Coach Alastair Clarkson III - new NMFC senior coach until at least end 2027 - NMFC board approved AC to start 1/11 amid ongoing HFC racism investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things looking good imo....he'll be back end of this month and we move on
I mean from a timing perspective, the December outcome seems like it’s going to drag, rather than “play out” with Clarko back coaching on November 1st

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don’t mean to be a killjoy, but I would be staggered if Clarkson commenced work on 1 Nov. It is very standard practice in cases of this kind for the alleged perpetrator to be stood down on pay while the investigation is completed and a finding made; it’s slightly unusual in that the alleged perpetrator would be moving onto our payroll, but the general point remains the same.

On another aspect of this, I’ve had some dealings with Jackie Turfrey and she is a hard core operator, so this is not going to be an easy road home

I don’t mean to be a killjoy, but I would be staggered if Clarkson commenced work on 1 Nov. It is very standard practice in cases of this kind for the alleged perpetrator to be stood down on pay while the investigation is completed and a finding made; it’s slightly unusual in that the alleged perpetrator would be moving onto our payroll, but the general point remains the same.

On another aspect of this, I’ve had some dealings with Jackie Turfrey and she is a hard core operator, so this is not going to be an easy road home
I think we all want the contextualised truth to come out. As long as the inverstigation looks at what happened and why and requires real, tested evidence for any substantive finding then we're in a good place. In the small chance this shows he's crossed the line we are better off knowing that now.

I think we all want the contextualised truth to come out. As long as the inverstigation looks at what happened and why and requires real, tested evidence for any substantive finding then we're in a good place. In the small chance this shows he's crossed the line we are better off knowing that now.
Agree 100%, I’m just trying to cool some jets about 1 Nov, which I think is a non-starter

Agree 100%, I’m just trying to cool some jets about 1 Nov, which I think is a non-starter
I think he can still start Nov 1. He was 5 years coaching Hawthorn after any alleged events where current players and recent retirees feel 'culturally safe'. I don't see a big risk of him running a trade period and part of a preseason. You would think there would be a bigger risk to players if they didn't have a stable coaching environment at all.

I think he can still start Nov 1. He was 5 years coaching Hawthorn after any alleged events where current players and recent retirees feel 'culturally safe'. I don't see a big risk of him running a trade period and part of a preseason. You would think there would be a bigger risk to players if they didn't have a stable coaching environment at all.
Nope, can’t see it; the risk to current players can’t be known until the past is analysed

The big question is ‘What’s crossing the line’?
  • Making a 18 year old shower nude in front of grown men.
  • Making 19 year olds having compulsory cold water sessions at St Kilda beach.
  • yelling at a player without taking into account past trauma
  • Forcing an 18 year old share a room with someone who is not family.
  • Telling young men that they will be cut from the team, unless they stop hanging around friends and family

Football clubs and professional sporting clubs, are not like any other workplace in the world. Of course these issues need to be investigated, but I wonder where we end up after this investigation.

Nope, can’t see it; the risk to current players can’t be known until the past is analysed
I take your point and agree that when there are investigations like this then it's standard practice to stand down while they play out. I wouldn't be astonished if they decide to wait it out.

But I'd point out that nothing in this process has followed standard practice so responses should probably adapt to that. Normally nobody would be named without any fact-finding being done. The names in the report are totally arbitrary: There was another name there that was redacted and isn't public for no apparent reason other than that person subsequently was supportive of the ex-player in question. The TORs of the report were just to listen and recommend support, and it's scope was the systems and the club not individuals. No accusations were even investigated. Choosing people to stand down based on the criteria that Egan inappropriately chose to name them or someone made an anonymous tip to the media isn't following standard practice, it's corrupting natural justice. If anyone should stand down based on the report it should be the Hawthorn football club, as that was the scope it covered.

Last edited:
So any idea how this works?

Four member panel are the jury? Clarko/fagan etc lawyers ask questions of those being questioned, lawyer for accusers ask questions, and Gordon asks questions on behalf of afl? So any person being questioned can be cross examined by 3 people?

Sounds like it's just the allegations from the families being investigated. Personally I think that's the worst option the AFL can take, and arguably the worst for Clarkson. I'm worried a lot of the context will be lost regarding clubs controlling players lives, and instead the focus entirely on the actions Clarkson did or did not take with these specific players/families. I'm pretty confident most of this is just person A saying one thing and Person B interpreting it the wrong way, but from the standpoint of a regular workplace most of the things Clarkson would have done are messed up; as has been stated AFL clubs and sports clubs in general simply operate differently when it comes to the lines they cross intruding in player's lives.

He'll probably come out OK, but man am I concerned they're going to go the racism scapegoat route to avoid dealing with the league at large arguably crossing lines it shouldn't on a regular basis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean from a timing perspective, the December outcome seems like it’s going to drag, rather than “play out” with Clarko back coaching on November 1st

Clarko will return on November 1 - he will complete his submission to the hearing after that. He will continue to coach up until Xmas and once he is exonerated on 22 Dec it’s business as usual. Don’t see why this is a problem for Clarko.

Clarko will return on November 1 - he will complete his submission to the hearing after that. He will continue to coach up until Xmas and once he is exonerated on 22 Dec it’s business as usual. Don’t see why this is a problem for Clarko.

Sound extremely confident on the dates?

Sound extremely confident on the dates?

My source from the Clarko camp has told me this - I posted it last night and then 10 minutes later John Ralph confirmed the same. Another poster on here Psicosis has heard similar and has also mentioned Sonja is prepared to take the flack externally. I don’t see why he can’t coach - no one stood him down except himself.

Last edited:
My source from the Clarko camp has told me this - I posted it last night and then 10 minutes later John Ralph confirmed the same. Another poster on her Psicosis has heard similar and has also mentioned Sonja is prepared to take the flick externally. I don’t see why he can’t coach - no one stood him down except himself.

We were meant to be done in 6 weeks, it has taken 3 weeks to form the panel, if that is any kind of guide then this thing will still be going in March, I don't think our club can afford to not have a coach for that kind of length of time.

My source from the Clarko camp has told me this - I posted it last night and then 10 minutes later John Ralph confirmed the same. Another poster on here Psicosis has heard similar and has also mentioned Sonja is prepared to take the flack externally. I don’t see why he can’t coach - no one stood him down except himself.

I eagerly await Nov 1st

Exactly! He did the right thing at the time by saying he'd delay his start date but as more information has come to light it's clear this is no longer necessary. As long as the club / players are happy for him to coach (which they clearly are) there's no reason why he shouldn't start on November 1st. The investigation can continue in the background. He might miss the odd day here and there but it's better than missing the whole preseason.

Sounds like it's just the allegations from the families being investigated. Personally I think that's the worst option the AFL can take, and arguably the worst for Clarkson. I'm worried a lot of the context will be lost regarding clubs controlling players lives, and instead the focus entirely on the actions Clarkson did or did not take with these specific players/families. I'm pretty confident most of this is just person A saying one thing and Person B interpreting it the wrong way, but from the standpoint of a regular workplace most of the things Clarkson would have done are messed up; as has been stated AFL clubs and sports clubs in general simply operate differently when it comes to the lines they cross intruding in player's lives.

He'll probably come out OK, but man am I concerned they're going to go the racism scapegoat route to avoid dealing with the league at large arguably crossing lines it shouldn't on a regular basis.
You can bet your arse if Clarko is made a scapegoat he'll take it straight to court and that will be the last thing The AFL wants.

He'll be right.

Hi all,

Sorry if I am weeks behind but I have just been told Alistair has retained Julie Condon KC as his Counsel? If true then he could not be in better hands, She is an amazing advocate who defends her clients to the absolute hilt, regardless of any opprobrium. She is not afraid of anyone or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back