Past Albert Proud (2007-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Albert Proud

AFL is a violent and aggressive sport.

I have to disagree as well, the game is about controlled aggression directed at an inanimate object. This is demonstrated by the way that infractions are now punished. Even nowadays the new laws in local footy* are showing that Football in general is not willing to put up with thugs on the ground.

*In the VCFL they have introduced a law that says a player that reaches 16 weeks suspension in their career is de-registered.

I dont think that the second sceario is any differnet from the first. If the fact that he threw the bottle is correct, then he must(should) have known that his actions could cause harm to someone.

The report that the girl had injuries to her face does not sound good, I guess we will all know more after 20 Feb.

There are 3 levels of assaults you can be charged with under the Criminal Code.

1. Common Assault is a physical assault which leaves no temporary or permanent inury.

2. Assault Occasioning Bodily harm (which Albert has been charged with) is a physical assault which leaves a temporary injury which will heal of its own accord.

3. Grevious Bodily Harm is a physical assault which causes permanent or near permanent injury not capable of healing on its own or without surgical intervention.

1 & 2 are less serious & can be dealt with in the Minor courts as a general rule. With no previous history (quite apart from the Football ramifications) Albie will be looking at a small fine from the Courts.

Silly thing to do on the eve of the new season, but i think the above puts it in some perspective.

There are 3 levels of assaults you can be charged with under the Criminal Code.

1. Common Assault is a physical assault which leaves no temporary or permanent inury.

2. Assault Occasioning Bodily harm (which Albert has been charged with) is a physical assault which leaves a temporary injury which will heal of its own accord.

3. Grevious Bodily Harm is a physical assault which causes permanent or near permanent injury not capable of healing on its own or without surgical intervention.

1 & 2 are less serious & can be dealt with in the Minor courts as a general rule. With no previous history (quite apart from the Football ramifications) Albie will be looking at a small fine from the Courts.

Silly thing to do on the eve of the new season, but i think the above puts it in some perspective.

King of Torts thank you for the comments from a legal perspective, it certainly has helped my understanding of where he will sit legally.

YEAH YEAH WHATEVER!!! WAIT TILL THE INVESTIGATION IS OVER MATE!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Rhonda

I'm sure you'll find that everyone hopes that there is a good explanation for what happened, and that the incident proves a reasonably minor one.

You might not be able to comment on Albert's version, but no Lions supporter will be cheering against him.

HE DIDNT GLASS HER - ONCE AGAIN GET UR FACTS RIGHT BUDDY!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Rhonda, the opinions that have been formed by many Lions fans at the moment are based purely on the information that is been fed to us through the media and the Brisbane Lions Football Club. No one is calling for his execution just yet. Like Judge said, we are hoping that there is some explanation to the whole saga that will paint the incident in a different light. I don't if/how you're related to Albert, but I can assure you he has our support and I, for one, hope he is retained on our list no matter what the investigation finds. As I mentioned in a previous post on this board, there have been no prior incidences against Proud's name so I am hopeful that the alleged incident was a brain snap.

That is shocking!What do you guys think in terms of his punishment?????????

Burn him!

You get the pitchforks, I'll get the torches!

...or we could wait to see the results of the investigation.

YEAH YEAH WHATEVER!!! WAIT TILL THE INVESTIGATION IS OVER MATE!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Rhonda, my apologies if my sarcasm was not obvious. I was, in fact, suggesting much the same thing as you are - to wait for all the facts to be revealed before passing judgement.

As several people on here have already mentioned, we (Lions fans) all hope that this is a misunderstanding.

...and Rhonda, as much as I'm sure you want to defend him, can I humbly suggest that you're not doing Albie or yourself any favours by reading / replying to these threads?

As several people on here have already mentioned, we (Lions fans) all hope that this is a misunderstanding.

Exactly, everyone here had high hopes for Albert's 2009 season, and every single person here would love for it to be a misunderstanding.

That is why pretty much everyone is urging caution or prefacing their remarks with "if the allegations are correct...".

While I would love for the allegations to be false, I dunno, if he gets found guilty a small fine seems pretty light on for throwing a beer bottle at a person. I would hope a stint in gaol would be considered for act like that.

Still, I hope he is innocent.

While I would love for the allegations to be false, I dunno, if he gets found guilty a small fine seems pretty light on for throwing a beer bottle at a person. I would hope a stint in gaol would be considered for act like that.

Depends if you see incarceration as a punishment or a form of rehab.

I'd rather our prisons reserved for people who are a proven continual threat to society. I don't think a spur of the moment brain-snap should be immediate grounds for a prison term (unless it happens again), especially as a form of rehabilitation. Albert's well documented history would show that he has had a fairly uneasy upbringing and is prone to emotional overreactions, but he isn't a sociopath. His involvement in the brawl in the u18 championships was a reaction to someone racially taunting Hooper. His heart is in the right place... he needs anger management, not to be locked in a cell with armed robbers and sex offenders.

Regardless, IMO its grossly premature to be demanding imprisonment if he "gets found guilty" when we simply don't know what exactly happened.

Depends if you see incarceration as a punishment or a form of rehab.

I'd rather our prisons reserved for people who are a proven continual threat to society. I don't think a spur of the moment brain-snap should be immediate grounds for a prison term (unless it happens again), especially as a form of rehabilitation. Albert's well documented history would show that he has had a fairly uneasy upbringing and is prone to emotional overreactions, but he isn't a sociopath. His involvement in the brawl in the u18 championships was a reaction to someone racially taunting Hooper. His heart is in the right place... he needs anger management, not to be locked in a cell with armed robbers and sex offenders.

Regardless, IMO its grossly premature to be demanding imprisonment if he "gets found guilty" when we simply don't know what exactly happened.

This is the view a Court will take. In addition we dont know the full story so calling for a jail sentence is a bit premature and quite excessive for this type of offence.

Indeed it may be that Albert was provoked, that is a valid defence. Providing his reaction was not disproportionate to the provoking conduct & his passion did not have time to cool (ie there was not a long lapsing of time between the provoking conduct & his reaction).

We just dont know the full story. People dont get a custodial sentence for this type of offence unless they have previous history of a like nature.

The punishment he is likely to recieve from the BBFFC will be far greater than what a court is likely to impose IMHO.

Im sure Albert will be a gun this year :)
Every Lions supporter on this forum is also hoping Albert will be a gun. Not just this year but for the next 10 or so years with the Lions. No one wants to see good kids blow their careers away by a single stupid impulsive act. It's when those same stupid acts are repeated supporters say enough is enough. At this stage Albert is young and hopefully intelligent enough to learn from this and become a better person and footballer.

We are all whistling in the dark, but I doubt if it is a hanging offence. I would agree with the statement that any penalty from the courts will probably be less than what the Lions impose.

That being said, Michael Voss and the Brisbane Football Club understand the difficulties some young men face. Draftees are only youths when they arrive, and are trying to grow into adulthood whilst placed under the extreme pressure of trying to succeed as a professional sportsman. The club, and all associated with it will do all they can to help. Always, the well being of the individual player is more important than anything else. The support given Rhan Hooper is proof of this.

To Rhonda, heartfelt condolences on your family's loss. Thank you for telling us so we get a better understanding of the whole story. I am sure all correspondents to this site will agree that if there is anything any of us can do to help, just ask. In a way, Albert, and you, are a part of our family too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Albert was going through alot last year, trying to make his mum proud as she was dying from Cancer - can u imagine trying to do ur best and focus on the game as well?

I hope Albert is a gun as well Rhonda. I guess I can only say that that post is from my own perspective when watching footy from over the boundary line and not knowing any other circumstances that may have an effect on Albert's life. Rhonda I have a great deal of understanding as to the tough time families go through when loved ones suffer. My father died from an industrial disease that was devastating to my family. I have much empathy and sympathy for you all during these difficult times.

Albert is a young man with a lot of talent. With hard work and focus on his goals good things will happen.

I hope that he and all of you, his family, stick together and pull through. I wish you all the best in the world.

Link

Lions warned not to be distracted by Albert Proud's suspension
By Paul Malone
February 07, 2009 12:01am

BRISBANE Lions skipper Jonathan Brown says his players must not let the disciplinary fate of teammate Albert Proud distract them.

Proud, 20, was suspended by the club after being charged this week with assault occasioning bodily harm, with police alleging a bottle had been thrown in a Gold Coast bar and a woman had suffered facial cuts.

Lions president Tony Kelly said the club had no time frame to complete an internal investigation.

"There was a distraction with Albie's situation, but the club has to deal with that and the players have to move forward," said Brown, who is entering his first as sole captain.

It is likely the Lions will not announce a conclusion to their findings before Proud's appearance at Southport Magistrate's Court on February 20.

"You want an investigation to be speedy, but we won't make a decision until we get a clearer set of facts,"Kelly said.

proud2zv0.jpg

Link

PROUD IN LIMBO
Brisbane Lions youngster Albert Proud is facing an anxious time after he was suspended by the club following an alleged glass-throwing incident at the Gold Coast last Saturday night. According to a club statement, Proud has been charged with assault occasioning bodily harm and is co-operating with police. The statement says 20-year-old Proud "deeply regrets" his involvement in an incident at a Surfers Paradise bar which has come as he was set to embark on a make-or-break fourth season in the AFL. The 2005 Queensland U18 captain, who has managed just nine games in three years, had been one of the stars on the track during the pre-season and was on track to cement a place in the Lions midfield under new coach Michael Voss.

Police allege a bottle was thrown at the woman at about midnight on Saturday and she suffered cuts to her eye that were treated later in hospital. Proud was arrested soon after and he has been bailed to appear in Southport Magistrates' Court on 20 February. The charge carries a maximum penalty of seven years' jail. Proud has been suspended pending a club investigation.

proudthewestcomaudd7.jpg

Agreed. He's a very talented young footballer. :thumbsu:

In fact, I think you'll find that the level of emotion in the reactions here is a direct result of the extreme excitement people have for Albert's potential in 2009. Obviously this emotion is absolutely insignificant in comparison to what Albert, yourself and your family have gone through in the past year or so, but this side of things is rarely reported publicly so most people unfortunately aren't in a position to understand.

The wise move here is to just wait it out until the investigation has taken place and more 'hard facts' have been uncovered about the incident.. Then no out of line statements are made of Albies behaviour or future...

Guys i think the sand-bagging going on by other teams against Albie is enough to take anyway.. Lets not jump the gun on our own board

Albert was going through alot last year, trying to make his mum proud as she was dying from Cancer - can u imagine trying to do ur best and focus on the game as well?

i Agree with the other posters here Rhonda. No one means any disrespect towards proud, we all love our lions. its only because we can see so much potential and this year was to be his year that we are so so disappointed in whats happened.

we all hope when the smoke clears, Albie can get on with his footy and put all this behind him. He is only young and still has his whole life ahead of him. He will always be welcomed into the lions den :thumbsu:

Young footballers don't come packaged the same. I believe you only sack a player if it is believed they are beyond rehabilitation. Proud has trained the house down this summer, this is his first offence with the club and we are all guessing about the severity of the incident. The headlines and wording allow us all to think the worst case scenario. I am hoping the offence is on the minor scale. I have been on the Proud bandwagon since i saw him play in his first year of the under 18 championships, he was absolutely special during that carnival. I can only hope we will all get a chance to see that level of performance in the AFL.

I believe you only sack a player if it is believed they are beyond rehabilitation.

I agree with the rest of your post but not this bit. Players can make very serious first time mistakes and instantly regret their actions. But the nature of their act may be such that the law and the club both need to take more punitive action. The fact that the person can be rehabilitated is only a very small part of the decision making process. I could think of hundreds of situations where a player's actions could warrant instant dismissal, regardless of whether he was sorry for his actions or wanted to make amends.

If Albie went to jail for his actions (God forbid and I do not believe that jail is a realistic outcome in this case), then the club would have no choice but to sack him. As I said though, I agree with the rest of your post in terms of guessing about the severity of the incident.

If the alligations made are correct and proud pleads guilty do you think he will be terminated? Must be hard for vossy after the assult case against him a couple years ago.

I think he is a young bloke and has made a mistake and hopefully will be able to repay his mistake by having a good season and concentrating on football and not gold coast night clubs.

Might be a good lesson for Proud to learn ealry in his carrer. In terms of Punishment i would think $5000 fine no matter if guilty or not as he has bought the lions into disrupt and if found guilty a 1 month suspension from games. I don't think suspending him from the club helps the club as he is a footy player and needs to be training and doing the work.

MS86.

If the alligations made are correct and proud pleads guilty do you think he will be terminated? Must be hard for vossy after the assult case against him a couple years ago.

I think he is a young bloke and has made a mistake and hopefully will be able to repay his mistake by having a good season and concentrating on football and not gold coast night clubs.

Might be a good lesson for Proud to learn ealry in his carrer. In terms of Punishment i would think $5000 fine no matter if guilty or not as he has bought the lions into disrupt and if found guilty a 1 month suspension from games. I don't think suspending him from the club helps the club as he is a footy player and needs to be training and doing the work.

MS86.

We don't even know the full circumstances of the incident so it is very difficult to predict what the club should or should not do.

excuse me!!!

I just came onto this site to see what people have been saying and of course I am going to defend him - any sibling would dont u think?:mad:

Rhonda, we're talking about people who do not know the full circumstances behind the incident, me included. I, personally, would find it a waste of time defending my sibling against people who are only making assessments based on what information they have been fed and that information is likely to have been twisted by the media. If I overheard someone bad-mouthing my sibling at work or in public, I would then defend them vigorously but I wouldn't intentionally go out to find people who are gossiping about them because there is no value in doing so. That's my opinion.

Rhonda Glass or Bottle.... Accident or not? Alberts actions were silly and he has put himself in this position. Lets hope he realises he is a league footballer and will always be in the public eye.

Ofcourse you are going to defend him as you know him and this was obviously out of character but the fact you say it was an accident dosn't change the fact that his actions caused physical harm to another person and needs to be investigated.

Will be a long 11 days for Albert.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past Albert Proud (2007-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back