Coach Alastair Clarkson III - new NMFC senior coach until at least end 2027 - NMFC board approved AC to start 1/11 amid ongoing HFC racism investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And also: "Is aware of this tendency and has learned from it, when he discussed openly at his presser when he became North coach."
Tellingly, the article describes how Mark Evans returned Mitchell's phone after Clarko confiscated it. I assume Viney will play a similar "pull your head in Clarko, you're being a d*ckhead" role at North.

This is the key. Caro should ask if Richmond interfering in Dusty's personal life made him a better player.

Her article today is admission the racism stuff is dead in the water. And that this is all she could dig up on the coercion stuff is pretty telling.
Fair bit of silence on Swanny selling the house he "was forced to buy" too.

Football clubs intruding on players' personal lives is a league issue, not a Clarkson racism issue. I'm not sure which the AFL execs would prefer it painted as though.

I wonder when she read Mitchell's book?

If she or any other so-called journalist read it when it was published then they ignored an "explosive" story.

Perhaps back then they knew that these kind of goings-on are commonplace in the sporting world, even in the tiers below elite levels so in fact they knew it wasn't much of a story.

Actually, they might have taken the position that top level coaches and sports administration people have to be ruthless to succeed and there's little room for emotional responses. Lines get crossed.

There is a definite need for support of the people involved and the issue has to be confronted, but it is an issue that exists across the entire sporting world.

Perhaps an in-depth analysis of the junior girls gymnastics team would yield similar stories.
Given what has happened in junior girls gymnastics, an unfortunate analogy.

It is interesting that if this is old news, it wasn’t explosive then, it was ignored or filed under ‘more examples of Clarkson being obsessively involved in players’ personal lives, the end justifying the means’. I don’t think it makes the specific allegations - which involve more vulnerable subjects and obviously go way across any reasonable line - less horrendous, but it does undercut the racism angle.

Tellingly, the article describes how Mark Evans returned Mitchell's phone after Clarko confiscated it. I assume Viney will play a similar "pull your head in Clarko, you're being a d*ckhead" role at North.

Exactly, Clarkson said as much.

Given what has happened in junior girls gymnastics, an unfortunate analogy.

It is interesting that if this is old news, it wasn’t explosive then, it was ignored or filed under ‘more examples of Clarkson being obsessively involved in players’ personal lives, the end justifying the means’. I don’t think it makes the specific allegations - which involve more vulnerable subjects and obviously go way across any reasonable line - less horrendous, but it does undercut the racism angle.

Issues about pregnancy are going to be HUGE in AFLW, especially as the money gets real big.

The grubby media is going to drip feed accusations and milk this story for all the clicks they can get.
Yep. Haven't read a thing after that first article as it will just be a tabloid bullshit festival.

Let the official processes play out, let the club work through what it means for them and let serious allegations be heard with as little prejudice as possible. I'm not giving these parasites clicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the alternative is Tarryn having a crack at supporters on insta 5 minutes after a game then I'm all for Clarkos methods.
TT needs to be traded while he has currency.

Lazy Lazy Lazy.

Will be the first to break down and cry under a Clarko pre season.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

That is nothing and it is a lead story in the age.

Wtf is going on? Why are they doing this? Are they going to pick apart every conversation in clarkos working relationships?

Disappointed in the age that it is sliding so low. It's not impartial reporting. It clearly has an agenda to bring him down.
The Age - Always Independent. Joke.

I would greatly encourage not to bother with seeing how people are reactin to this on other platforms. I've wasted a good 30 minutes reading the stupidest shit ive ever seen.

"He's clearly a psychopath, this makes him more racist, he'll never work again".

Hi everyone. One more post from me tonight.

Firstly, thanks for all the love. I've been obsessed by this club for a long time and somehow the events of the last years seem to have brought that to ever more intensity. This latest saga has me breathlessly following, desperate for that genuine 'turning corner' moment where we can see the team actually developing again and get on board for a ride that will have ups as well as downs. I know a lot of you feel the same and it's cathartic to have a community of equivi-nuts out there. Wonderfully, my Portuguese wife is fully on board and immersed in the journey with me too: I even woke up to her beaming face to give me the original Clarko news.

I want to add another point to this whole discussion, to talk about my personal journey. My first serious post on this topic was this one. I was an instant believer in the allegations. Their detail, their emotion. They made me feel sick and I wanted no part of it. I had no knee-jerk denial or tribal defensiveness.

My second post was this one a few days later. I already had suspicions. Things didn't seem right, the report seemed incomplete, the article under-researched, the stories hard to reconcile with broader facts we knew. I detailed out the reasons my view had shifted and the uncertainties I saw.

My third post was this one, pointing out the holes in the process around the report and specifically the details we could now see around how 'yarning' and 'story-telling had morphed into hard accusations against individuals, the mess this makes and where it comes from.

My most recent post was this one, pulling apart the abc statement justifying the way it had reported around the issue.

When you look at the path of those posts, it's striking how they have gone from full-empathy for the victims to strong skepticism of the process and the outcomes. This has happened in parallel with my own (yes, speculative) impression that the complete stories are likely to be very different from the versions we were first told. I don't believe that skepticism comes from my deep wishes that Clarkson is cleared, I hope my first post is sufficient evidence of that.

And it makes me think that if this all falls over, if the media got it wrong, if the ex-players are incomplete in their story-telling, what a terrible result this is for indigenous Australia. There is enormous racism in Australia, casual and otherwise. There is enormous ignorance of diversity and multiculturalism. There are many people indigenous and non-indigenous around Australia suffering from this. It's hard.

And there are always those quick to defend power. Quick to say every accusation is made up. Quick to look for flaws in the accusers rather than wanting to fix systems of pain.

If this process, if this report-writer and this journalist, good intentioned or otherwise, if they create stories that fall apart and feed the narrative that racism is exaggerated, that complaints are self-interested, that media outrage is a commoditised fabrication, then they will have done a great disservice to the victims of discrimination and racism in this country.

I can not agree with this more mate.

While I have refrained from posting my thoughts in this thread, my initial reaction mirrored your own and I believed that many on here were searching for any reason to discredit the allegations as the fallout for NMFC would be unbearable if they proved to be true.

However as the saga has progressed and upon reading the report/statements in detail, in addition to considering the educated opinions of posters on this forum (few and far between), I too have changed my opinion.

Unfortunately regardless of the outcome, from here there will be no winners and I believe potentially devastating setbacks for either our beloved football club or indigenous Australians.

I know which I would prefer.

I would greatly encourage not to bother with seeing how people are reactin to this on other platforms. I've wasted a good 30 minutes reading the stupidest s**t ive ever seen.

"He's clearly a psychopath, this makes him more racist, he'll never work again".
Rocket, Barassi, Wallace, Malthouse, Pagan, Shaw, Sheedy, Dimma, Bevo, Roos..

People are deluding themselves if they think overstepping boundaries is a Clarkson issue.

Let's have a review into all former players and see what pops up

That is nothing and it is a lead story in the age.

Wtf is going on? Why are they doing this? Are they going to pick apart every conversation in clarkos working relationships?

Disappointed in the age that it is sliding so low. It's not impartial reporting. It clearly has an agenda to bring him down.

Foxfooty.com.au asked 11 retired greats to recall the greatest coaching sprays.

NICK DAL SANTO

“We were playing at Etihad Stadium and had a poor first half. We had no pressure on the ball and not many tackles.
“Before the game our magnets were up on the board as normal, but at half-time there is a column of guys down the side of the whiteboard. Ross had come down early to reconfigure it.
“We didn’t have time to sit or get a drink at half-time. We were called straight into the meeting room and knew we were in massive trouble. Ross has his hands in the air standing there ready to unload.
“‘Schneider, no tackles’ — and flicks his magnet on a 45-degree angle on the floor. ‘Montagna, no tackles’ — and flicks the magnet to the floor again. He did the same thing to a few more guys.
“The very last name was Nick Riewoldt, who was the captain and our star. He never copped a spray — until this day.
“Ross paused … ‘Riewoldt, no tackles …’. He backhanded the magnet to the floor and punches the wall and says ‘for the ‘f***ing year!’ All the magnets skittled to the ground.”
Ross Lyon punched a wall when giving a spray to then St Kilda captain Nick Riewoldt.
Ross Lyon punched a wall when giving a spray to then St Kilda captain Nick Riewoldt. Credit: JOE CASTRO/AAPIMAGE
“The other story was one where Stephen Milne kept slipping over on a wet night in Sydney.
“Ross Lyon said we could wear whatever boots we wanted, but just keep your feet.
“We lost the game and Milney was wearing a pair of Pumas that were the same as mine.
“We rocked up on Monday to do the game review after travelling home. Not a word was said after the game about our footwear.
“Ross was standing at the front of the room with a white Puma. ‘You are no good to us if you are on the deck’ was one of his catchphrases. He started on this rant about footwear. If you get sore feet, bad luck, he said. Then he throws the footy boot into the wall as hard as he can. It was a backhander and it smashed into the wall.
“The next day we were going onto the training track and I went to my pigeon hole and I was missing a boot. It was still in the room where Ross had thrown it. He’d gone and got one of mine, thinking it was Milney’s, and didn’t bother to return it.”
DAVID KING
“Denis Pagan said to Corey McKernan when he was having a rough patch: ‘Listen, Corey, there are only two reasons why you run under the footy. One is because you misjudged it and let’s not talk about the other one.’
David King and Kangaroos coach Denis Pagan.
David King and Kangaroos coach Denis Pagan. Credit: AFL Photos/GSP
“He also gave me a massive bake after the 1994 qualifying final, which went into extra time. I marked the ball with 10 seconds to go in the fourth term and was 75 out because I thought I was 55 out. I thought I had a chance. I lost my bearings at Waverley and the game was drawn and Wayne Carey did his calf, which impacted our prelim final down the track.
“So the next week was the Gary Ablett mark over the top of Mick Martyn. We were out in straight sets. Carey was on one leg.
“He came up to me after the match and said: ‘I don’t think we needed the extra 10 minutes last week, son.’ That was cutting. It sat in my guts all summer.”
DERMOTT BRERETON
Swan Dean McRae.
Swan Dean McRae. Credit: AFL Photos/GSP
“Dean McRae copped a fierce one from Ron Barrassi one day.
“It was during a practice match for the Sydney Swans and McRae kicked out from full-back and turned it over straight to the opposition. We were playing against Brisbane in Campbelltown of all places. And remember, it was just a practice match.
“At half-time Ron Barassi was giving the team a bake and he looked at Dean, stopped, and said: ‘The sooner we get c**** like you out of this club, the better off we will be.’
“The reaction was deathly silence. It wasn’t even a real match.
“It’s pretty hard to win a player back from there, I would have thought.”

LEIGH MONTAGNA
“Xavier Clarke put some red tips in his hair in 2003 and he played badly that weekend.
“Grant Thomas gave him an almighty spray and made him go and get the tips out before his next game.
“He never got red tips again.

CAMERON MOONEY
Cameron Mooney holds the 1999 premiership cup with teammate Glenn Archer.
Cameron Mooney holds the 1999 premiership cup with teammate Glenn Archer. Credit: AFL Photos/GSP
“It was the 1999 Grand Final and there was five minutes to go. I finally got the call to go back on the ground after spending three quarters on the bench. I’d had 0 disposals to this point.
“I ran on and Simon Beaumont ran in front of me and I elbowed him and gave away a free kick.
“The runner came out and dragged me, even though we were 30 points up and about to win a flag.
“I had the phone handed to me. Denis Pagan called me everything under the sun, but what stuck me with me most was this: ‘Your mum and dad shouldn’t have had you!’
“He was three minutes away from becoming a dual premiership coach!”

NICK RIEWOLDT
“Malcolm Blight was having a go at Matthew Capuano, telling him he needed stronger hands.
“So they were in the gym at Moorabbin throwing a heavy medicine ball at each other. Back and forth, harder and harder. It got pretty willing.
“In the end one slipped through Blighty’s hands and got him square in the face!”

GARRY LYON
“When Neale Daniher first arrived at Melbourne, he was running a session on the Ian Johnson Oval opposite the Junction Oval.
Demons coach Neale Daniher addresses his players.
Demons coach Neale Daniher addresses his players. Credit: AFL Photos/GSP
“Glenn Lovett and I were in a rehab group. We were off to the side just relaxing and flicking the footy between us having a joke. I’d been captain for seven years and this is what you did if you were injured and couldn’t train.
“Anyway, from 100m away, Daniher screams out: ‘If you blokes aren’t training, ‘f*** off!’”

ALASTAIR LYNCH
“It was the State of Origin carnival 1988. We’d just been defeated by Queensland at Norwood Oval. I was playing for Tasmania.
“Robert Shaw gave James Manson a good spray and it ended up both of them spraying each other. We were in the small change rooms. They were both passionate competitors who could be fiery.
“It wasn’t the go for the player to go back at the coach. Normally you cop it on the chin but our big ruckman Jimmy went straight back at Robert Shaw and neither minced their words.”

JONATHAN BROWN
“We played Port Adelaide at Footy Park one night in 2008. We were 35 points down at half-time and Leigh (Matthews) gave Travis Johnstone one of the biggest tongue lashings I’ve ever seen in my entire life when we got into the rooms.
“It was fearful. It was all about the fact he was talented but not hard enough etc. I’ll never forget the ferocity of it.
“It struck a chord because Leigh didn’t load up too much at the Lions. He might have mellowed slightly when he came to us, but anyway, it worked! We won the match by 20 points.”
Brisbane midfielder Travis Johnstone.
Brisbane midfielder Travis Johnstone. Credit: Michael Willson/The Slattery Media Group

DWAYNE RUSSELL
“It was a windy day at Waverley and the direction was to kick it straight across the other side of the ground to kill the quarter. That was the plan, to put it to the dead pocket.
“It was working perfectly, but Austin McCrab did the exact opposite and the Hawks kicked six goals in the next 12 minutes.
“At quarter-time Malcolm Blight told Austin to go and stand away from the group with the umpires and spoke to the rest of us in the huddle.
“Also, when Blighty was coaching Woodville in South Australia, he made them train at three quarter-time because their kicking was so bad. So they were doing lane work up and down the oval while the other team was in the huddle.”

JASON DUNSTALL
“Ken Judge gave one to Stevie Lawrence when I was injured one day and in the coaches box. So I heard it all.
“Stevie’s best was very good but when he was off, he could do some annoying things. “Anyway, Judgey got on the phone and said: ‘Go and get that bloke, get him off the field, out of the team, out of the club and, while you’re at it, out of my life.’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back