Multiplat Alan Wake II

Remove this Banner Ad

Robert Redford Nod GIF

Only a handful of chapters in but this game is astonishingly good. What a great example of completely modernising gameplay while staying true to the original.

Keen to hear your thoughts as your progress along. Especially after a certain chapter.

FYI on progress:
I've stuck with Saga for now, I will never actively choose to switch between characters if given the option so was happy to get through her story. I've cleaned up all her collectibles and have just hit the point of no return so will swap over when it forces me to.

I am absolutely loving it. It's such a thoughtfully produced game. Their world building and atmosphere is next level. I loved the first game and they've taken this above and beyond - plus added a nice (if a little clunky) detective mechanic which I'm a sucker for. Don't want it to end.

FYI on progress:
I've stuck with Saga for now, I will never actively choose to switch between characters if given the option so was happy to get through her story. I've cleaned up all her collectibles and have just hit the point of no return so will swap over when it forces me to.

I am absolutely loving it. It's such a thoughtfully produced game. Their world building and atmosphere is next level. I loved the first game and they've taken this above and beyond - plus added a nice (if a little clunky) detective mechanic which I'm a sucker for. Don't want it to end.

Of course they allow you that flexibility to play it how you want, but the end of chapter discussions between realities may seem disjointed if you don't alternate characters.

The most minor spoiler here for example, you think back to the nursing home chapter and you were looking for the record in Cynthia's room, Alan is setting it up in parallel. You also get to see the other side of the same conversation at the end.

I also take it then you haven't done that chapter with Alan?

Of course they allow you that flexibility to play it how you want, but the end of chapter discussions between realities may seem disjointed if you don't alternate characters.

The most minor spoiler here for example, you think back to the nursing home chapter and you were looking for the record in Cynthia's room, Alan is setting it up in parallel. You also get to see the other side of the same conversation at the end.

I also take it then you haven't done that chapter with Alan?
I suspect I may be doing that Alan chapter right now. ;)

As a big Poets fan I am loving every second of this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgot to follow up - finished last week. Loved every second. A truly spectacular game that deserves more attention and praise.

While the writing remained strong throughout and I enjoyed the ending, my only real criticism is that I felt it stumbled towards the end. The chapters following both points of no return were kind of mediocre. The enjoyment and level design fell away a little, and for no apparent reason they
took your map and weapons away and seemed to make the objective descriptions way more vague.
Otherwise, amazing game. If you're reading this and haven't played, pls do it. I don't care if you like horror games or not, this deserves a play.

Which chapter was this? I think I’ve done all of Alan’s except 1 chapter.
The musical

I’ve finally finished it. Trying to find time to play it when you have 3 young kids is almost impossible.

Anyway - what a game. It’s so vastly different from the original - it is a true next Gen title.
It’s up there with the best games I’ve played over the past few years. The atmosphere is among the best ever in a game.
The graphics are as good as I’ve seen in a console game.
The gameplay, acting… it’s just so good.

The no in game map frustrated me at the start, but I soon got used to it and it added to the feel of the game.

There’s a couple of really small cons. The story is hard to follow. Also I was playing on PS5 and the performance suffers for whatever reason. While it didn’t impact on my experience of the overall game, the frame rate does drop a lot. But I knew going in that PS5 had performance issues.
In the end it didn’t really bother me because the game is just so amazing.

9.8/10

Anyone played Night Springs yet?

Pretty good, was hoping for more, but for what was a pretty cheap DLC, can't complain.

First of 3 was fun and had a hilarious tone to it.

Second was meh.

Third was bonkers and great. Need to check YouTube again for the Control and Quantum Break cutscenes.

Was interesting as well seeing the potential origins of Door.

Anyone played Night Springs yet?

Pretty good, was hoping for more, but for what was a pretty cheap DLC, can't complain.

First of 3 was fun and had a hilarious tone to it.

Second was meh.

Third was bonkers and great. Need to check YouTube again for the Control and Quantum Break cutscenes.

Was interesting as well seeing the potential origins of Door.
Yep. Pretty basic overall, but decent fun. I think the progression of Ep 2 -> 3 was necessary, but Ep 2 was definitely the weakest. I think mainly due to the lack of gameplay in that one, albeit, it was the most tense.

Ep 1 was definitely fun and stupid, even if it had no real addition to basically anything.

Ep 3 was great, in terms of delving into the backstory, somewhat? But then, are any of these actually canonical or is it just "twilight zone" fake?

The one thing this did for me, was say that to offset the issues they've had with development timelines/profit, they could easily do this sort of twilight zone thing as an occasional off-shoots and charge a bit for them. Although I don't know how much you can get away with just re-using assets ad nauseam.

Very much hope The Lake House is a big expansion with new content.

Just installed the PS5 Deluxe. Never played the original however I've been waiting to play it since reordering 4 months ago.

An error of judgement and I purchased Mario Party Jamboree at the same time for my son and now have to wait the little punk to finish up before I can have my turn.

Just installed the PS5 Deluxe. Never played the original however I've been waiting to play it since reordering 4 months ago.

An error of judgement and I purchased Mario Party Jamboree at the same time for my son and now have to wait the little punk to finish up before I can have my turn.

Are you planning on playing the original before this? Not necessary but might enhance your enjoyment. Gameplay is a smidge dated though. At worst should skim through a YouTube playthrough.

Are you planning on playing the original before this? Not necessary but might enhance your enjoyment. Gameplay is a smidge dated though. At worst should skim through a YouTube playthrough.

I don't think so, I don't usually go for older games that don't have the pull of nostalgia. Might check out YouTube.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat Alan Wake II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back