Ahmed Saad's ban for energy drink on match day

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if his admission that taking the drink was not a one off sparked the appeal.

Career over now... Very disappointing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Poor advice after poor advice.

After how far he has come this wasn't supposed to be how it ended.

Wouldn't be the first time I've been bewildered by the actions of a regulatory body.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-12-05/saad-ban-appealed

ASADA notified the AFL late on Wednesday that it would appeal the finding and the AFL Appeals Board will now sit at a date to be fixed.

With ASADA appealing the 18 month suspension, it will be beyond belief if they allow Essendon to escape with the fine, loss of draft picks and suspension of Hird for 12 months as their only punishment. No argument that Saad did the wrong thing, but in comparison to widespread and system wide cheating at Essendon there is no comparison.

You would hope that the revelations of past days of deals behind closed doors, was in relation to AFL sanctions only and that the ASADA sanctions are still to come.

I assume the AFL is too busy doing under the table deals with Walter Hird and HeisenWatson to help out a poor kid who made a mistake with some support. The clubs lack of political clout here doesn't help matters, either.

Shall I knock up the gallows or do ASSada just want to smother him in his sleep?

Can't speak for anyone else but I am convinced sense will prevail in the Essendon drug saga.
ASADA will have their way in the end with the biggest penalties in the history of Australian sport applied to the club / players.

I just can't see any way out of this for the Bomber players / officials and Saad's sentence challenge says they mean business. ASADA appear to work on a high moral ground stance regardless of the case as opposed to the AFL's "what will the public and clubs be satisfied with" model.
As much as I am disappointed for the kid, I wait with baited breath for the wrath of ASADA to rain down on Bomberland.

What happened to these guys - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/9190833.stm reflects the scenario I was describing. You're in another place on a road trip, club is looking after you. You take whatever drink they hand you - here it seems like the whole South African squad were likely fed a drink similar to Saad's, without knowing it contained a banned substance, and likely everyone had it in their system but the 2 unlucky lads to get tested that day, got the ban.

ASADA are a disgrace.

As I said before; national anti-doping associations are there to apply the WADA directives, and WADA themselves have a strict liability position on being responsible for what is in your body, however they acknowledge the need to have conditional reductions in ban from the normal 2yrs for certain circumstances.

It's a disgrace what they did to the VFL player, but now they inevitably have to show consistency on pushing for Saad to get 2yrs. Conveniently forgetting they only gave 1yr to Shane Warne, for example.

Or this recent case from their own archive:
"The Australian Football League Anti-Doping Tribunal’s decision to impose a 15-month ban on Alex Overs for the presence and use of a prohibited substance was today acknowledged by the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA).
Mr Overs tested positive for Oxycodone and its metabolite Oxymorphone in a sample collected incompetition on 16 September 2012 at the NEAFL grand final game between Queanbeyan Tigers and the Sydney Swans.
Mr Over’s 15-month ban, which was backdated to the date of his voluntary provisional suspension, means he is ineligible to participate, as an athlete or support person, in any sports that have adopted a World Anti-Doping Agency compliant anti-doping policy until 20 March 2014.
Oxycodone is categorised as a narcotic under S7 of the 2012 World Anti-Doping Code Prohibited List and is prohibited in-competition.
Oxycodone is a narcotic analgesic generally used for pain relief. It can pose a range of threats to an athlete’s health including drug dependence and therefore has the potential of being abused. Adverse reactions to oxycodone can include fatigue, nausea, vomiting and hypotension, and in high doses may include respiratory depression, circulatory failure and coma.
Any athletes unaware of their responsibilities are encouraged to seek additional information online at ASADA’s website www.asada.gov.au"

I also wonder if this recent step with Saad is to show a public strong stance, because there are suggestions I've seen that they might have to go easy on Essendon due to an error of their own. It has been suggested more than once that at some point, ASADA suggested a substance the Bombers were using, was legal.

Also from ASADA's archives, seems they banned a surf lifesaving competition entrant for 2 full years for Methylhexaneamine, which has become the most common contaminant or rogue substance in energy drinks and supplements. How strict is that?! Lifeguard uses a workout/energy drink before a lifesaver event; not exactly trying 'roiding up to win the Olympic 100m!

Has there ever been a case where ASADA haven't appealed a ban less than 24 months? If they don't support any other tribunal system, why don't they just make their own?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt in my opinion now that Matt Clarke is 100% a cheating flog who is just shitty that he didn't get away with it. Pathetic and terrible human being.

Saad deserves four years for getting on the radio and telling the world he had taken it several times before a game, how stupid can one be? For that reason alone ASADA should appeal, it sends the wrong message that you can continually cheat and only miss one full season of footy.

You honestly don't think that every point of that information would have been stated to the original tribunal and subsequently in every report ASADA read about it?

Why are you consistently the worst poster in this forum?

Appreciate his refreshing honesty, but maybe going on the radio was a bad move! Great little player and a top person - used to watch him at the Northern Bullants and wish Carlton had picked him up. A real loss for St Kilda as I think over the next few years he could have established himself as one of the best small forwards going round. All seems extremely harsh and I feel very sorry for him as this could be the end of his AFL career - hopefully other players and clubs categorically ensure they're 100% on top of their "supplements programs" from now on - can't afford to make the smallest of slip-ups as the precedent is set! Will be interesting to see what eventually happens to Jab Watson and his cohorts at Essendope...

Classic case of slapping a naughty boy's hand with a sledgehammer. Punish him, fine, but this is totally disproportionate to the crime.

Classic case of slapping a naughty boy's hand with a sledgehammer. Punish him, fine, but this is totally disproportionate to the crime.

It is but I fully support the rules that WADA have in place.

How shitty would we be if it was discovered that Paul Chapman had drunk something that contained a stimulant that is banned on match days... on the morning of the 2009 Grand Final?

I agree with Brian that Saad has been ridiculously stupid for continually taking something that wasn't cleared by the club AND then going on radio before the appeal window closed.

Farcical.

I wonder if the club knew he was going on SEN?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saad deserves four years for getting on the radio and telling the world he had taken it several times before a game, how stupid can one be? For that reason alone ASADA should appeal, it sends the wrong message that you can continually cheat and only miss one full season of footy.
No club will pick him up again, the stupidity shown once could potentially be forgiven, but to openly admit you are a cheat?! I'd be staggered if any AFL team even considered picking him up.

No club will pick him up again, the stupidity shown once could potentially be forgiven, but to openly admit you are a cheat?! I'd be staggered if any AFL team even considered picking him up.

Sad to be penalized more for being honest. This would never happen elsewhere!!! H-Hmmm...
0511-0906-2122-3672_Black_and_White_Cartoon_of_a_Guy_Flying_a_Bomber_Plane_clipart_image.jpg

Yes condemn Saad for telling the truth. This is a new low in condemning him for that. Surely you don't think Saad wouldn't have also told the complete truth when giving evidence?

ASADA would have reviewed the text of interview and case files and made a judgement as to whether to appeal, or not, based on that.

There is no doubt that Saad was naive in doing what he did and the vast majority of football supporters would agree that he has broken the laws governing this, but the 18 month punishment is not proportionate to the crime. Calling for four years, even in flippantly is callous and unnecessary.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...eal-18month-term/story-fni5f22o-1226775716857

ASADA's appeal has been criticised by former boss Richard Ings, who took to Twitter to argue a two-year penalty would be overkill.

The Herald Sun understands Saad, who had only been in the AFL system for two years, has so far spent close to $20,000 trying to clear his name.

A two-year ban would almost certainly end Saad's career, given any club who drafted him at the end of 2014 would have to wait until August, 2015, to play him.

His manager Paul Koutoufides said the 24-year-old was in shock. "He thought it was a joke, to be honest. I thought it was a joke, it's got to be a joke. I can't believe it. They want to kick him while he's down. They want to bury him. He's not a drug cheat, let's put it in perspective,"

Ings used social media to criticise the appeal, saying ASADA should concentrate on bigger issues. "An 18 mnth ban is a significant and approp ban already," Ings tweeted. "18 month sanctions versus 2 yr maximum is splitting hairs over degrees of fault. This is a case that I would put in the win column and move on to more important matters."

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahmed Saad's ban for energy drink on match day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back