. I couldn’t stand another media campaign like the fairy pups in 2016 and I hate Sam Mitchell so I don’t want the Hawks doing any good either. Call it being an irrational female, but there you are.
The squiggle knows the bulldogs will get favourable umpiring decisions and media bias, so I'm praying they miss finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy After a tight😶 half of football we steamroll Essendon by 39

Remove this Banner Ad

Back