After Tippett's Message, May as well trade now...

Remove this Banner Ad

adelcrows

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2001
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool,Yankees,E Freo!
He has basically come out and said, don't worry, I want to play here next year but then after my contract finishes I want to be home on the Coast.

Did absolutely nothing to quash the rumour that he will be gone at end of next year, this makes me change my mind and now think we Should be trading him while he has good value.

Yes, let's not listen to what he said at all and extrapolate wild fantasies, great idea.

Not sure what you listened to?? He gave no indication he wants to be here long term, he just doesn't want us to lose out on a deal from what I could hear.. Maybe you should watch it again?

He is GONE! Trade now - do absolutely everything we can do get Sam Day back here & make him a crow for life (excl. the first 2 years of his AFL life).

FFS I give up on humanity.

First of all, at some stage of my life does not necessarily mean next year.

But the Adelaide Crows have been fantastic to me right from the day I was drafted back in 2006. They gave me a chance and have always done the right thing by me. It is certainly my intention that I will do likewise in return.

Kurt has no obligation to commit to us for the rest of his career. You guys are in for a rude shock when free agency hits. We'll have to get rid of EVERY SINGLE ****ING PLAYER ON THE LIST for not wanting to sign lifetime deals.

I have no idea what the Crows media/marketing department thought would be gained by issuing that statement. As said above it does NOTHING to address the key concern of supporters which is Kurt's intention (and the club's ability) to remain beyond 2012 (no one disputes he'll play out the contracted term to the best of his ability).

This just adds fuel to the fire and IMO is plain dumb.

And yes we should trade him now rather waiting a year to cash in our 'insurance policy' which for some reason appears to have been struck on a below market value basis.

Ive posted this before but back in 09 when we were trying to keep him out of the GC he was asked specifically- 'do you want to be a one club player?' his answer, body language etc was not encouraging.

Then the rumour of an 'out' clause. That just screams- I want to go home!

Finally what a nonsense video. Why make it? All he does is state the obvious. "yeah im contracted but im a goldy boy at heart and plan to go home at some stage."

Real comforting. :rolleyes:

I have no idea what the Crows media/marketing department thought would be gained by issuing that statement. As said above it does NOTHING to address the key concern of supporters which is Kurt's intention (and the club's ability) to remain beyond 2012 (no one disputes he'll play out the contracted term to the best of his ability).

yeah this is my main beef.. beyond stupid.

And yes we should trade him now rather waiting a year to cash in our 'insurance policy' which for some reason appears to have been struck on a below market value basis.

This really covers it all... Why make the damn clip?? Unsless you are completely dispelling a rumour and staying, all he did was thow on some lighter fluid.. Nobody doubted he would play here next year by his own accord, it was the end of next year..

Stupid Idea to have it done...

Public Relations at it's worst...

How was that video suppose to help the media beat up around his 'out clause'? If anything it has just made the relationship between Kurt Tippet and the AFC supporter base decidedly worse. Who gives a f*** if he believes in honoring contracts???... he doesn't have a choice... it's a f***ing contract!

Was this really something he wanted to get off his chest or something the club asked him to do?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FFS I give up on humanity.

First of all, at some stage of my life does not necessarily mean next year.

Kurt has no obligation to commit to us for the rest of his career. You guys are in for a rude shock when free agency hits. We'll have to get rid of EVERY SINGLE ****ING PLAYER ON THE LIST for not wanting to sign lifetime deals.

You are only giving up now? and for this? Christ, look at London, chief.

I agree, it's hard to see the benefit in the statement, Kurt has a contract and most of us expected Kurt to be here in 2012 however I now have doubts on whether he will be a one club player and the odds seem to support a return home at the end of this contract....

I actually had to restrain myself from comparing the intellectual prowess evident in this thread to London looters for fear of an infraction.

well restrained... I show similar restraint around the house to avoid spousal infractions

I love Kurt. He didn't have to say anything, but he recorded a statement for us supporters anyway.

I for one believe him. He's here until 2012, and he will reassess where he wants to be after that.

Seems certain that if he goes, he'll make sure the club gets fair compensation.

Can't ask anymore of the big fella.

don't understand the hype it is a message - it really doesn't say much either way.

This. There is not necessarily a 'hidden meaning' in every statement or comment ever said to the media. It's just a quick sound bite, get Tip in front of the camera, explain something about his contract, and drum up some supporters for the game against Geelong.

We sit on here and bag Rucci and other clubs' supporters for reading into every minor comment or word spoken or not spoken. We (as supporters) are just as bad.

So he will go to the Gold Coast at some stage.

If he has the clause saying its for a second rounder at the end of this contract, we need to trade him now prue and simple as he's worth much more than that. I don't thinks its likely such a clause exists, at least not one so explicit.

It may be that he will go to the Gold Coast in 2013 but it seems he has given an undertaking it won't be for nothing, which is fair enough.

This. There is not necessarily a 'hidden meaning' in every statement or comment ever said to the media. It's just a quick sound bite, get Tip in front of the camera, explain something about his contract, and drum up some supporters for the game against Geelong.

We sit on here and bag Rucci and other clubs' supporters for reading into every minor comment or word spoken or not spoken. We (as supporters) are just as bad.

Nonsense.

He said what the club has already emphatically said, and what we know as afl fans- contracts hold players to their clubs. If he doesnt want to play with us in '12 then he has to do a robran (stand out of footy for 12 months). Or do a trade where we have the advantage.

He then expresses a desire to go home- whether that is way off in the future or not that is unclear. However given that a rumour has come out that he is off next year- and he does nothing to dispell it-it is perfectly reasonable to suggest the worst. Thats how it looks.

Shit video. Players are better off staying silent.

He hinted that at one point he'd like to go back to the GC. While not the best thing to hear, he didn't say he's leaving at the end of his current contract. He might mean he just wants to return to the GC once his playing days are over. I mean, it isn't like he grew up supporting the Gold Coast Suns...

Would seem strange for him knock back an offer from the Gold Coast, if he was just going to go there in 2 years time anyway, and most likely, for a lot less money they would have originally been offering when they had the ability to front end the contract. Why stay when he could have walked for the $, only to leave for less $ when a deal needs to be striked.

Breathe guys, it isn't the end of the world. Let's wait and see what happens towards the end of next year when contract talks begin.

Remove this Banner Ad

After Tippett's Message, May as well trade now...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back