Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

He took over a list that had been trashed. That he's led us to two 3win/17th seasons is very, very disappointing. Everyone expected better, but the list was/is filled with sub-par AFL footballers and you can't make strawberry jam out of dog poop.

But Clarko has failed. Badly. That after two seasons he has failed to assert minimum standards of effort and professionalism and kill the evident loser culture is disastrous. That after two years of his coaching, a North Melbourne team walked out into an AFL match today with NO intention on competing AT ALL, content on embarrassing themselves, their club and their fans...for the second week in a row...is an indictment on his messaging to the group and/or his ability to get a message through.

Clarko's first coach at NMFC once said, "You can't always have a winning side, but you can always have a team that fights." I give as many shits that it was a dead last round rubber for us, as the team did about fighting out today's game...ZERO. We very well may finish in the bottom 2 again next year, in fact I expect it with the crap we have on the list, but if Clarko can't assert himself on this group and make them play with some pride every single week, he can hit the bricks.

He mentioned west coast getting drubbed by geelong and “nothing to play for” a few times.

I’m sorry, but there’s always something to play for. Pride. The jumper. The fans.

Clarko has had 2 years now.
2025 will be his 3rd year.
Brad Scott started cutting our list in half in 2016.
8 years now rebuilding, 4 years of top draft picks, and we’re still right down the bottom.
8 wins next year is the pass mark.
I don’t care about the age of the list, or poor draft picks, terrible trades, covid affected players, the hub, David Noble, Rhyce Shaw, Tarryn Thomas, JHF, Ben Armafio, racism investigations.
It is all BULL $#\+.
8 wins in 2025 is the expectation

8 years now rebuilding, 4 years of top draft picks, and we’re still right down the bottom.
I don’t care about the age of the list, or poor draft picks, terrible trades, covid affected players, the hub, David Noble, Rhyce Shaw, Tarryn Thomas, JHF, Ben Armafio, racism investigations.
It is all BULL $#\+.
8 wins - I’ll do a Nudey run up Arden street

It is all BULL $#\+.
Sorry to tell you but 8 wins isn't happening next year. Unless there's a massive change to the culture of the club, no injuries and we actually make fitness and strength gains over the pre-season.
As it is now, 8 wins is impossible

Not excusing anything, but the proper rebuild didn't begin until the end of 2020. Wasted 2017/18 under Bard's aggressive reset, then had the Shaw sugar hit in 2019. Delayed the inevitable, until we completely collapsed in the hub.

Duh.

The joint has had a poor culture for a decade. Why would this year be any different?

I'm talking specifically under Watts day to day leadership as CEO.

It's not good.

Hang on.... Haven't we heard from everyone publicly that it's all roses?

The whole place is seemingly still in denial and unable to be honest with themselves.

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dunno about the culture inside the footy department - i'm talking about the actual front office of the club. As a working environment, I'm hearing it's been poor for a couple years now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve had a bit of time to calm down IF we had beaten Collingwood, Melbourne and West Coast like we should have then a 5 win season is looking so much better than a 2 win season and we reflect on the year as one of improvement.

The reality is we weren’t quite good enough to win those games but I don’t think we’re that far away. We almost turned the corner after the bye, lots to do over the preseason but I think we’re close to turning this around.

Sorry to tell you but 8 wins isn't happening next year. Unless there's a massive change to the culture of the club, no injuries and we actually make fitness and strength gains over the pre-season.
As it is now, 8 wins is impossible

Not excusing anything, but the proper rebuild didn't begin until the end of 2020. Wasted 2017/18 under Bard's aggressive reset, then had the Shaw sugar hit in 2019. Delayed the inevitable, until we completely collapsed in the hub.
That’s all the BullS/&T I’m talking about.
Agressive re-set, sugar hit… it’s all crap..
None of that crap has any effect on our current coaches and playing list.
After this years draft, we have 5 years of high picks
Every player we want to keep has signed up for 2025.
Clarko is said to be the coach of this generation.
8 wins is the pass.

Please elaborate given you’ve been told. Is the culture bad amongst the players or between the coaches and players etc?

I have no info on the culture amongst the players/coaches.

My info is specific to the front office/administration type area. The type of people who are directly under Jen Watts, and not Todd Viney/Alastair Clarkson.

Think; corporate partnerships, communications, media, membership, events, strategy, legal, wellbeing, etc.

My info is specific to the front office/administration type area. The type of people who are directly under Jen Watts, and not Todd Viney/Alastair Clarkson.
Ok, thanks. Glad it’s not between players and/or coaches etc.

I’ve NOT been impressed with Jen Watts from what I’ve seen to date.

That’s all the BullS/&T I’m talking about.
Agressive re-set, sugar hit… it’s all crap..
None of that crap has any effect on our current coaches and playing list.
After this years draft, we have 5 years of high picks
Every player we want to keep has signed up for 2025.
Clarko is said to be the coach of this generation.
8 wins is the pass.
Meant that by the time we started the rebuild, JZ and Cunners were 29, Taz was 31 and Goldy and Higgo 32. If we start 3 years earlier we have a much stronger leadership base, to carry through the rebuild.

That's why we're so rudderless now, all of our senior leaders are gone. And those who are left aren't up to it.
All these high draft picks are being led by the blind, they don't stand a chance. The fact Harry is even being considered to be captain next year is an indictment. He's 19, he shouldn't have to carry the load ffs

Clarko is on hiding to nothing as much as the young kids are. Trying to get anything out of these listless campaigners is an almost impossible task.
Losing cultures are all consuming and there are very few capable of setting standards to reverse it.

We are in a vortex of s**t, it'll take a miracle to get out.

Duh.

The joint has had a poor culture for a decade. Why would this year be any different?

Nah, that's not the case.

Working culture was (supposedly) a non-issue for a long time, even under some pretty average leadership in terms of Amarfio and Dilena.

Ok, thanks. Glad it’s not between players and/or coaches etc.

I’ve NOT been impressed with Jen Watts from what I’ve seen to date.

The culture among the playing group was on full display all over York Park this afternoon.

I’ve had a bit of time to calm down IF we had beaten Collingwood, Melbourne and West Coast like we should have then a 5 win season is looking so much better than a 2 win season and we reflect on the year as one of improvement.

The reality is we weren’t quite good enough to win those games but I don’t think we’re that far away. We almost turned the corner after the bye, lots to do over the preseason but I think we’re close to turning this around.

We could have very easily been winless too if not for a bit of luck. Not sure you can hypothesize one without the other.

Think; corporate partnerships, communications, media, membership, events, strategy, legal, wellbeing, etc.
Same source that guaranteed four wins in Hobart?

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back