Multiplat Alan Wake II

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m loving it, it is a masterpiece imo and arguably the best looking game I’ve played in recent memory (The cauldron lake area looks absolutely incredible).

The effort gone into this has been insane, Remedy have done a terrific job.

Wandering around Cauldron lake and looking up and seeing Mirror's Peak and the Lodge made the location feel so real. I have looked at minimal reviews or anything because I just want to get completely immersed and lose myself exploring but I reeeaalllyy hope we get to revisit the Lodge. If we do it could be so twisted but it would be nice to just visit considering how faithfully they recreated Bright Falls town. Also it would be cool to see how it looks or even if it's still operating since we now know what happens to Hartman due to Control AWE as we never went back after escaping the darkness in AW1.

I'm interested but didn't really understand the story in Control, and I fear the same will happen to me here with AW 2. I struggle at the best of times to follow storylines in video games and movies. Might be a wait until cheap or on PS Plus for me. But great to hear we've recieved another masterpiece this year. What a year of gaming.

I'm interested but didn't really understand the story in Control, and I fear the same will happen to me here with AW 2. I struggle at the best of times to follow storylines in video games and movies. Might be a wait until cheap or on PS Plus for me. But great to hear we've recieved another masterpiece this year. What a year of gaming.

Yeah the story can be extremely convoluted and at times pretty wild but that's also partly by design. Especially for this game Sam has said they wanted minimal hand holding and they've not been one to throw the entire story in your face, rather let you piece it together more organically through story beats, the environment and stuff you find in the world. This means that sometimes certain things are open for interpretation but that's why there are some great Remedy universe communities who constantly talk about it and make videos about it.

can't wait to grab and play this... the reviews are amazing and Remedy are so good. I tried the AW remaster but couldn't get into it, but loved Control sooooo much and I'm so hyped for this

Did you play AW way back in the day at least? Otherwise should look up a story recap video! You'll be able to fill in the gaps pretty quickly then coming from Control.

Did you play AW way back in the day at least? Otherwise should look up a story recap video! You'll be able to fill in the gaps pretty quickly then coming from Control.
never played it back in the day, but I got a bit of a way through AWr and I have a fair idea of the story. Certainly enough that I feel very good about diving in. Just need to finish off BG3 first (pretty close I think), and I dare say I'll just park AC6 for another little while as well.

What a time to be alive for video games! It's just nuts

never played it back in the day, but I got a bit of a way through AWr and I have a fair idea of the story. Certainly enough that I feel very good about diving in. Just need to finish off BG3 first (pretty close I think), and I dare say I'll just park AC6 for another little while as well.

What a time to be alive for video games! It's just nuts

Some huge revelations at the end of AW that if I were to put in the fewest sentences as possible

(AW1 and DLC ending)
The lake was a threshold. The writer named Thomas Zane got stuck there for reasons in the 70s like Alan did. He tried writing his escape, maybe using Alan, but Alan got stuck too and gets to know Zane. Then Alan wrote the ending to save his wife Alice but in turn got stuck in the dark place and an evil doppelganger named Mr Scratch replaced him in the real world. According to Control AWE expansion Alan also had a hand in the events at the Oldest House in order to write his escape.

Also want to jog your memory on Nightingale , the FBI agent that was chasing Alan. No details, just remember him.

Lots of detail missing but you know the start and I want to make sure you get the most out of it.

Last edited:
Spoiler free but a good review of the tech. Just some general chat about the game too which you don't always get from DF as it's not normally their type of content. I love the point at the start that this game is built on three pillars - the technical and visual, the game play and the story. The second half is more PC related stuff like trying to run the game on older GPUs without mesh shaders.

I'm actually finding Saga's chapters more terrifying lol. With Alan you know it's going to be insane and it doesn't matter how crazy or twisted it gets you expect it and I find it actualy hypes me up. Saga though, stuff me I just played a massive chapter with her and I feel absolutely drained lol. Not in a bad way, but it was just so unnerving and at times I was pretty on edge. Maybe it's because I don't usually do survival horror. This feels different though. It isn't stupid monsters or zombies or something chasing you. While there are some pretty grotesque enemies that are out of a Lovecraft short story or something it's more psychological than anything. The story and the way it is told has really taken me out of my comfort zone and very few games have ever achieved that.

update: I spent so long with Saga because I kept wanting to know what happens next with her and only just thought about switching back to Alan and did Initiation 4. I'm not going to say what it is, but holy shit that was amazing. That was exactly the type of level I was waiting for. Oh man, can this game get any better?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Windows is a little screwy when taking HDR screenshots but these are better than it does for some other games.

Most accurate depiction of an electric motor I think I've ever seen in any video game.

Alan Wake 2 1_11_2023 9_58_51 PM.png

I've also seen some Debbie downers try and hang poo on things like the water textures in this game but it looks fine to me (also was an excuse to take a photo of the sunset). Though maybe that depends more on the hardware.

Alan Wake 2 1_11_2023 11_31_36 PM.png

I'm actually finding Saga's chapters more terrifying lol. With Alan you know it's going to be insane and it doesn't matter how crazy or twisted it gets you expect it and I find it actualy hypes me up. Saga though, stuff me I just played a massive chapter with her and I feel absolutely drained lol. Not in a bad way, but it was just so unnerving and at times I was pretty on edge. Maybe it's because I don't usually do survival horror. This feels different though. It isn't stupid monsters or zombies or something chasing you. While there are some pretty grotesque enemies that are out of a Lovecraft short story or something it's more psychological than anything. The story and the way it is told has really taken me out of my comfort zone and very few games have ever achieved that.

update: I spent so long with Saga because I kept wanting to know what happens next with her and only just thought about switching back to Alan and did Initiation 4. I'm not going to say what it is, but holy s**t that was amazing. That was exactly the type of level I was waiting for. Oh man, can this game get any better?

A simple yes or no, was it the watery level with Saga, Return 3 I think?

Last edited:
Had a little time last weekend (got up to Bright Falls), and looking forward to getting back in it. Only issue is I also plan on some Robocop: Rogue City action as well.

Got a question about a weapon you find in Watery

I found the crossbow in the locked chest and there's a bunch of bolts nearby which have a button prompt next to them but nothing happens when I press it. Are you able to pick these up now or is my game bugged? I've reloaded a previous save and it's still happening :think:

EDIT: I'm a damn idiot. My inventory was full :embarrassedv1:

What system is everyone playing this on? Apparently the ps5 version runs the worst and Xbox keeps an almost locked 60fps from what I’ve been reading.
Hopefully they can make the ps5 version more stable.

PS5 is locked to 60fps almost the entire time in performance mode according to Digital Foundry. For fidelity they do some comparisons to comparible PC hardware here.

PS5 is locked to 60fps almost the entire time in performance mode according to Digital Foundry. For fidelity they do some comparisons to comparible PC hardware here.

Interesting. This article says it’s really struggles in some areas on ps5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat Alan Wake II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back