Coach Alastair Clarkson IV - HFC Racism Investigation Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading that makes me think Rioli etc have been given wrong advice about how they approached this.
Could have started out with Kate Eastman or someone similar.

If the Hawthorn defence can be accepted at face value, there are a number of grounds upon which this whole thing should be dismissed from a purely legal standpoint. If their argument is sound, then it's astonishing that the players' lawyer didn't advise them in the strongest terms to take whatever settlement is offered and walk away.

Hawk was pulled from do-or-die final after drug use, club alleges​

By Peter Ryan

October 10, 2024 — 1.57pm

Hawthorn claim they pulled Carl Peterson from the 2010 elimination final against Fremantle after his partner informed them he had used marijuana in the week leading up to the game, according to their defence lodged in the Federal Court.

The Hawks also claim that Peterson returned from a trip during the 2009 mid-season break incoherent and appearing to be affected by alcohol or illicit substances. Peterson also allegedly advised a club official he had no money in his bank account and had lost his clothing.

Carl Peterson during his last season with the Hawks.

Carl Peterson during his last season with the Hawks.Credit: Sebastian Costanzo

In the document, which is a response to a statement of claim from ex-Hawks Cyril Rioli, Peterson and others, Hawthorn also denied a meeting between Peterson, Alastair Clarkson, Chris Fagan and Jason Burt – where Clarkson was alleged to have suggested Peterson’s partner should terminate a pregnancy – ever took place.

The filing of Hawthorn’s defence is the latest development in the Federal Court action lodged against the football club, arising from allegations contained in the Hawks’ 2022 cultural safety review.

The defence also argues that Rioli signed a deed of release with Hawthorn at the time of his retirement in 2018 that precludes him from taking Federal Court action. It also states that the champion Hawk received “valuable consideration” from Hawthorn at that time.

Hawthorn argue “the proceeding is an abuse of process due to the delay by the applicants in commencing the proceeding”.

Cyril Rioli in full flight for the Hawks in 2012.

Cyril Rioli in full flight for the Hawks in 2012.Credit: Sebastian Costanzo

In the defence, Hawthorn say they recruited Peterson at the end of 2008 despite “concerns relating to his drug use and his failure of a voluntary drug test in or around that time” being raised by the club’s recruiting team.

Peterson lived with a host family and welfare staff including Burt and David Flood until early 2009 when he moved in with his partner Nikita Rotumah. He was delisted in October 2010.

Hawthorn deny that a meeting – at which Peterson alleged in the statement of claim that Clarkson said words to the effect of “unless you break up with her and tell her to terminate the pregnancy, your football career will be in jeopardy” – ever happened.

The document “denies that any meeting with the coaches occurred after Peterson informed Burt that Rotumah was pregnant”. It says that Fagan, Burt and Clarkson first became aware the pair were expecting a baby when Peterson announced the news to teammates in late July or early August and any of their actions before that point occurred without any awareness his partner was pregnant.

The Hawks also deny the following allegations from the statement of claim:
  • That Peterson told Clarkson and Burt that he had told Rotumah it was not a good idea to have the baby or for them to see each other
  • That Clarkson and Burt told Peterson words to the effect that he would stay at Burt’s house for a few days
  • That Burt drove Peterson to his house, and on the way purchases a SIM card and told Peterson words to the effect that it would be best that Peterson was not able to communicate with his family any more so he could be 100 per cent focused on his training
Burt, Clarkson and Fagan have denied all the allegations against them, which were initially aired in the cultural safety review and made public by the ABC in grand final week of 2022.

Peterson eventually moved back with Rotumah in early 2010 and their baby was born in February 2010.

More to come

Jeez the whole bain moard mob who took Tuck Shop King Rusty Jackson's article as holy writ look ****ing stupid now hey.

SYL now thinks it s "complex matter" lol

Last edited:
The really heavy stuff starts at paragraph 46 - the Peterson abortion meeting onward.

Complete denial that it ever happened hey, which is chimes with what I've always heard

I’m most of the way through it. Only concerning part so far is the admission to paragraph 94.

For those not as deep down the rabbit hole, the reference is:

During his visit to Alice Springs, Mr Clarkson said to Mr Rioli words to this effect: “why do these Aboriginals have darker skin that you?”.

That's culturally insensitive, but hardly indicative of racism.

I mean, from the sounds of things he probably would have asked other players like Buddy/Shaun Burgoyne/Brad Hill that too and they probably would have gone "Ah jeez Al, don't ever say that again mate, skin colour isn't representative of who is and isn't or is more indigenous" and he'd have gone shit learned my lesson here.

I mean, from the sounds of things he probably would have asked other players like Buddy/Shaun Burgoyne/Brad Hill that too and they probably would have gone "Ah jeez Al, don't ever say that again mate, skin colour isn't representative of who is and isn't or is more indigenous" and he'd have gone shit learned my lesson here.
The guitar allegation at 177 of the claim is also denied.

What makes this interesting is Burgoyne is supposed to have been there. What is his recollection?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a term in the top end - "Yellow Fella" that refers to people who had members of the Makassan people in their ancestry. Its not a term of disrespect or anything afaik but is sposed to acknowledge their heritage also includes people from across the sea. Might have nothing to do with Cyril's background tho.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson IV - HFC Racism Investigation Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back