Alberton Footy League - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

From all reports, not all is well at the Yarram Football Club.

With 24 senior players being cleared and only 4 new players on board, numbers are looking decidedly thin. The reserves have not even looked like winning a game and only ran out with 13 senior age players for the local derby (admittedly over easter holidays / anzac day weekend). Players are being enticed to the Allies and Woodside Wildcats with the lure of cash. It is reported that even reserves are pocketing money just for playing at Woodside.

The 4ths (U15s) have recently forfeited to Stony Creek due to lack of numbers. This is in part due to the Yallies U12 and U14 combination that play in the Sale League. Unfortunately the Yallies played at the same time and would not clear any players back to Yarram. The maximum number of players that can be cleared is 6. The 4ths then often have to ask the opposition for more players so that a fair game can be played.

It is true that the North Gippsland league does not have U15s, so it would seem a better fit to move to a league that involves a lot less travel and would allow the juniors to develop in the U12 and U14 competitions, separate to the main club.

But there's a catch, to enter the North Gippsland league, you need to have 5 netball teams. Yarram doesn't even have a C grade at the moment. The A and B grade teams have a large proportion of U17s playing up after their first game for the day. Under the current scenario, entry to the North Gippsland league would be denied.

It seems that Yarram is the child that is paying the most for the divorce between the Allies and Woodside Wildcats.

It would seem that 3 teams are unsustainable in the long term for the Yarram area.

The only question left is, who will fall first?

With 24 senior players being cleared and only 4 new players on board, numbers are looking decidedly thin. The reserves have not even looked like winning a game and only ran out with 13 senior age players for the local derby (admittedly over easter holidays / anzac day weekend). Players are being enticed to the Allies and Woodside Wildcats with the lure of cash. It is reported that even reserves are pocketing money just for playing at Woodside.

The 4ths (U15s) have recently forfeited to Stony Creek due to lack of numbers. This is in part due to the Yallies U12 and U14 combination that play in the Sale League. Unfortunately the Yallies played at the same time and would not clear any players back to Yarram. The maximum number of players that can be cleared is 6. The 4ths then often have to ask the opposition for more players so that a fair game can be played.

It is true that the North Gippsland league does not have U15s, so it would seem a better fit to move to a league that involves a lot less travel and would allow the juniors to develop in the U12 and U14 competitions, separate to the main club.

But there's a catch, to enter the North Gippsland league, you need to have 5 netball teams. Yarram doesn't even have a C grade at the moment. The A and B grade teams have a large proportion of U17s playing up after their first game for the day. Under the current scenario, entry to the North Gippsland league would be denied.

It seems that Yarram is the child that is paying the most for the divorce between the Allies and Woodside Wildcats.

It would seem that 3 teams are unsustainable in the long term for the Yarram area.

Gee if there playing seconds players to play at Woodside that is a real shame as they haven't won a game for two or three years.

Thanks for the insight mate, however all is fine at the Yarram Football Club.

Your first statement about "24 senior players being cleared" is 100% incorrect. The club has lost 4 senior players from last season and picked up 4 new senior recruits. The rest of players being cleared are low class twos and young juniors who have came out of thirds in 2010 and cant get a game in the senior side.
Yes your insight is correct in terms of players going to woodside and allies for cash, however these are players who cant get a game in the Yarram senior side, and want to play senior footy. Allies most noticeably have thrown around coin to these types to field a side.

The reason for the forfeit for the under 15's on the weekend is entirely due to the Yallies under 12 and under 14 sides and not partly due as you stated. So your wrong again!! This has stuffed junior footy in the town as there is higher demand than supply.

Yarram is not related to the Woodside and Devon de-merger and has been the proudest stand alone club in the Alberton Football League for the longest of the current clubs in operation. To state that they are suffering the most from this is ridiculous. Allies are the most struggling out of the scenario followed closely by Woodisde who although have won a few games this season have struggled largely in the last few. Do people forget Yarram played in the 06,07,08 grand finals and were very close in 09. Like a lot of clubs the younger thirds kids from last year (who lost to Korumburra in the granny) are playing seniors this year and are going to be fine footballers. They are surrounded by some very talented senior players.

The clubs down the far end of the league should consider they had no where to go and the Alberton League threw them a lifeline in the early to mid 2000's. They constantly complain about the long trips, however when mentioned to others who know nothing about the Alberton League these people say "gee that must be great having such a large comp and getting to play against so many different clubs"

Yarram has been a standalone (no mergers) club since 1887 and celebrates there 125th year in operation next season. Stop having a cheap jab at the club and respect every footy club for what they want to do and where they want to play, for Yarram I think it is fair after all these years to be a big decider on there future in the Alberton League.

Your first statement about "24 senior players being cleared" is 100% incorrect. The club has lost 4 senior players from last season and picked up 4 new senior recruits. The rest of players being cleared are low class twos and young juniors who have came out of thirds in 2010 and cant get a game in the senior side.
Yes your insight is correct in terms of players going to woodside and allies for cash, however these are players who cant get a game in the Yarram senior side, and want to play senior footy. Allies most noticeably have thrown around coin to these types to field a side.

The reason for the forfeit for the under 15's on the weekend is entirely due to the Yallies under 12 and under 14 sides and not partly due as you stated. So your wrong again!! This has stuffed junior footy in the town as there is higher demand than supply.

Yarram is not related to the Woodside and Devon de-merger and has been the proudest stand alone club in the Alberton Football League for the longest of the current clubs in operation. To state that they are suffering the most from this is ridiculous. Allies are the most struggling out of the scenario followed closely by Woodisde who although have won a few games this season have struggled largely in the last few. Do people forget Yarram played in the 06,07,08 grand finals and were very close in 09. Like a lot of clubs the younger thirds kids from last year (who lost to Korumburra in the granny) are playing seniors this year and are going to be fine footballers. They are surrounded by some very talented senior players.

The clubs down the far end of the league should consider they had no where to go and the Alberton League threw them a lifeline in the early to mid 2000's. They constantly complain about the long trips, however when mentioned to others who know nothing about the Alberton League these people say "gee that must be great having such a large comp and getting to play against so many different clubs"

Yarram has been a standalone (no mergers) club since 1887 and celebrates there 125th year in operation next season. Stop having a cheap jab at the club and respect every footy club for what they want to do and where they want to play, for Yarram I think it is fair after all these years to be a big decider on there future in the Alberton League.

Harry, you make some very good points in regards to the Yarram Football club and the state of play in the local league. When I mentioned "24 senior players being cleared", I meant 24 senior age players being cleared. I know not all of them are of senior footballer quality, but the results in the reserves, including a loss to the Allies, reflect a club low on depth.

I acknowledge that the forfeit is entirely due to the Yallies setup for u12s and u14s. The question is, what can be done about it to get the Yarram 4ths on the paddock for the remainder of the year?

I also wonder what is being done to attract netballers to the club? I know it's hard when you lose a whole side from the prior season. My only hope is that the club can encourage some more girls to come along and have a go.

It's great to have a senior side that's competitive week in, week out. But without reserves, netballers and juniors... there is no club. My heart and soul will always be with Yarram, all I want to do is see it succeed.

Go you demon boys!

Are you serious??? or even being half honest..?

Harry, you make some very good points in regards to the Yarram Football club and the state of play in the local league. When I mentioned "24 senior players being cleared", I meant 24 senior age players being cleared. I know not all of them are of senior footballer quality, but the results in the reserves, including a loss to the Allies, reflect a club low on depth.

I acknowledge that the forfeit is entirely due to the Yallies setup for u12s and u14s. The question is, what can be done about it to get the Yarram 4ths on the paddock for the remainder of the year?

I also wonder what is being done to attract netballers to the club? I know it's hard when you lose a whole side from the prior season. My only hope is that the club can encourage some more girls to come along and have a go.

It's great to have a senior side that's competitive week in, week out. But without reserves, netballers and juniors... there is no club. My heart and soul will always be with Yarram, all I want to do is see it succeed.

Go you demon boys!

Your statement is wrong again mate, there has not been "24 senior age players being cleared". The cold hard facts are against you. If you look at the clearances majority are kids to the yallies.

There needs to be a level of patience. What comes around goes around. The juniors are the backbone to any club and in the mid 90's the yarram juniors struggled to field sides. With patience the fourths won a premieship in 99 and played finals 97,98. Since 99 both junior teams have played finals every year, including a thirds premisehip in the 2000's. Also a granny appearance last year.

Yarram has never had strong twos, apart from the 98' flag. Depth would be great but lets be honest the town has 2500 peope in it.

If your heart and soul is always with Yarram why dont you stop raising issues about the club in a public domain like this thread and come and spend some time with the committee and like who are working tirelessly for the club.

Your statement is wrong again mate, there has not been "24 senior age players being cleared". The cold hard facts are against you. If you look at the clearances majority are kids to the yallies.

There needs to be a level of patience. What comes around goes around. The juniors are the backbone to any club and in the mid 90's the yarram juniors struggled to field sides. With patience the fourths won a premieship in 99 and played finals 97,98. Since 99 both junior teams have played finals every year, including a thirds premisehip in the 2000's. Also a granny appearance last year.

Yarram has never had strong twos, apart from the 98' flag. Depth would be great but lets be honest the town has 2500 peope in it.

If your heart and soul is always with Yarram why dont you stop raising issues about the club in a public domain like this thread and come and spend some time with the committee and like who are working tirelessly for the club.

Harry, your point about the depth in the 2s is a good one. It is difficult to expect a strong team to come from a small town. Having played outside the Alberton League, I can see how important it is to have strong numbers in the reserve grade on the field and at the social functions.

On the whole, I believe it is better to raise an issue, talk about it and find solutions, rather than not talking about it at all. I know this is not the best place to raise it, but being away from the club makes it hard to keep in touch with what is going on. I have no doubt the committee is working tirelessly and doing it's very best.

I hope Yarram sticks together and improves throughout the rest of the year to show the fighting spirit it did in that last quarter against Dalyston.

i dont no what people get out of coming on this site bagging out other clubs why dont people talk about football for once

Football changes all the time clubs like yarram and dwwww used to be the teams to beat not long ago and teams like killy bass who have not played finals in 20 years and mdu have not had much history to talk about are both havin massive years and looking like either team could go all the way this year things change reall quick so the teams ya bag on this site could be the side carving u up next year

i dont no what people get out of coming on this site bagging out other clubs why dont people talk about football for once

Football changes all the time clubs like yarram and dwwww used to be the teams to beat not long ago and teams like killy bass who have not played finals in 20 years and mdu have not had much history to talk about are both havin massive years and looking like either team could go all the way this year things change reall quick so the teams ya bag on this site could be the side carving u up next year

The best post I have seen for some time thanks bench boy. Your spot on, just because a club is rebuilding doesnt give people from other clubs the right to bag them and belt them, especially on a thread when you hide behind your online account.

Let me throw some stats around.
2007 ladder
1. Wonthaggi
2. Yarram
3. Toora
4. Tarwin

Bottom last-MDU
3rd last-Foster

Now Foster and Mdu are competitive, Toora struggling and Yarram and Tarwin on the build with young kids.

2009 ladder
Bottom 3 Fishy, MDU and Allies

Fishy and Allies had great success in the late 90's and early 2000's and were powerhouse teams. They are rebuilding now. THE SAME AS AFL CLUBS......BRISBANE LIONS AN EXAMPLE 2001, 2002, 2003 flags now struggling.

The best post I have seen for some time thanks bench boy. Your spot on, just because a club is rebuilding doesnt give people from other clubs the right to bag them and belt them, especially on a thread when you hide behind your online account.

2007 ladder
1. Wonthaggi
2. Yarram
3. Toora
4. Tarwin

Bottom last-MDU
3rd last-Foster

Now Foster and Mdu are competitive, Toora struggling and Yarram and Tarwin on the build with young kids.

2009 ladder

Fishy and Allies had great success in the late 90's and early 2000's and were powerhouse teams. They are rebuilding now. THE SAME AS AFL CLUBS......BRISBANE LIONS AN EXAMPLE 2001, 2002, 2003 flags now struggling.

To right harry very interesting stats you posted just go s to show it can change reall quick.

i still think anyone besides dwwww toora and tarwin can make finals.Invi Yarram and stoney ya never no what there going to do i think can beat anyone on the day i think its one of the most even comps going round this year for a long time

2007 ladder
1. Wonthaggi
2. Yarram
3. Toora
4. Tarwin

Bottom last-MDU
3rd last-Foster

2009 ladder

Your spot on, just because a club is rebuilding doesnt give people from other clubs the right to bag them and belt them, especially on a thread when you hide behind your online account.

FYI - I am from the Yarram Football Club and am not hiding behind an online account, as anyone from the club would be able to work out who I am. As far as history goes, I was a part of the premiership team in the 4ths, 3rds and Seniors in 2007. I saw the reserves win in 98 and was there to support the 3rds in the grand final at Inverloch last year.

I am not bagging my club! Just concerned with the current situation and wanting to see it survive and thrive like I know it can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To right harry very interesting stats you posted just go s to show it can change reall quick.

i still think anyone besides dwwww toora and tarwin can make finals.Invi Yarram and stoney ya never no what there going to do i think can beat anyone on the day i think its one of the most even comps going round this year for a long time

And I think the teams in this comp should enjoy that factor. There is nothing worse than seeing the country footy scores pop across the tv at half time of the afl saturday night match and look at the leagues that have 6-7 teams playing in them.

Look at Yarram, they pushed Foster to 15 points, and Korumburra to 20 points. Stony Creek beat MDU.

My tip for the flag is MDU based on current form. But its anyones guess week by week let alone september

yeah i agree mdu will be hard to beat.I am a bass boy and reckon we have a massive chance this year but have had massive injury dramas 8 of our starting players are all out injured.Also Burra who everyone thought would slide are looking very good big fight for last few spots in final 6 fishy should be there and foster invi stoney and yarram to fight it out for them spots.All that talk about Daylston early but dont think they are up to it also phillip island cant buy a trick lost 3 games under a kick and could be to far back now

good point bench boy, but you say mdu havent had much success, dont hold me to it, cause im not 100% sure but havent they won the 4th or 5th most amount of senior premierships in league history? but apart from that, there is finally someone talking some sense on here, just because the allies are in a bad patch, doesnt mean they arent going to come back in years to come and win some premierships, i mean look at stony creek, they were down for a long time, and have recently won a premiership and come runner up last year, also dont forget allies won a premiership not to long ago, but it does make it hard to find good players from not around this area, when devon is a long way from melbourne, the place of which teams are trying to source their good footballers from these days... fair call??

good point bench boy, but you say mdu havent had much success, dont hold me to it, cause im not 100% sure but havent they won the 4th or 5th most amount of senior premierships in league history? but apart from that, there is finally someone talking some sense on here, just because the allies are in a bad patch, doesnt mean they arent going to come back in years to come and win some premierships, i mean look at stony creek, they were down for a long time, and have recently won a premiership and come runner up last year, also dont forget allies won a premiership not to long ago, but it does make it hard to find good players from not around this area, when devon is a long way from melbourne, the place of which teams are trying to source their good footballers from these days... fair call??

Yeah ya spot on mate also prob right about mdu i dont no to much about there history but have struggled of last 10 years or so.Very good point with stoney and allies would be hard for devon getting players up there.I really rate alberton this year some very good senior footballers and a very even comp with 10 team i think in contention hard to pick a premier at this stage would not be many other leagues with this many teams a chance to win a flag most other leagues are 2 horse races

yeah it has been a great season so far, so many teams fighting for finals spots, and many good quality players running around the park aswell.

Burra, Mdu & bass the only real final certanties at this stage you would think, but with the way the seasons going anythign could happen... then with fishy, invy, stony, foster, dalyston, island & yarram fighting it out for the other finals spots & allies, toora & tarwin in my view the only teams which will not contend for a spot.

Would like to get others thoughts on interleague. Why isnt it run for this comp anymore?
In years gone it has been a great privledge to represent the league and wear the "BIG A" so to speak.

Who would we play against? North Gippsland?

As mentioned previously everyone has there turn, interesting that in alberton everyone of the 13 clubs has played finals since 2004 (apart from k/bass who joined in 05) which i think is the sign of a very good league! It just shows that we must be humble when winning because you can never write off any club, stony creek is a great example of this, a club that went yrs on end without winning a game only to end up saluting on grand final day in 09.

As mentioned previously everyone has there turn, interesting that in alberton everyone of the 13 clubs has played finals since 2004 (apart from k/bass who joined in 05) which i think is the sign of a very good league! It just shows that we must be humble when winning because you can never write off any club, stony creek is a great example of this, a club that went yrs on end without winning a game only to end up saluting on grand final day in 09.
Any views on where the granny should be played this year ? do we go with lnverloch, or back to Foster.
lets start a straw poll,
inverloch for me.

I am tipping MDU to win the flag, Killy Bass would want to at least make the GF with the amout of $$$ running around down there this year. No depth might be a problem for them though.

THe grand final should be played at Leongatha every season, who cares they play in a different league. Many other leages do this, i think north gippy plays at traralgon and mid gippy plays at morwell. Its the middle of the league, great ground, plenty of room, would double bar takings so all clubs would win. Why has the league never done this before??

I am tipping MDU to win the flag, Killy Bass would want to at least make the GF with the amout of $$$ running around down there this year. No depth might be a problem for them though.

THe grand final should be played at Leongatha every season, who cares they play in a different league. Many other leages do this, i think north gippy plays at traralgon and mid gippy plays at morwell. Its the middle of the league, great ground, plenty of room, would double bar takings so all clubs would win. Why has the league never done this before??

how do ya work out that killybass dont have depth leo got 6 of there starting players out and have been out for weeks
Damo holmes,dylan foss ,danny wells,jacob harris ,bronson interlandi ,wayne anderson
who are all quality players and have not lost a game yet and there 2nds have won 5 out of 7 i reckon its the best depth the club has ever had.
Do agree that mdu are the team to beat

Like the leongatha idea Leo.
What i saw of Killy Bass yest they would be too powerful for MDU especially if they get the mentioned players back.Think if their bigger bodies could match in the mid field they have a better forward line..Wasn't too impressed with Clarke for the Demons, well held by a self confessed battler

Remove this Banner Ad

Alberton Footy League - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back