After Tippett's Message, May as well trade now...

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you say it's time for everyone to panic?

kentnq9.jpg
kentnq9.jpg

Yes Kent, I would.

It's fair and reasonable for us to be concerned, we have lost two players in two years. Two significant losses. So far we are the only club to have lost two players. We've got a player that may have a clause in his contract saying he can return home to the club of his choice. He didn't dispel that and he had the chance. He gave us a fluff piece.

We should be discussing our options and if the club isn't they are being negligent.

It would be good to have this resolved this end of season. Either signs a contract extension or see what his trade value is now. More likely to get good trade value this year than next.

IF Tippett wants out at the end of next season, because of poor performances by the club, surely we'd ask for a first round draft pick or better yet a quick outside midfielder like McKenzie?

Wouldnt mind seeing the cannon kick a few more from 65 at Aami/AO

And you know what? We could have lost him for absolutely nothing but he stayed to repay the faith we showed in him, unlike Davis and Bock. At least now if he goes we will most likely at least get something in return, be it players or draft picks, and we've gotten two more years out of Kurt than we would have if he went to the GC last year.

Some of the vitriol towards Kurt on here is completely misdirected.

Until we know the salary cap finer points for 2013 and beyond its diffulcult to offer tippet a contact. What they have done is shut up all the rumours going around right now in a tumultous time for player defections.

As he said he intends to do, he's done the right thing and said what the deal is.

He or we don't know what he is worth in season 2013 and beyond at this point, we dont have a coach or a culture or an idea on what we can pay him, fairly.

Think about things people.....please.

I thought it was a pretty pointless statement that Tippett came out with.

Firstly, i really dont blame the guy at all for wanting to go play at home. If thats what he wants, thats what he wants and who are we to judge him on that.

There was a pretty damning omission from his statement though. (i may have just missed it as i only read the release, didnt see the video). What would have been nice to hear was "i'm sure i'll go home AT THE END OF MY CAREER". but he didnt, and it couldnt have been by accident.

So like it or not he has indirectly said he is expecting to leave Adelaide at any time that a contract expires. This is too big a risk for the crows to carry IMO.

Unless he's planning to stay for his career, it's really best that he just goes now or at the end of this contract. At least the "window" wont be open for us. We need to start building around and basing our player management on guys we can count on to hang around.

As it stands, if all goes to plan, we'll sign him for another 2 years, then our whole forward structure is based around Kurt and Tex. We build a side that can challenge for a flag in 2015 and then he decides it's time to go back home? then we start all over again. All the while Smack has gone home for more opportunities, we've been madly drafting mids to fill that current gap and we'll have to use a 19yo project KPP (or Moran:eek:)to spearhead our charge to the flag.

Trade him now.

So like it or not he has indirectly said he is expecting to leave Adelaide at any time that a contract expires.

He really didn't. What he said was that he likes the Gold Coast, and wants to return there one day. What he said in regards to his playing future was limited entirely to this current contract period, in which he committed to staying with Adelaide. He made no comments either way to his decisions after that contract. He didn't say, directly or indirectly, that he is expecting to leave Adelaide as soon as his contract expires.

Calls to trade him because he didn't commit to us for life are ridiculous. What possible incentive does he have to do that?

No-one has incentive to say they want to play for a side for life, but he certainly didnt have to come out and say that he wants to go home one day. No one else does that, i'm sure they just dont say anything.

A better statement would have been to say that "recent media reports suggesting i'm seeking a trade before my contract expires are incorrect, i'll be fulfilling my obligations at adelaide and re-assess from there."

Saying he wants to return home though can only be taken to mean during his playing days, cause no-one gives a crap if he goes home after retiring.

I'm just concerned we'll invest so much in him, at the expense of other players, only to have him leave right when we need him most.

I think his intentions were good, and i really hope he hangs around though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe how insecure some people are and are reading way too much into Tippet's comments!

His comments are no different to the comments Mathew Pavlich made every time he was approaching the end of his contract! Just because Tippett is not stupid enough to cater to your troubling sense of insecurities by declaring that he wants to be a crow for life, he needs to traded immediately! How stupid can people be! Should we also trade Dangerfield now? How about Mackay, Talia, McKernan etc?!

People seriously need to grow up and take the statement for what it says not what they interpret it to say! Tippett could well leave at some stage of his career but he could just as easily stay and be a one club player!

Just like Pavlich, he is using his leverege in negotiations! He will be one of those players that you will always come to pay a bit more to keep because of his undeniable importance to the team and him being the interstater! I have no problem with that...thats how it should be! I am willing to bet that Tippett stays with us after his current contract expires! People were 100% certain that he was gone a couple of years ago and it turns out 99% of you were wrong, just like you are this time! Last time Tippett signed on with us for less than he was getting offered! I got no doubt that both QLD teams would be in his ear rigth now tryi g to convince him to come home but I am very confident he will stay! We will start negotiating new deal as soon as we know the new salary cap figure once the CBA gets sorted!

I think making a call about whether he's likely to go or stay is a bit premature at the moment.

We don't know who the next coach is going to be. Who knows, the new coach may be the difference between staying or going (either way).

I can't believe how insecure some people are and are reading way too much into Tippet's comments!

His comments are no different to the comments Mathew Pavlich made every time he was approaching the end of his contract! Just because Tippett is not stupid enough to cater to your troubling sense of insecurities by declaring that he wants to be a crow for life, he needs to traded immediately! How stupid can people be! Should we also trade Dangerfield now? How about Mackay, Talia, McKernan etc?!

People seriously need to grow up and take the statement for what it says not what they interpret it to say! Tippett could well leave at some stage of his career but he could just as easily stay and be a one club player!

Just like Pavlich, he is using his leverege in negotiations! He will be one of those players that you will always come to pay a bit more to keep because of his undeniable importance to the team and him being the interstater! I have no problem with that...thats how it should be! I am willing to bet that Tippett stays with us after his current contract expires! People were 100% certain that he was gone a couple of years ago and it turns out 99% of you were wrong, just like you are this time! Last time Tippett signed on with us for less than he was getting offered! I got no doubt that both QLD teams would be in his ear rigth now tryi g to convince him to come home but I am very confident he will stay! We will start negotiating new deal as soon as we know the new salary cap figure once the CBA gets sorted!

Does Pav have a clause in his contract stating he can be traded to the club of his choice?

Does Pav have a clause in his contract stating he can be traded to the club of his choice?

I think Tippett's contract clause just says that if he wants to be traded, and a minimum deal can be obtained, then we must trade him.

As opposed to every single other player in the comp, who can also demand a trade (you're not going to keep on a player who demands to leave) and there is no minimum trade level that needs to be obtained.

Its not just that.

When I saw this thread title, I rolled my eyes and thought here we go... another beat up. Then I watched the video....

Caros story, then the crows statement, and now tipps, all point to another battle to keep him.

At best its 09 all over again.

Remove this Banner Ad

After Tippett's Message, May as well trade now...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back