Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The bloke has been part of the AFL system for about 40 years. He's won 4 flags.

Do people really think he lays off the players at his press conferences because he doesn't know you're allowed to give a different response?
Or that he's hung around Sonja too much without wearing a face mask and contracted a heavy dose of woke that he can't shake off?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I have the feeling the guy has a fair idea what he's doing in that space. The (so far) lack of mass exodus suggests he probably has the trust of his players, and that's likely a huge part of building a group up from almost scratch.

I reckon we've got much more to worry about than how the coach responds to reporters after a shithouse game.

I also want to hear less “At Hawthorn…” but other than that, Is ranting and raving through the press conference better?

When does turning up the temperature in a press conference help?

Just because you were successful at hawks Clarko doesn't mean its gonna happen again.

He needs to shut up about it

Just because you were successful at hawks Clarko doesn't mean its gonna happen again.

He needs to shut up about it
I reckon our lazy ****ing team with their lazy ****ing leadership has bought into this so hard, they’re all kind just waiting for it to happen, without making it happen.

What’s a pass mark?

As in is everyone willing to get even worse next year? Or if we get 5 wins instead of 3

Tbh like David King said if he can’t get the players to be consistently competitive then idk who can

What’s a pass mark?

As in is everyone willing to get even worse next year? Or if we get 5 wins instead of 3

Tbh like David King said if he can’t get the players to be consistently competitive then idk who can
Anything less than eight wins is a fail.

6-7 wins, percentage of 80, finishing year extremely well as in 3 wins, close losses in last 6-7 rounds- competitive in all of those final games.
In all likelihood, that'd make it our sixth consecutive year in the bottom 3.

I don't man, I struggle to think of that as a pass.

I'm gonna go with:
  • 85%+
  • at least 8 wins
  • playing a consistent brand of defensive and offensive footy that's demonstratively better than the bottom rung of teams
  • at least 25 players performing at a high enough standard they wouldn't be out of place at a team in the finals

I'm gonna go with:
  • 85%+
  • at least 8 wins
  • playing a consistent brand of defensive and offensive footy that's demonstratively better than the bottom rung of teams
  • at least 25 players performing at a high enough standard they wouldn't be out of place at a team in the finals
Those are outcomes rather than systemic change.

Get the basics right and they look after themselves.

Gotta get better at list management to begin with, given the equalisation program has effectively been watered down to positional drafting compromised through academy point stacking its even more crucial to get our list right.

Then there is development, some signs are there with players crediting input from barlow.

Managing the transition is also a challenge, we need blokes coming through demanding spots by kicking the door down but there is simply so little depth this doesnt occur, see point 1.

Wash rince repeat.

The "nothing to play for" line was what really annoyed me. I understand where he's coming from, but it undervalues the significance of the humble members. Barracking for North has been an absolutely disheartening and dispiriting experience for 5 years now, so to hear the players couldn't be bothered giving effort just rubs salt into a gaping wound
Yes, I was actually waiting for his presser, thinking he'll mention something about how we disgraced the jumper today and now will have to live with it all preseason before we get a chance to attone for it, or something alone those lines...
Instead of hearing the usual "the opposition is 2+ years in front of us..."

Maybe I'm wrong, but I have the feeling the guy has a fair idea what he's doing in that space. The (so far) lack of mass exodus suggests he probably has the trust of his players, and that's likely a huge part of building a group up from almost scratch.

I reckon we've got much more to worry about than how the coach responds to reporters after a shithouse game.
This board is bipolar at the moment and I have to put it down to frustration of where we are at and no one really having any insight into what things are like behind closed doors at Arden St.

A week ago Clarko was being talked about on here as being some Napoleonic figure and now he's being talked about as some too soft and woke teddy bear.

This board is bipolar at the moment and I have to put it down to frustration of where we are at and no one really having any insight into what things are like behind closed doors at Arden St.

A week ago Clarko was being talked about on here as being some Napoleonic figure and now he's being talked about as some too soft and woke teddy bear.
19037-8.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think it’s alright.

Last few years were hectic AF.

But now, everyone is tired of it. And unlike the past, we know what the issue is.
Seniors sucking, shit leadership, and the club encouraging them and their behaviour - while choosing not to develop younger guys instead of backing these shit campaigners this year.

I actually think it’s alright.
we have Schrodinger's culture at the club, its awesome and f***ed all at once because people don't really know what it is like. We fixed the leaks. My guesstimation is the most common word the players say about the culture is stability.

Last few years were hectic AF.
Indeed it has. so much change is such short timing. The sheer amount of upheaval is massive. It really should be a surprise how many players have not fulfilled what they could have been.

But now, everyone is tired of it. And unlike the past, we know what the issue is.
Tired is an understatement. f***ing exhausted is probably closer to the mark. There is little to no joy in football and often attending or even just watching is a chore. It is mentally and emotionally draining to be invested in the dumpster fire that we have been.

I think we have for some time known the issues. I don't think we have had the aforementioned stability to really address them.
Seniors sucking, shit leadership, and the club encouraging them and their behaviour - while choosing not to develop younger guys instead of backing these shit campaigners this year.

I think we focussed far too heavily on trying to push players into places they weren't familiar with early on in order to push their development. We did this as precedence over going all out for wins.

Then when we switched gears we couldn't get the job done because we found another issue that requires addressing the composure when leading.

we have Schrodinger's culture at the club, its awesome and f***ed all at once because people don't really know what it is like. We fixed the leaks. My guesstimation is the most common word the players say about the culture is stability.

Indeed it has. so much change is such short timing. The sheer amount of upheaval is massive. It really should be a surprise how many players have not fulfilled what they could have been.

Tired is an understatement. f***ing exhausted is probably closer to the mark. There is little to no joy in football and often attending or even just watching is a chore. It is mentally and emotionally draining to be invested in the dumpster fire that we have been.

I think we have for some time known the issues. I don't think we have had the aforementioned stability to really address them.

I think we focussed far too heavily on trying to push players into places they weren't familiar with early on in order to push their development. We did this as precedence over going all out for wins.

Then when we switched gears we couldn't get the job done because we found another issue that requires addressing the composure when leading.
100% last few years it was very hopeful, anxious and all these other emotions. Now it’s exhausting.

And your last paragraph rings scarily true. But as supporters, also frustratingly true. We watched those games fall apart, and all that was needed was composure from leaders across all lines dragging their groups together and telling them what’s what, and addressing the next contest with tenacity and some level of discipline.

What did we get?

****ing bananas.

We started developing a new-new wave of ‘shit your pants when the going gets tough’.

And we all know who that’s due to, I don’t need to list them.

**** it, I’ll do it anyway because I’m sick of these smug campaigners. Jy, Luke, Larkey and Zuurhar. Corr too considering how much of role he has down there and the importance of sticking through these ‘tough times, like at the giants.’

Now, I think we actually don’t give a shit. If the club wants to go down a certain path, fine do it. Want to (hypothetical) trade pick 2 away? Fine.
Do whatever you want, you’ve been doing it that way for so long. You decided on two co-captains who enjoyed the idea of being captains, rather than actually wanting to be captains (like Sheezel has shown ten times more in his bee’s dick of a career).

They continue to take us on some kind of ride. It’s not even aggression, sadness, or whatever, it’s like you said, exhausted. 124 point loss to end the year, after the way they carried on after winning the final game last year.

Come on.

Those are outcomes rather than systemic change.

Get the basics right and they look after themselves.
Aside from maybe list management, I dunno how anyone outside the four walls can assess our club's performance aside from looking at outcomes. Anything else is speculation. eg. We don't know what the developmental markers for players are, and we don't know how far off the team is from executing Clarko's game plan.

Aside from maybe list management, I dunno how anyone outside the four walls can assess our club's performance aside from looking at outcomes. Anything else is speculation. eg. We don't know what the developmental markers for players are, and we don't know how far off the team is from executing Clarko's game plan.
Ok, but we could compare ourselves to other clubs.

Essendon and St Kilda both beat us, and won more games than us. Better outcomes.

Are either of these sides on the right track though? That is, do they have good processes?

The bloke has been part of the AFL system for about 40 years. He's won 4 flags.

Do people really think he lays off the players at his press conferences because he doesn't know you're allowed to give a different response?
Or that he's hung around Sonja too much without wearing a face mask and contracted a heavy dose of woke that he can't shake off?

If we had any sort of real and meaningful improvement then it would make no difference.

However when we are stagnant in the bottom 2, a further 8 wins away from even getting out of the bottom 4 and are the worst performed team over 5 year period in the modern era then everything the coach says (and doesn't say) is important.

The narrative that 'its all too hard - we can't be expected to compete with all these good teams' permeates through the club - and it all starts with Clarko and it needs to stop. He comes across as going through the motions and basically disinterested in talking about anything North Melbourne related - we know we are in a hole but what is he doing about it?

Quite frankly I am not interested in what he did 40 years ago or what he did 4 years ago - I want him to articulate and execute on a strategy that will lead to improvement in our position - we have seen none of that in the 2 years he has been with us and the last 3 weeks of our season has exposed a weak underbelly that appears terminal with the vast bulk of this playing group.

I'm gonna go with:
  • 85%+
  • at least 8 wins
Yeh there's process driven and there's disconnection from reality.

E.g.- I'm not going on a diet I just want better habits.

6 months later.

I'm now watching my portions and exercising regularly.

I also now need a small crane to get me out of bed.

100% last few years it was very hopeful, anxious and all these other emotions. Now it’s exhausting.
Going to the football is now more duty than joy. Our best football came in games we lost. Joy comes in the form of seconds of brilliance followed typically by capitulation.

And your last paragraph rings scarily true. But as supporters, also frustratingly true. We watched those games fall apart, and all that was needed was composure from leaders across all lines dragging their groups together and telling them what’s what, and addressing the next contest with tenacity and some level of discipline.

What did we get?

I got angry. I inadvertently broke a chair back in docklands by hitting it at the end of the pies game.

In fact this ending to the season has basically been the emotions I have shown post game. Anger, followed by sadness, followed but some sort of circumspect acceptance that there is nothing that I can do as a supporter than watch this shit show roll on year on year.

****ing bananas.

We started developing a new-new wave of ‘shit your pants when the going gets tough’.
The scariest thing all year was the ending to the West Coast game and Harry punching the ball infield resulting in a goal. It is scary because the hope of the side couldn't be infected with the shit the bed disease could he? tell me it was an aberration.

**** it, I’ll do it anyway because I’m sick of these smug campaigners. Jy, Luke, Larkey and Zuurhar. Corr too considering how much of role he has down there and the importance of sticking through these ‘tough times, like at the giants.’

Now, I think we actually don’t give a shit. If the club wants to go down a certain path, fine do it. Want to (hypothetical) trade pick 2 away? Fine.
Do whatever you want, you’ve been doing it that way for so long. You decided on two co-captains who enjoyed the idea of being captains, rather than actually wanting to be captains (like Sheezel has shown ten times more in his bee’s dick of a career).

It is a conumdrum, we need senior players because the ones we have panic and seem to be very focussed on their own game rather than just hitting the basics every time.

They continue to take us on some kind of ride. It’s not even aggression, sadness, or whatever, it’s like you said, exhausted. 124 point loss to end the year, after the way they carried on after winning the final game last year.

Come on.

Agree. It is disheartening to hear things like the spirit fell out of us because there was nothing to play for, when 12 months ago a loss may have been more beneficial and we didn't want to have a losing culture.

I don't think Reid is a panacea to anything and we have a large amount of young talent but the variability in the story is Trumpesque in that don't treat us like goldfish who don't hang out waiting to hear something, anything that explains why we are where we are.

2025 needs to be a year with no sacred cows. We need new leadership. We need senior players to stand up or get f***ed off to the VFL regardless of seniority or contract length.

No more selections for learning. No more drafting a player then playing them out of position. Select the best team on merit with the intent to win.

Agree and conversely none of us have any input into changing said systems so its all just an observation anyhow.

Going to the football is now more duty than joy. Our best football came in games we lost. Joy comes in the form of seconds of brilliance followed typically by capitulation.

I got angry. I inadvertently broke a chair back in docklands by hitting it at the end of the pies game.

In fact this ending to the season has basically been the emotions I have shown post game. Anger, followed by sadness, followed but some sort of circumspect acceptance that there is nothing that I can do as a supporter than watch this shit show roll on year on year.

The scariest thing all year was the ending to the West Coast game and Harry punching the ball infield resulting in a goal. It is scary because the hope of the side couldn't be infected with the shit the bed disease could he? tell me it was an aberration.

It is a conumdrum, we need senior players because the ones we have panic and seem to be very focussed on their own game rather than just hitting the basics every time.

Agree. It is disheartening to hear things like the spirit fell out of us because there was nothing to play for, when 12 months ago a loss may have been more beneficial and we didn't want to have a losing culture.

I don't think Reid is a panacea to anything and we have a large amount of young talent but the variability in the story is Trumpesque in that don't treat us like goldfish who don't hang out waiting to hear something, anything that explains why we are where we are.

2025 needs to be a year with no sacred cows. We need new leadership. We need senior players to stand up or get f***ed off to the VFL regardless of seniority or contract length.

No more selections for learning. No more drafting a player then playing them out of position. Select the best team on merit with the intent to win.
Iam less convinced harley over kerch will make any long term difference.

If we missed out on sheezel on the other hand...

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back