Alex Condon (Future Cat B Candidate?)

Remove this Banner Ad

If by “useless degree” you mean he’s got one of those sports scholarships that mean he doesn’t have to attend any classes - yeah, I agree. And I’ve pointed that out. But didn’t they get clamped down on at one stage a few years back?

But if it’s not that, then an education is an education. And he’s training in a high performance environment.

What’s the rush? It’s not as if we’re screaming out for yet another 21 yo ruckman to run around the VFL?
I’d say there is finite time to structurally replace Mason Cox who will play as a 34 year old next year.

It’s hard to say without seeing Condon play, but a big part of Cox’s value is his extreme height which makes defenders panic, an attribute that Condon shares.

I’d say that he won’t want to waste any time either. Every preseason, every year of development he misses is time he won’t get back. With a degree in social sciences, this will almost certainly be the only period of his life his earning capacity could be 500K-1M a year. The gap between success and failure is razor thin, and he’s already behind the 8-ball compared to other players his age…

If I were him, I wouldn’t be wasting another minute. It might make all the difference.

Was there actually any new development here - or did time just click over to him becoming eligible and thus a story came out about it?
Not sure tbh. He had already committed to us, so unless he formally committed again. Or maybe its more to do the fact his is eligible to be signed now.

Not to put words in Jen’s mouth, but I think she was suggesting that if you aren’t drafted as a freshman or sophomore your likelihood of being drafted drops with each college season you play. At least that was how I interpreted it rather than declaring. Zach Edey is the only recent case I can think of where a senior has secured a contract in the NBA as a senior. Donovan Clingan on the other hand was a sophomore same as Condon this year and that’s like comparing Naicos and Dib in 2021 in terms of how far Condon is behind Clingan.

Jaime Jaquez from the previous year too

It is still a net loss. Will make 100k in his first year in the AFL so if he waits to years to graduate he will be down 200k and still looking at a post graduate in Aus
Nah. He's on a free ride in the US. The financial difference is only savings, which wouldn't be much if on $100,000 living in Melbourne away from his parents - plus those savings would be offset against the hecs debt he'd accrue.

Nah. He's on a free ride in the US. The financial difference is only savings, which wouldn't be much if on $100,000 living in Melbourne away from his parents - plus those savings would be offset against the hecs debt he'd accrue.

He will start earning as a cat b as soon as he signs.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He will start earning as a cat b as soon as he signs.

I imagine when he does sign, it'll be because he would have accepted giving up basketball.
Surely we can't sign him and pay him when he is still playing college basketball?

I’d say there is finite time to structurally replace Mason Cox who will play as a 34 year old next year.

It’s hard to say without seeing Condon play, but a big part of Cox’s value is his extreme height which makes defenders panic, an attribute that Condon shares.

I’d say that he won’t want to waste any time either. Every preseason, every year of development he misses is time he won’t get back. With a degree in social sciences, this will almost certainly be the only period of his life his earning capacity could be 500K-1M a year. The gap between success and failure is razor thin, and he’s already behind the 8-ball compared to other players his age…

If I were him, I wouldn’t be wasting another minute. It might make all the difference.
Great post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just can't see this bloke playing for us
That’s because he’s in America atm. It will be easier for you when he comes back to Australia and starts training at the club.

I imagine when he does sign, it'll be because he would have accepted giving up basketball.
Surely we can't sign him and pay him when he is still playing college basketball?
The whole thing is odd.

I don't understand him being committed to us without having signed with us and why would he have committed to a club so far out unless he's already being paid.

And then you've got the us college rules regarding being paid, who knows what they are ...

Last edited:
The whole thing is odd.

I don't understand him being committed to us without having signed with us and why would he have committed to a club so far out unless he's already being paid.

And then you've got the us college rules regarding being paid...
He won't have formally committed to us (e.g. contractually enforceable), because that needs a signature, which he can't do until the specific date. The references to him 'committing to us' prior will be the 'handshake agreement' form of commitment, which is more of a statement of strong intent, but not enforceable.

He won't have formally committed to us (e.g. contractually enforceable), because that needs a signature, which he can't do until the specific date. The references to him 'committing to us' prior will be the 'handshake agreement' form of commitment, which is more of a statement of strong intent, but not enforceable.
It seems odd to do so so far out though. Offers could change a heap. As could a club's situation.

It seems odd to do so so far out though. Offers could change a heap. As could a club's situation.
It’s because the period we had exclusive rights to him have come to an end so he (I think) could have committed elsewhere. We now continue to have him on our books again which is great news if he decides to give up the basketball pathway.

It's depressing to think we have to rely on a basketballer finding the pathway to the top too tough and then deciding to come to us for our end of season thrills. Don't misunderstand me-I'd love to nab him if he is available, but I envy the clubs who are in the mix for quality players in the prime of their careers. Barrass is a good example. Bailey and Bolton are two others I'd love to have but beggars cannot be choosers.

He comes from a strong footy background. His dad played nearly 150 WAFL games.
His dad played at Hawthorn in the mid ‘80’s but couldnt crack a senior game with the talent already there.

All this speculation is great, but listening to someone talk about him that’s actually discussed his future with people at the club it’s a matter of when not if he returns. My guess is he’s back around May/ June next year post the college season.
I wouldn’t bank on the ‘when’
He is going very well atm & highly regarded as a basketballer.
No Jen, he is staying in US for 2 more years.
Cat B’s are paid outside SC
He will be paid by Collingwood while still in US but it will not contribute to your cap

It's depressing to think we have to rely on a basketballer finding the pathway to the top too tough and then deciding to come to us for our end of season thrills. Don't misunderstand me-I'd love to nab him if he is available, but I envy the clubs who are in the mix for quality players in the prime of their careers. Barrass is a good example. Bailey and Bolton are two others I'd love to have but beggars cannot be choosers.

He is a free throw at the stumps. Probably better things to get depressed about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex Condon (Future Cat B Candidate?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back