Coach Alastair Clarkson III - new NMFC senior coach until at least end 2027 - NMFC board approved AC to start 1/11 amid ongoing HFC racism investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So those making the accusations don't like it... I'm getting the vibe that the accusers won't cooperate with the investigation.
Of course they won't. They were hoping to stay anonymous and get a juicy little payout.

It's probably just now the gravity of what they've got themselves into would be starting to hit home..

I have a few thoughts on it.

Firstly I agree with your second sentence, but I was expecting they would be relatively quiet right about now. Should have known better considering this all started with a news article.

Secondly I can just imagine clarko working being one of the stumbling blocks on them accepting any process, for example if the AFL caves on one or two things but then they say they can't take them seriously if they allow him to work.

Last but definitely not least, this article, for the first time, makes me think this might well be about money. I'm concerned they want the AFL to formally stand him down, essentially as a form of admission of guilt.

I dunno. I actually doubt the process ever gets going at this rate, but after them publicly putting pressure on the AFL I'm finding it hard to be as confident as everyone else that he'll be starting nov 1.
Fair commentary however the AFL has not prevented anyone from coaching - this was a decision made by Clarkson and Fagan. The AFL do not want legal action which us what would happen if they stopped either from resuming. And when I say legal action I mean they would just take the whole thing to be tested in court rather than an inquiry. Both the accusers and the AFL don’t want that.

Clarkson starting Nov 1 just became harder after that article.
If Clarkson is in the right headspace then l dont see why he couldn't start on Nov1. He could be called in to give his side of the events prior to Nov 1 and then on certain days during the process. Getting back into something he knows and loves may help him. Dont forget Clarkson and Sonja both agreed that he could take a leave of absence to clear his name during this time and he wasn't stood down as some seem to think..

Settle petal. The panel will engage with all parties and smooth things over.
But they are going to have to address the question of Clarko’s start date and I suspect he'll wait until the enquiry is finished to allow it to run as smoothly as possible. At the end of the day we want to see an outcome where all parties feel they have been listened to and their concerns addressed.
I disagree.spunds like he's ready to get to business

AFL is in a bit of a tricky spot.

On the face of it, the panel seems as independent as can be - surely anyone the accusers would want on the board would be beneficial to their case and would not be truly independent?

I don't really have any legal knowledge, but as these are allegations that have been categorically denied, would the AFL be opening themselves up to any legal action from Clarko if they stood him down.. purely based on allegations?

For me the biggest things that stand out is

1- the anonymous accusers again speaking out against the investigation despite the panel not being associated with the afl and 2 being indigenous. What do they actually want?

2- not providing their names to the afl. What are they going to do when they have to give evidence?

3- the afl stating that one of the main aims of the panel is to provide a platform for mediation if one party requests it during the hearing.

Part 3 tells me a lot about how the afl see this

Settle petal. The panel will engage with all parties and smooth things over.
But they are going to have to address the question of Clarko’s start date and I suspect he'll wait until the enquiry is finished to allow it to run as smoothly as possible. At the end of the day we want to see an outcome where all parties feel they have been listened to and their concerns addressed.
That’s fair enough but why are the accusers - 1 continuing to remain anonymous 2 not happy with the panel and want to be involved in picking the panel 3 have gone to the media AGAIN 4 not willing to cooperate with the inquiry just announced.
If I was Clarkson and Fagan where is the fairness to them - therefore I would just say stuff it - see you in court.

After doing a little research on each of the candidates appointed they look to be well qualified, independent and ethical. I don’t think anyone can ask for more than that.

That’s fair enough but why are the accusers - 1 continuing to remain anonymous 2 not happy with the panel and want to be involved in picking the panel 3 have gone to the media AGAIN 4 not willing to cooperate with the inquiry just announced.
If I was Clarkson and Fagan where is the fairness to them - therefore I would just say stuff it - see you in court.
The families have told ABC Sport that the health and emotional wellbeing of themselves and their children is their first priority, and that the possibility of their identities being leaked was a cause of significant emotional distress. For the sake of the review commissioned by Hawthorn, they had been guaranteed anonymity.

"My clients, yet again, feel they are being marginalised," Ms Courtin told ABC Sport.

"For an inquiry to be fair, its establishment should take into consideration the needs and concerns of all parties. As this family's legal representatives, we have not been approached by either the Hawthorn Club or the AFL.

"An inquiry that is paid for and established by the AFL, and absent of any input from my clients, is not and cannot be independent."

3. They have gone to the media because they only heard about the enquiry when it was announced by the AFL. It was an administrative mix up, but their noses have been put out of joint.

4. They haven't said they won't participate, they said they felt "marginalised".

For me the biggest things that stand out is

1- the anonymous accusers again speaking out against the investigation despite the panel not being associated with the afl and 2 being indigenous. What do they actually want?

2- not providing their names to the afl. What are they going to do when they have to give evidence?

3- the afl stating that one of the main aims of the panel is to provide a platform for mediation if one party requests it during the hearing.

Part 3 tells me a lot about how the afl see this
Get out the broom and the paper bags

Why the * should the accused have any say who’s on the investigation panel?

Criminals don’t get to chose the magistrate/judge/justice.
Who are the accused? Clarko, Fagan and Burt? Or the Hawthorn Football Club?
It's an investigation not a criminal trial. And I don't think anyone is suggesting HFC or Clarko should have a say on the investigation panel. I think the indigenous families at the centre of this feel they should have been consulted about the review process.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think It’s a smart move to push Clarko’s physical start date back.
Then when he begins, it’s with a clean slate.
I think the club should announce an interim head coach until Clarkson returns though. To provide the players and other coaches with leadership and direction, training begins in a months time. Most probably Patch Adams or Todd Viney

Also, who did they want to pay for this panel or review process? Someone would have had to and I'm sure they are not in a position to establish or pay for this investigation themselves.

Who are the accused? Clarko, Fagan and Burt? Or the Hawthorn Football Club?
It's an investigation not a criminal trial. And I don't think anyone is suggesting HFC or Clarko should have a say on the investigation panel. I think the indigenous families at the centre of this feel they should have been consulted about the review process.
Apologies. Autocorrect was not my friend.

Is meant to read accusers.

Can anyone advise how many past players are making accusations?

The initial ABC article seemed to be about three players and it looked to be three players from what I read of the leaked report.

There now seems to be two lawyers representing five families.

The initial ABC article seemed to be about three players and it looked to be three players from what I read of the leaked report.

My understanding is that it’s 3 players and partners (past and present)

I can, check out the pedigree of his legal representative in John Tuck of Corrs Chambers Westgarth!
I know John Tuck, and I have also dealt with Jackie Turfrey who will sit on the panel. My assumption is that the panel will take a dim view of Clarkson commencing in the midst of the investigation, and it won't do him any favours. People thinking otherwise haven't been in one of these processes

There were five families identified under pseudonyms in the Hawthorn report (which I don't think has been released). Three families' stories were told in the initial ABC report, I think we're all assuming they're among the five.

The Hawks process had holes and leaks all over the place. Could you imagine what would happen if the family names were confirmed? Animals all over social media would destroy them.

The Hawks process had holes and leaks all over the place. Could you imagine what would happen if the family names were confirmed? Animals all over social media would destroy them.

Again, if they won’t provide their names to the afl, how are they going to be included in this investigation?

Also, how does a lawyer for the accused prepare to cross examine someone they are unaware of?

Another point that seems relevant is why has the scope of this suddenly gone from 2010 to 2008?

Again, if they won’t provide their names to the afl, how are they going to be included in this investigation?

Also, how does a lawyer for the accused prepare to cross examine someone they are unaware of?

Another point that seems relevant is why has the scope of this suddenly gone from 2010 to 2008?
They will be made known to all parties and their confidentiality maintained I assume. Because the investigation will be run by the four panellists, the AFL don't need to be told. It's not that hard, courts do it all the time.
Probably going back to 2008 cause it was always a bit suss that grubby Jeff excluded his time in charge.

I mean, even if clarkson isnt physically there, i would assume that between patch and viney they would be able to at the very least start to put into practice exactly what clarko would want. Specific training sessions and drills, game plan discussion, etc.

Obviously this isn't a perfect substitute, and im not attempting to debate if clarko should or should not be there. But it seems like progress could be made regardless.

Hell, figure out a live stream and give clarko the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back