Multiplat Alan Wake II

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahh if the story isn't making sense to most it definitely won't make any sense to me.

I couldn't understand the story of BioShock 1 and Infinite. I struggle.

Most likely will skip this or wait a couple years until it's on PS Plus.

It didn't occur to me at the time but just reading some stuff and remembering the dedication to Lance Reddick in the credits (initially I assumed it was due to him working with Remedy on Quantum Break), but it looks like Warlin Door's role was originally intended for Lance. At the time I thought David Harewood was really channelling Reddick with his performance.

I finished playing through the Control base game again and picked up some more cues to AW2. There are the obvious AW ones like the collectables about Bright Falls, the AW exhibit in the Panopticon and a Darling video that mentions "a writer", but I was looking to see if there was anything relevant to AW2 before the AWE DLC and I did notice two things in particular.

When Dylan (or the hiss that is possessing him) is going on about his dreams, he said once that he saw a man named Warlin Door in a dark place. This might mean the Warlin Door story won't finish up in AW2 DLC but it is a plan for Control 2.

In the tapes with the FBC interviewing Jesse, she mentions that her favourite poet is Thomas Zane but the interviewer said they could only find a filmmaker by that name. Unless I'm mistaken, Thomas Zane wasn't introduced as a filmmaker until the AWE expansion meaning this was foreshadowed a long time ago.

Wanted to listen to Herald of Darkness a few more times because it's a true banger and not just because it's from a game. Something really obvious dawned on me from a lyric in the chorus.

"show me the champion of light" - obviously this is Alan
"I'll show you the herald of darkness" - often in the promotional video for the song this will show Warlin Door. Derp. Warlin Door isn't just a character of the dark, he IS the darkness. Well the Alan equivalent to it anyway.

Also interestinly something I didn't pick up the first time is a detail about the character that Tim Breaker (the Sheriff from the start that got stuck in the dark place) is investigating on his white board. Obviously it's Warlin Door but Wake and Breaker don't agree on the name. Breaker says it's Martin Hatch. Hatch, Door, same thing.

This is why I can't wait for the NG+ update because apparently it will play out with differences to emphasise the spiral.

I ****ing love this game/universe.

Lastly I need to sell this game because so many are sleeping on it. This was released as promotional video, not a spoiler. It's just a music video. It has no game play but trust me when I say it's something you'd rather experience first hand for yourself in the game. But if this enough to get maybe get some people interest in the game then so be it.

Just finished it up. Definitely the most WTF kind of game I have played since Control. But I did enjoy it. Saga's parts in particular. She's a really good character. Quite a few bugs and falling through the map toward the end though. Had to reload a few times to fix the issue. Also found the difficulty a bit weird and random - the earlier boss fights like the 2 cops and Cynthia caused me much more grief than either of the Scratch fights.
So will we get a proper ending in the DLC or will they go for the trilogy? Seems like there's a lot of unfinished business especially with that Door guy who warns Alan toward the end about meeting him again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished it up. Definitely the most WTF kind of game I have played since Control. But I did enjoy it. Saga's parts in particular. She's a really good character. Quite a few bugs and falling through the map toward the end though. Had to reload a few times to fix the issue. Also found the difficulty a bit weird and random - the earlier boss fights like the 2 cops and Cynthia caused me much more grief than either of the Scratch fights.
So will we get a proper ending in the DLC or will they go for the trilogy? Seems like there's a lot of unfinished business especially with that Door guy who warns Alan toward the end about meeting him again.

See above posts

Door is the herald of darkness, the big bad. In Control the hiss controlling Dylan said they saw Door in his dreams, and as Dylan is still in a coma presumably he's also in the dark place so there is a chance that Door's story might not wrap up until Control 2. The rest of Alan Wake is likely more about escaping the spiral.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just started watching one on YouTube and then stopped as I don't want to spoil it myself, but people have been digging videos out of the game files that are presumably going to be in some DLC or NG+. The one I watched a few minutes of featured Casper Darling making Control almost an absolute pre-requisite at this point.

Herald of Darkness performance at the Game Awards. Sam Lake as goofy as ever. Cool to see how Ilkka Villi and Matthew Porretta perform together as Alan Wake.

I saw about half a dozen reactions to this and all but 1 were very negative which is a bit disappointing. Of course it was by people who either didn't play or get far enough into the game to realise what it was. I thought it was great. Even if it was filler you might as well have filler with a great song

I saw about half a dozen reactions to this and all but 1 were very negative which is a bit disappointing. Of course it was by people who either didn't play or get far enough into the game to realise what it was. I thought it was great. Even if it was filler you might as well have filler with a great song

Musical and quirky levels have become a hallmark of their games and they must have a good relationship with Poets of the Fall to have been working with them since AW1. I think it's really cool. When I played this level it was right after the retirement home one with Saga and my stress levels were high. I was getting into her story and played a few in a row just because I wanted to know what happened next. I knew I had to get back to Alan just for story continuity and told myself just one Alan level before bed. It was that level and it was so perfect to reset the mood and I think this game would have been too exhausting without it.

It's also something different. Remedy are at the very top of story driven action games and IMO they're still quite underappreciated probably due to being exclusive to Microsoft platforms for a while, Control coming out at the end of a console generation and AW2 being digital only (and Epic exclusive on PC).

They are also very talented technically as their Northlight engine is always cutting edge.

Can’t ignore the hype anymore, started Alan Wake remastered.

Playing on easy with the lights on…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don't rush, enjoy the ride. The more you take in the more sense it will make later. Apart from a few cheesy jumpscares you've got nothing to fear in AW1. Besides trying to be creepy it really isn't.

Have you played Control yet? I believe it's still included in PS Plus. You can play it super quick too if you just want the story. I replayed it very recently and finished the base game and all side content in about 14 hours, then 6 hours on both DLC. Halve those if you just want to play it for the story and and more if you skip Foundation DLC and only play AWE if you're only playing to prepare for AW2.

Don't rush, enjoy the ride. The more you take in the more sense it will make later. Apart from a few cheesy jumpscares you've got nothing to fear in AW1. Besides trying to be creepy it really isn't.

Have you played Control yet? I believe it's still included in PS Plus. You can play it super quick too if you just want the story. I replayed it very recently and finished the base game and all side content in about 14 hours, then 6 hours on both DLC. Halve those if you just want to play it for the story and and more if you skip Foundation DLC and only play AWE if you're only playing to prepare for AW2.

Yeah I loved Control, which is partly why I’m pushing myself through this.

Just finished episode 1 and it’s more atmospheric than scary for now.

Yeah I loved Control, which is partly why I’m pushing myself through this.

Just finished episode 1 and it’s more atmospheric than scary for now.

Excellent. Do you still have that Control save? Because the AWE DLC was created to setup AW2, and there is a little detail in a scene at the end of it that slots nicely into a small detail early in AW2. Also, not to ruin anything in AW1, but if you do play Control AWE straight after AW1 you'll find a familiar face.

Excellent. Do you still have that Control save? Because the AWE DLC was created to setup AW2, and there is a little detail in a scene at the end of it that slots nicely into a small detail early in AW2. Also, not to ruin anything in AW1, but if you do play Control AWE straight after AW1 you'll find a familiar face.

I had to stop last night, really liked what I played story wise but I was exhausted from behind on edge for 2 hours haha. Still deciding I’ll go back.

do you get out of the woods eventually?

I had to stop last night, really liked what I played story wise but I was exhausted from behind on edge for 2 hours haha. Still deciding I’ll go back.

do you get out of the woods eventually?

Which game? Lol

Still on Wake remastered? Because you leave the woods pretty early but keep going back. Or if you're talking about Wake 2 now then you'll be in the woods quite a bit for one character but you will go back to town and other places.

NG+ update with alternative stuff is out. I reinstalled last night so I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Assuming it gives the opportunity to change difficulty I think I'll play it on story next time because there were a couple areas I couldn't explore before as I didn't have enough resources.

Looks like we'll finally get an update to Darling's whereabouts which has been a question since Control.

And just for the fresh faces to the series - the actor/voice for Darling is the VA for Alan Wake.

Which game? Lol

Still on Wake remastered? Because you leave the woods pretty early but keep going back. Or if you're talking about Wake 2 now then you'll be in the woods quite a bit for one character but you will go back to town and other places.

Alan Wake remastered, got towards the end of act 2 but I think that’s enough.

I figured out what I’m doing in Divinity Original Sin 2 so back to that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat Alan Wake II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back