error404

Team Captain
Oct 11, 2003
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers
http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,8682626%5E2764,00.html

Aker doubts wobbly Pies
JON RALPH
15feb04
BRISBANE'S human headline Jason Akermanis has questioned whether Collingwood has the mental strength to rebound from consecutive grand final losses.

Akermanis said Brisbane was ideally placed both physically and psychologically for a tilt at four straight premierships, and claimed no one could beat a full-strength Lions.

Collingwood had the personnel but would have to "conquer the demons".

"The question is, if it wasn't us (who beat them) it was someone else," he said.

"For them to come back, they have got mentally quite a challenging year. It is like Port Adelaide, you know. It is not that they are not capable, it is whether they believe they are capable, and that is up to them.

"I know the hardest thing for a group of players is to go back the next year and win the grand final and it takes a real strong resolve to do that.

"But after two losses, to get there again and conquer the demons . . . to get to grand finals is tough enough, and whether they are capable of that, whether that can happen, that is the question."

Akermanis said the Lions were not cocky or complacent, but knew what was required to win repeated premierships.

"A lot of the pressure is off now. We have achieved more than we thought we could, but if everything is right and everyone else has got their best team and we have got our best team, we believe we can take it up and beat any team, and I mean that in a good way, not in an overconfidence way.

"We have got the ability to do that. With the (questions over our) hunger and all that, it is kind of crap. You don't have to worry about that because with our guys the competitiveness in the group drives all that."

Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy last week said the Brisbane dynasty was looking shaky and cast doubts on its ability to win another flag.

"They said that after we won the first one and the second one and then the third one, so what changes?" Akermanis countered.

The only question mark over the capacity to win that magical fourth trophy is injuries, with Chris Scott (groin) the worst hit on a list that includes Brownlow medallists Simon Black and Michael Voss.

Originally posted by error404
Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy last week said the Brisbane dynasty was looking shaky and cast doubts on its ability to win another flag.

"They said that after we won the first one and the second one and then the third one, so what changes?" Akermanis countered.

He annoys the **** out of me, but have to agree with that comment.

I think Sheeds needs to put a sock in it when it comes to the Lions, because it always comes back to haunt him.

As for the Pies, I don't think they'll make it to the Granny again this year - I think they need another year of experimenting to make sure they have that flag formula. They'll still be strong though.

geez, a whole story relating to the bleeding obvious.

Not often i disagree with acker.. the league needs more characters, whether u love or loathe them, the game is in desperate need for more.

Originally posted by error404
http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,8682626%5E2764,00.html

Aker doubts wobbly Pies
JON RALPH
15feb04
BRISBANE'S human headline Jason Akermanis has questioned whether Collingwood has the mental strength to rebound from consecutive grand final losses.

Akermanis said Brisbane was ideally placed both physically and psychologically for a tilt at four straight premierships, and claimed no one could beat a full-strength Lions.

Collingwood had the personnel but would have to "conquer the demons".

"The question is, if it wasn't us (who beat them) it was someone else," he said.

"For them to come back, they have got mentally quite a challenging year. It is like Port Adelaide, you know. It is not that they are not capable, it is whether they believe they are capable, and that is up to them.

"I know the hardest thing for a group of players is to go back the next year and win the grand final and it takes a real strong resolve to do that.

"But after two losses, to get there again and conquer the demons . . . to get to grand finals is tough enough, and whether they are capable of that, whether that can happen, that is the question."

Yer saw this on the back page of the sunday times this morning:rolleyes: ......we will all just have to wait and see won't we:rolleyes:

You can never under estimate Brisbane, Aka is a mouth, but can usually back it up. Only on September 25th will we all know if he is right or wrong!

Originally posted by Scarborough
The Sunday Times in Perth has back page head lines
CHOKERS
Akermanis turns up the heat on Pies and Power

He certanly know how to sh*t stire
Damn the press must love him.

I didnt see anywhere in the article where he called them chokers, he basically said it was up to themselves, and their mental resolve.

I dont think he said anything that wasnt true, and there certainly isn't any contraversy in the article. Just the media beat-up.

Why are people having a crack at Aker.:confused: Has he said anything in that article that is not true.

I would much rather have his head on TV that listening to the ****loads of cliches that comes out of footballer's mouth these days.

1 breath he's talking bout Collingwood/Port and their finals records, another breath he's talking bout talking to dead people (by the way he included his future sons in that).

How can people take this guy seriously, he is a clown without a doubt.

Firstly Akermanis must give 4-5 interviews a week. As a Brownlow medallist, 3 x Premiership player he is hardly an attention seeker, he has crediblilty.
Secondly he speaks his mind on many issues and really isn't wrong that often. He is a bit 'out there' but IMO is refreshing.
Thirdly nothing he says in this article is wrong or undeservedly offensive. He can't be blamed for misleading headlines etc
As a Port supporter I have no issue with what he said.

If winners walk the walk, then winners can talk the talk.

Aker is a good player in a three-time premiership side. I'll feel more equipped to have a go at him once we beat them a couple of times this year.

As for choking. 2002 would have been a fairytale if we had pulled it off, we finished 4th and came within 9 points of a flag against the reigning premiers. Hardly a choke.

2003, many people thought we didn't have the list to get back to the GF, though by GF day we were favourites. The GF last year was the only finals game of ours in the last 2 years I have been dissapointed with the teams effort, including the GF in 2002.

I can think of at least three Port games where the effort was dissapointing, and they have finished top the past two years, I don't yet like to be compared to Port because we are so often rated as a mediocre side, then a GF loss is all of a sudden considered a choke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing said there that I didn't already know. But, as usual, its not what Akermainis says, its the arrogant know it all way he says it.
I almost hope it is a Collingwood vs Port Grand Final, if for no other reason than to make handstand man look like the up himself tool he is.

Originally posted by L-Nizzy
He's an attention seeking little ****.

Loves to see his name in the paper - his head on TV. Didn't say anything ground-breaking in the article - just felt he had to say something so he could get a little bit more exposure.

Classic - a Collingwood supporter complaining about someone getting too much exposure - I've heard it all!

Originally posted by Lockyer24
Just more lack of respect from the little dweeb.

He wishes we would lay down and die as he knows on our day we will beat them.

When 'your' day coincides with Grand Final day, THEN he might get a little worried. As recent football history stands, there isn't too much for him to worry about on that front.

Originally posted by Lions2k2
He is great value and for those who bag him i think are probably just jealous :p

Jealous, ROFLMAO, Collingwood would have to be the most talked about football club in Australia and he is only contributing to them a little more.

Thanks Jason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aker doubts wobbly Pies/ Port chokers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back