Coach Alastair Clarkson III - new NMFC senior coach until at least end 2027 - NMFC board approved AC to start 1/11 amid ongoing HFC racism investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This.

An alternative headline for the article could easily be "Successful leader is a control freak who sets ridiculously high standards". Hardly newsworthy.
If the alternative is Tarryn having a crack at supporters on insta 5 minutes after a game then I'm all for Clarkos methods.

Yeah look, I suspect RJ’s questions were legalled, the coaches would have no way to prove whether they would be identified in the final published copy, and because the players almost certainly weren’t named in RJ’s correspondence, they couldn’t have been joined to the legal action.

Legalled means crap, lawyers aren't always right. Coaches having "no way to prove whether they would be idcentified" wtf?

You use "suspect" and "almost certainly" because you've decided to dig on this increasingly indefensible position.

Very interesting that Caro has abandoned the racial element because she knows its bullshit.

Its OK to say this is an important issue that should have been brought to light while also acknowledging Rusty stuffed up the way he did that.

I thought I was goin f*ckin crazy, so many people elsewhere claiming this exact idea, that it's "so much stronger because these stories corroborate each other", but they just simply don't. They're just 3 separate stories featuring the same names. Unless I missed something, there is no crossover of the actual same event detailed in the same way.

Nobody has yet come forward to say I was there when this happened, or I heard Clarkson and Fagan talk about it.

For it to be defamatory, you need to be able to demonstrate a malicious intent. Who here could be said to have had malicious intent? Jackson wrote about what was in the Hawks report. The Hawks report included statements that may be true to those making them and reflective of their recollections of these discussions. Similarly, Clarko and Fagan may have different, and equally true, recollections of those conversations. Truth will likely lay somewhere in the middle. But no matter how you cut it, malicious intent is a high bar to satisfy and so defamation is off the cards. Even if Clarko wanted to go after the Barrett's and Caros of the world, they're trained to caveat what they say so as for avoid being sued.

That doesn't mean Rusty hates Clarko so made up lies.

Let’s be honest. If Jackson gave the coaches 72 hours instead, he might have ended up with an iteration of the statement that they both eventually provided. Or he might have ended up with nothing. (I suspect this would actually be the case, given they could have asked for more time and didn’t.)

In either scenario, the article would essentially have ended up how it appeared when the statements were added. There is no way they would have done interviews about allegations by anonymous former players.

So at the end of the day, it doesn’t make any material difference to the outcome whether it was 24 hours or 72 hours.

Clearly Jackson was confident enough in the veracity of the allegations to pull the trigger and publish.

Whether he was right or not to do that, in the manner he did, knowing what we know about the review and what has been identified by hsquid and others here, is the real nub of the “journalism ethics” part of this saga.
Yes, something like that has occurred to me as the likely scenario. What I like to think I would have done in Clarko's position if I had the guts is decline to have any input into the story, since it was already written and the most I could hope for is a brief quote or two that doesn't convey anything of use. Better to let the thing come out, weather the shitstorm, then respond on my own terms, in my own time, on my own platform.

It may well be that the article was more explosive and the shitstorm more shitty and stormy than he expected. Probably still worth it. I assume if anyone had access to a draft of the article rather than a bullet list of questions, we would have seen some attempt at an injunction.

cant believe Caro wrote a story off reading a book! wild times

I'm not discounting what's been reported so far, but Caro is either being vindictive, or like most other journalists is horribly late on reporting something that is as equally relevant then as it is now.

I'm not discounting what's been reported so far, but Caro is either being vindictive, or like most other journalists is horribly late on reporting something that is as equally relevant then as it is now.

She’s being a vindictive old crone.

That is nothing and it is a lead story in the age.

Wtf is going on? Why are they doing this? Are they going to pick apart every conversation in clarkos working relationships?

Disappointed in the age that it is sliding so low. It's not impartial reporting. It clearly has an agenda to bring him down.

Wtf is going on? Why are they doing this? Are they going to pick apart every conversation in clarkos working relationships?

Disappointed in the age that it is sliding so low. It's not impartial reporting. It clearly has an agenda to bring him down.
She would do anything to destroy our great club. Despicable human.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Clarko is proven to have done the stuff that has been alleged and he goes, then so be it.

But **** me the media is an absolute disgrace on this.

Sad thing is, the information coming out ultimately won't see any change in indigenous and welfare changes in the AFL.

Certainly not all execs farm out their email management to underlings but it definitely happens, especially among old school types or those receiving extremely high volumes of emails.

That doesn’t excuse Newbold’s claimed lack of knowledge. It’s either a serious breakdown of the system or a lie.
In the large corporate I’m most familiar with, it would be extremely common for PAs to have access to execs' emails, but essentially unheard of and extremely frowned upon for them to send on behalf of them without it being clear that’s the case - I.e., proper delegation rather than credential sharing.

It's not just caro. It's the age. It has an editor that is letting this drivel through.
That ‘editor’ has allowed her to produce dozens of vindictive unsubstantiated articles against a specific club for over a decade.

In the large corporate I’m most familiar with, it would be extremely common for PAs to have access to execs' emails, but essentially unheard of and extremely frowned upon for them to send on behalf of them without it being clear that’s the case - I.e., proper delegation rather than credential sharing.
Same in my experience. Sometimes it’s we will get back to you, but both PA and Exec are CC-Ed in.

It's not just caro. It's the age. It has an editor that is letting this drivel through.

She is clearly trying to say that it’s very much within his character to have done this to make his categoric denial seem more questionable and therefore trying to make it more difficult for him to return to the club prior to the resolution.

This drivel very much has malicious intent

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wonder when she read Mitchell's book?

If she or any other so-called journalist read it when it was published then they ignored an "explosive" story.

Perhaps back then they knew that these kind of goings-on are commonplace in the sporting world, even in the tiers below elite levels so in fact they knew it wasn't much of a story.

Actually, they might have taken the position that top level coaches and sports administration people have to be ruthless to succeed and there's little room for emotional responses. Lines get crossed.

There is a definite need for support of the people involved and the issue has to be confronted, but it is an issue that exists across the entire sporting world.

Perhaps an in-depth analysis of the junior girls gymnastics team would yield similar stories.

So it happened to others as well not just FN players or families?

"The majority of the former players contacted stressed that Clarkson saw himself as a father figure at the club who, while at times overstepping the mark in interfering in their personal lives, firmly believed he was prioritising the best interests of his footballers.

Several cited the example of Clarkson flying to the US unannounced to meet Lance Franklin at a time he was considering leaving Hawthorn, a move that backfired and disappointed Franklin. One player said Clarkson’s advice to avoid some family and friends had made him a better player."

This is the key. Caro should ask if Richmond interfering in Dusty's personal life made him a better player.

Her article today is admission the racism stuff is dead in the water. And that this is all she could dig up on the coercion stuff is pretty telling.

This.

An alternative headline for the article could easily be "Successful leader is a control freak who sets ridiculously high standards". Hardly newsworthy.

And also: "Is aware of this tendency and has learned from it, when he discussed openly at his presser when he became North coach."

I wonder when she read Mitchell's book?

If she or any other so-called journalist read it when it was published then they ignored an "explosive" story.

Perhaps back then they knew that these kind of goings-on are commonplace in the sporting world, even in the tiers below elite levels so in fact they knew it wasn't much of a story.

Actually, they might have taken the position that top level coaches and sports administration people have to be ruthless to succeed and there's little room for emotional responses. Lines get crossed.

There is a definite need for support of the people involved and the issue has to be confronted, but it is an issue that exists across the entire sporting world.

Perhaps an in-depth analysis of the junior girls gymnastics team would yield similar stories.

And swimming, and tennis.

But no, like 2018 when the book was published, it wouldn't have generated clicks.

Not just Caro, but Robbo et al. Nothing but locusts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back