Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s a reason clarko was given 5 years and I get that. But I am not convinced he’s up to it

??!?

**** me what a low bar we have set for ourselves these days
Lol did you turn up to every game before the bye? I was convinced we weren't good enough to win a game.

We've then beat WCE in Perth.

Played some scintilating football against the Pies (last years premiers).

Played a really competetive (physical) game against Melbourne and should have won (should have been last years premiers)

Lost to the dogs by 17, competetive game, just butchered it.

Good win over GCS who have beaten some okay teams at home this year.

Smashed by Swan's.

Really physical performance against Blues and got done by some poor umpiring calls / skill errors.

Competetive against Geelong in Hobart but again, some poor mistakes let us down.

Beat Tigers. Good spirit.

Should have beaten WCE but lost. Effort was good. Again, just bad mistakes.

Pumepd today but brought in a lot of average footballers and lost two with concussion.

Likely pumping coming the week after.

So post bye, 9 good performances 3 poor ones. That's a good turn around coming into next year. Players signing. Culture good internally just carrying way too many *******s.

Lol did you turn up to every game before the bye? I was convinced we weren't good enough to win a game.

Played a really competetive (physical) game against Melbourne and should have won (should have been last years premiers)

Smashed by Swan's.

Really physical performance against Blues and got done by some poor umpiring calls / skill errors.

Competetive against Geelong in Hobart but again, some poor mistakes let us down.

Pumepd today but brought in a lot of average footballers and lost two with concussion.

So post bye, 9 good performances 3 poor ones. That's a good turn around coming into next year. Players signing. Culture good internally just carrying way too many *******s.
The problem with all of this is every thing is should have.

The bottom line, is that we didn’t. We continue to not do things we should do.

There's only so many times you can throw a new coach at a group of players, keep getting the same results, and still blame the coach every time.

While he's not coaching great by any stretch of the imagination, at some point you have to consider that it's not always just the cowboy, sometimes its the cattle.

I'm convinced he's still got the fire. But it's not burning as brightly because of everything on the side.

My fantasy is a lawyer-free (and wife free) meeting where he feels safe to acknowledge the pain his actions have caused, everyone hugs it out, he flies up to the Riolis' for a BBQ and beer.

So typical for all that to spill over just as we get our hands on him. So ****ing typical. If that sounds self indulgent, I don't care. Unless you think he's a cartoon villain, it was in all likelihood a series of cultural miscommunications and gaffes that could've been rectified by now. Sod it all. ****ing sod it all

The coach is responsible for onfield output.

If they aren’t executing skills. Practice them to you can’t get them wrong (within reason).

If they are they aren’t executing set ups correctly, practice them.

If the players aren’t fit enough, train harder.

The club is in this delusional bubble that everything will just turn out ok with time.

That shit just doesn’t fly any more.

There’s been two years.

And we’re where we started.
The coaches don't actually get much time with the players, most of it is looking at vision.
They have two mandated 2 hr training sessions a week I believe and one of them is basically a " light run through" because players are managed to get up to play the game that week with soreness and fatigue etc.
Clarko needs to coach better. I would've liked to have seen Colby or Zurhaar move into the middle and the setups weren't great from the looks of it, but I also don't think he's got players who can run and execute kicks to the level.

I just think the list is very poor. I think some get seduced into thinking some players are better than they are like Eddie Ford. Our recruiting has lacked players with good athletic profiles and good foot skills for more than a decade.
We'd want to see some more wins next year though or perhaps Clarko comes under some serious scrutiny.
I'm more of the view that he hasn't quite got the cattle at this point, but he could coach better with what he's got.

Smashed by Swan's.

Yep I go to every home game and have done so throughout our past 5 years of shitness (covid permitting)

Our wins since the bye have seen us barely fall over the line. We don't blow a 35 point lead in a quarter and Yeo doesn't get a semi-contentious HTB against him in the dying stages, we probably lose. Ainsworth kicks that relatively simple goal at the 27th min mark of the 4th and we probably lose. Richmond have 6 scoring shots in a row for 1.5 before Bailey kicks the sealer, if it isn't for Richmond's inaccuracy we probably lose.

Maybe I just have a different definition of the word brilliant but in hindsight we could easily have gone this whole season without a win if not for a bit of luck. Brilliant is the way I would describe how a team like Hawthorn have been playing recently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But that's the bounce of the ball isn't? Sometimes it is in your favour and other times it isn't. There are games that we lost by small margins, and if not for the ifs and buts, they could have been wins?
Most of the ifs and buts stem from a pathological lack of belief in their winning abilities imo. The skills and effort have been more than fine at several junctures this year. Maybe Clarko should sit them down and repeat that they have it in them to be winners? Good Will Hunting style?

But that's the bounce of the ball isn't? Sometimes it is in your favour and other times it isn't. There are games that we lost by small margins, and if not for the ifs and buts, they could have been wins?

We are largely put in those positions by our own poor performances though. Again, not brilliant to be in those positions in the first place.

I am not advocating change in the leaders at the club, and I am all for creating a happy environment at the club to be at, but I hope that the leaders of the club are holding the players to account for that performance. At some point we have to be better than that. Line in the sand moment. That crap is done

There's only so many times you can throw a new coach at a group of players, keep getting the same results, and still blame the coach every time.

Bingo.

Been saying it for years now but this board and this fanbase significantly over-rates our own players.

We have two, maybe three bonafide A graders on our list. One of those is a second year teenager.

We have a lot of list clogging spuds.

There were strong rumours that Clarko gave the players his most serious bake after last weeks amateur hour ending.

IF that is the case and the players served up that tripe today then Clarko's voice is not resonating with this playing group as he would have expected or was used to at Hawthorn.

The next option for Clarko is to make statements at the selection table - he has one round left so let's see it.

Bingo.

Been saying it for years now but this board and this fanbase significantly over-rates our own players.

We have two, maybe three bonafide A graders on our list. One of those is a second year teenager.

We have a lot of list clogging spuds.

And yet we keep trading them in.

In defence of Clarko he came to the club & everyone was up & about.
The first season was a write off due to the Hawks racism saga.
The second pre season wasn't helped by the Tarryn Thomas issues.
He's also inherited a heap of poorly skilled, pencil armed footballers who have had poor standards drilled into them over the last 5+ years.

In defence of Clarko he came to the club & everyone was up & about.
The first season was a write off due to the Hawks racism saga.
The second pre season wasn't helped by the Tarryn Thomas issues.
He's also inherited a heap of poorly skilled, pencil armed footballers who have had poor standards drilled into them over the last 5+ years.
Let’s keep making excuses for Clarko …. Truth is that after 2 years we are 6 wins & nearly 40 losses 🤷‍♂

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back