Past Albert Proud (2007-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Albert Proud

I know that a few do not like my opinion on Proud but to repeat it again I think he was a very lazy player last season. He was a very poor tackler, he frustrated me no end in that regards, he did not run back after possession was turned over and he was a very poor reader of the game.

I can only go on what me eyes see when I watched the few AFLQ games I went to last season but he has a hell of a lot of areas to improve this season before he becomes a regular player.

That being said I hope Proud kills em this year and am very very happy indeed to see that he has been getting wraps in pre-season training.

Peace.

I'm with you- I struggle to see what there is about this bloke that attracts so much blog attention. He showed some strong promise last season in a couple of games, and who knows, might go on to become a Byron Pickett-type.

However he really hasn't done much to warrant all the hype to this point. If he is going to make it, along with Harding, Hooper, Polkginhorne, and a few others then this needs to be the season

However he really hasn't done much to warrant all the hype to this point. If he is going to make it, along with Harding, Hooper, Polkginhorne, and a few others then this needs to be the season

Fair enough about these guys needing to step up, but they haven't been around the place as long as each other.

This will be Harding's 5th season (including rookie, and 3rd year as a senior player), Hooper's 4th, Proud's 3rd and Polkinghorne's 2nd.

Link

BRISBANE Lions midfielder Albert Proud has been charged with assault occasioning bodily harm after allegedly glassing a woman.

The young midfielder was charged by police after allegedly throwing a glass at a female patron at a Gold Coast bar last Saturday night. The woman was injured in the incident.

In a statement released moments ago, the club said it had suspended Proud and taken him out of the Indigenous All-Stars line-up until it had fully investigated the incident.

"(Proud) is providing full cooperation to the police and club investigation and deeply regrets being involved in this incident," the club said.

Official club statement.

Albert Proud Club statement

THE BRISBANE Lions AFC confirms that third-year player Albert Proud has been charged with assault occasioning bodily harm over an alleged glass throwing incident that resulted in an injury to a female patron at a Gold Coast bar last Saturday night.

The Lions are investigating the matter and the Club has notified the AFL of the incident in accordance with AFL Rules, and are keeping the AFL fully informed of all information as it becomes available.

The Lions take this matter extremely seriously and Proud has been suspended from the Lions as well as omitted from the AFL Indigenous All-Star squad pending completion of the Club's investigation.

The player is providing full cooperation to the police and Club investigation and deeply regrets being involved in this incident.

It is inappropriate for the Club to make any further comment or take any further action until the matter has been fully investigated.

That is shocking!What do you guys think in terms of his punishment?????????

Burn him!

You get the pitchforks, I'll get the torches!

...or we could wait to see the results of the investigation.

That is shocking!What do you guys think in terms of his punishment?????????

Like the last line in the club's statement, its probably appropriate not to speculate (at least publicly) until the matter has been investigated.

Burn him!

You get the pitchforks, I'll get the torches!

...or we could wait to see the results of the investigation.

Like the last line in the club's statement, its probably appropriate not to speculate (at least publicly) until the matter has been investigated.

Yep to both these posts. As disappointed as we all are lets just let nature take it course.

My other advice would be stay of the main board if you do not enjoy reading cretins making cretinous statements.

If it's true, Proud is an absolute f@#%head in my opinion. Here's hoping the investigation proves he is innocent.

Thankfully while the Lions and Vossy got prominent exposure on Ch 10 and Ch 7 news tonight, this story got almost no mention at all. To be fair, if Proud was a Broncos' player, it would be a leading story. We are very, very lucky Vossy and the Lions are getting a bit of leeway at the moment. I just hope it stays that way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get very frustrated when I hear incidences like these - even more so when it's one of your own. To put it lightly: you'd have to be a complete pinhead to think the violence that Proud used would solve anything regardless of the victim's gender. It just annoys me that players don't learn from other people's mistakes eg. Wayne Carey.

In saying all that, I'm not going to cast him out just yet. I don't recall him having any priors so I'd like to think this was a brain snap (a major one at that).

:mad:

Bloody hell, bugger and damn.

I take a few weeks off posting and what happens???.....Simon Black breaks his hand and then Proud is up on an assault charge:mad:

Can't turn my back for one minute.

Anyway, let's not burn Proud at the stake just yet.....let the law take it's course, eh?

Link

Brisbane Lion Albert Proud suspended after assault charge

Paul Malone
heraldsun

February 05, 2009 12:00am

ALBERT Proud's Brisbane career hangs in the balance after he was suspended over an alleged bottle-throwing incident, in which a woman's face was cut.

The club said in a statement yesterday that Proud "deeply regrets" his involvement in an incident at a Surfers Paradise bar last Saturday night over which he has been charged with assault occasioning bodily harm.

Police allege a bottle was thrown at the woman at about midnight on Saturday and she suffered cuts to her eye that were treated later in hospital.

The Lion was arrested soon after and he has been bailed to appear in Southport Magistrates' Court on February 20. The charge carries a maximum penalty of seven years' jail.

Proud, 20, a third-year player from Queensland who had had his best pre-season, has been suspended pending a club investigation, continuing an uneasy start to player discipline in Michael Voss's first season as coach.

Proud said last month that previous Lions coach Leigh Matthews might not have trusted his endurance and he was keen to prove his critics wrong by grabbing more time in the midfield this year.

Another young Queensland player, Rhan Hooper, 20, was fined $40,000 last month for failing to attend pre-season training.

Proud was also withdrawn from an AFL Indigenous All-Star squad that will play Adelaide in Darwin on Saturday night.

"The Lions take this matter extremely seriously and Proud has been suspended from the Lions pending completion of the club's investigation," the Lions said.

"The player is providing full co-operation to the police and club investigation and deeply regrets being involved in this incident."

Proud, the 2005 Queensland under-18 captain, has played nine games for the Lions in his two years since joining from Mt Gravatt, including seven in 2008.

Proud signed a one-year deal last September, with his manager Shane Casley saying he had ignored interest from Melbourne-based clubs because he wanted to be coached by Voss.

"I've proven with my results that I can go with the best runners now (in pre-season endurance runs). I'm fitter than I've ever been," Proud said last month.

Bummer!

The story got about 10 seconds on channel ten. Hoping for his sake the full story goes more along the lines of he threw a bottle at the ground and she was injured from that and not him throwing the bottle at her head.

Everyone reckon Vossy looked him in the eye or Leppa told him of the clubs decison?

Everyone reckon Vossy looked him in the eye or Leppa told him of the clubs decison?

No doubt that Voss would be the kind of man to talk to Proud, admit his own faults, out like the club's position/punishment, etc.

Maybe the fact Voss has had his own issues in the past could actually help him get through to Proud

No doubt that Voss would be the kind of man to talk to Proud, admit his own faults, out like the club's position/punishment, etc.

Maybe the fact Voss has had his own issues in the past could actually help him get through to Proud

Fair enough, this cant have helped Proud in the long term either, has battled to get a starting possie and this will certainly not help.

Man I bet he regretted doing it the moment the bottle left his hand. I wonder what the chick said or did that provoked that kind of response from Proud?

Man I bet he regretted doing it the moment the bottle left his hand.

He'll be filthy at himself no doubt. I reckon he would have been stoked at the chance to play for the All-Stars.

AFL is a violent and aggressive sport. Most of the time it stays on the field but on rare occasions it can spill out into the public. I don't condone it but it does happen no real reason to include anyone else but the player and the parties involved in the incident. I don't really blame you from latching onto any angle you can out of this situation either, god knows I'm the first person baying for the head of other club's players as soon as the minutest incident gets leaked to the media.

AFL is a violent and aggressive sport. Most of the time it stays on the field but on rare occasions it can spill out into the public.
Sorry, got to disagree with that statement. I rarely watch an AFL game and come away thinking it was violent and aggressive. As for on-field aggression being translated off field I believe that's a sweeping generalisation too. Take Charmo as an example, he's aggressive on field and but you could not find a more relaxed and jovial player away from the game. It depends on the individual player and the fact that such an incident like this is a rarity, I would have to say it has more to do with Proud and less to do with the sport he plays, IMHO.

Bummer!

The story got about 10 seconds on channel ten. Hoping for his sake the full story goes more along the lines of he threw a bottle at the ground and she was injured from that and not him throwing the bottle at her head.

I dont think that the second sceario is any differnet from the first. If the fact that he threw the bottle is correct, then he must(should) have known that his actions could cause harm to someone.

The report that the girl had injuries to her face does not sound good, I guess we will all know more after 20 Feb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past Albert Proud (2007-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back