Albert Collier- A God Amongst Men

Remove this Banner Ad

Each week I thought I would look at one of the great Collingwood Champions of the past and share it. Great to keep in touch with the history of our great club. Today I will start with Albert 'Leeta' Collier

Albert Collier would be the greatest Centre Half Back ever. Jack Dyer who as we know was an avid Collingwood hater said that Collier was the toughest and most ruthless player to ever play the game. He also said that Collier was the most skilled player of his era. An era that included Reg Hickey, Gordon Coventry, Harry Collier, Syd Coventry, Hayden Bunton and Bob Pratt. The following is a quote from Jack Dyer.
'Albert Collier was one hell of a player and one hell of a man. The toughest footballer to walk the face of this earth. Albert was a GOD, a God amongst men, the most outstanding young player the game has ever seen. He won a brownlow as a teenager and mastered every facet of the game. A beautiful high mark, a thumping kick and a fine mover around the field. He was a thumping backman, a fierce competitor , a colossus as a team player and the first protector to stalk the field. I repected him more then any other player in history. Once he praised me, and that was the ultimate in my football career. I will cherish that for ever' Jack Dyer

Collier was a Brownlow medalist and played in an amazing 6 Premierships. He was part of the greatest team ever assembled that won four flags in a row and his teammates and coach the great Jock McHale all said he was the best player in that team. Simply the greatest Centre Half Back to have ever played the game.

Each week I thought I would look at one of the great Collingwood Champions of the past and share it. Great to keep in touch with the history of our great club. Today I will start with Albert 'Leeta' Collier

Albert Collier would be the greatest Centre Half Back ever. Jack Dyer who as we know was an avid Collingwood hater said that Collier was the toughest and most ruthless player to ever play the game. He also said that Collier was the most skilled player of his era. An era that included Reg Hickey, Gordon Coventry, Harry Collier, Syd Coventry, Hayden Bunton and Bob Pratt. The following is a quote from Jack Dyer.
'Albert Collier was one hell of a player and one hell of a man. The toughest footballer to walk the face of this earth. Albert was a GOD, a God amongst men, the most outstanding young player the game has ever seen. He won a brownlow as a teenager and mastered every facet of the game. A beautiful high mark, a thumping kick and a fine mover around the field. He was a thumping backman, a fierce competitor , a colossus as a team player and the first protector to stalk the field. I repected him more then any other player in history. Once he praised me, and that was the ultimate in my football career. I will cherish that for ever' Jack Dyer

Collier was a Brownlow medalist and played in an amazing 6 Premierships. He was part of the greatest team ever assembled that won four flags in a row and his teammates and coach the great Jock McHale all said he was the best player in that team. Simply the greatest Centre Half Back to have ever played the game.

Thanks for putting this up. Good to learn some history. I recall someone saying that he was 5' 11', which makes him about the same height as Swanny.

So I'm assuming he was made CHB of the century :mad:

Dyer also said he was the only man he ever genuinely feared :thumbsu:

So I'm assuming he was made CHB of the century :mad:

Dyer also said he was the only man he ever genuinely feared :thumbsu:

Yeah another pie screwed over by the team of the centruy selector.

Great concept for some regular threads in the off season. I love this photo of him, he looks like a predator serching for prey:

leeter_collier.jpg

This is a great idea, and starts off with one of our all time greats.

His brother was almost as good, and they both lived in the Collingwood/Abbotsford area right up until their deaths. I remember meeting Harry in 1990 (Albert died a few years earlier) it was just before the finals and Harry said that we'd win it all that year, and we did.

They were both an integral part of "The Machine", the greatest Australian rules football team of all time.:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

any light on his Tasmanian sabbatical ?

one of our best players away in 1931-32 comes back wins b&f 34 and 35, was his absence a reason that we didnt when 5 in a row ? was it about money?

link for bio
http://australianfootball.com/players/player/albert+collier/4262

says he played in the ruck? 180cm?

Great point .... He went to Tassie for a coaching and playing position and I believe he won the best player in the comp the "Leitch Medal'. He needed more money in depression years. His team also won the flag in at least one of those years. There is no doubt the loss of Collier and the retirement of Syd Coventry impacted on further flags. Colliers return drove us to further back to back flags.

Dad saw Leeter play regularly and always used to say his skill was often overshadowed by his toughness and fierce protection of his fellow Pies. That back six that played for that decade or so were known to be the toughest UNIT of their time, and I would guess most other times. In those days at Collingwood the club was a stepping stone out of 'the flat' as they used to call Collingwood.

Often I see criticism of Collingwood fans on these boards for overrating our players and I can see that point of view but I can remember the burning passion in dads eyes when he would take me to the footy - Collingwood supporters in his day mostly came from 'the flat' and nearby suburbs - all poor working men whose only entertainment was going to the footy after a backbreaking week in the boot factories who gathered together at Vic Park to watch their hero's take the fight to the toffs from Hawthorn and Melbourne and feel like they were landing a blow or two for the working class man, because in those days he was downtrodden and ill used.

This is no romantic tale penned by some social studies major but words straight from dad and his mates who worked in those factories and shared tales of Carringbush heroics every Saturday come rain hail or shine.

Should almost be a sub forum on the board.

considering the COLLINGWOOD FOREVER campaign coming up in 2014, a great way for the board to be involved.

a suggestion - keep the profiling to players pre-1970, as from that time onwards theres plenty of archive vision to show how they played, and we generally didnt get to see them, only read about them. jonbe54 excepted of course :p

considering the COLLINGWOOD FOREVER campaign coming up in 2014, a great way for the board to be involved.

a suggestion - keep the profiling to players pre-1970, as from that time onwards theres plenty of archive vision to show how they played, and we generally didnt get to see them, only read about them. jonbe54 excepted of course :p
Lol vj I did see a few and even have their autographs but despite the nostalgia of yesteryear and the heart and soul they showed when they put on the stripes today's player is a much more professional and complete athlete and they are just as valid heroes as those I watched.

Remove this Banner Ad

Albert Collier- A God Amongst Men

Remove this Banner Ad

Back