Alex Condon (Future Cat B Candidate?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mason Cox is a cross code, cross nation, 100+ games premiership player.

Fair effort for Condon to match or surpass that. He hasn’t even pulled on the jumper.

I don’t understand why people are so quick to diminish Mason. Amazing effort.

The odds of him being drafted are very slim. He’s a tall lanky white guy who hasn’t got anything special except his height. NBA teams are not into “developing” talent. He’d have to go play international ball somewhere, bulk up improve his shot etc then if he dominated they might look at him. It’s a long road with zero guarantee. Perhaps he doesn’t want to waste his best years playing in some crap league in Uzbekistan in the hope he can get to the NBA.

He’s smart hedging his bet with AFL. He’ll get paid more than he would in the NBL if he has a good career with us.

The odds of him being drafted are very slim. He’s a tall lanky white guy who hasn’t got anything special except his height. NBA teams are not into “developing” talent. He’d have to go play international ball somewhere, bulk up improve his shot etc then if he dominated they might look at him. It’s a long road with zero guarantee. Perhaps he doesn’t want to waste his best years playing in some crap league in Uzbekistan in the hope he can get to the NBA.

He’s smart hedging his bet with AFL. He’ll get paid more than he would in the NBL if he has a good career with us.
He doesn't. It was trying to get drafted through college in the US, or come home and go back to afl.
There was no other alternative in his mind.

Mason Cox is a cross code, cross nation, 100+ games premiership player.

Fair effort for Condon to match or surpass that. He hasn’t even pulled on the jumper.

I don’t understand why people are so quick to diminish Mason. Amazing effort.
Not sure who you're referring to, but I don't see any diminishing of Cox.

Most have been making the point that Condon starts from a better place than Cox did and marvelling at how well Cox has done despite starting so far back.

Given Cox's professionalism and extraordinary success since arriving in the AFL, it's no easy task for Condon to match or exceed his career. Starting further on helps but is far from a guarantee.

The real thing that stood out to me in those series of tweets critiquing his game was his shooting, particular 3pt. In the modern NBA they’re looking for all players to be able to go long range if needed, and if you’re as poor as Alex seems to be from that distance the odds of you making it in are slim unless you’re absolutely dominant in other areas.

His basketball career trajectory screams Will Magnay / NBL

Smart of him to see afl average salary is much higher than NBL

His basketball career trajectory screams Will Magnay / NBL

Smart of him to see afl average salary is much higher than NBL
If he was going to remain a professional basketballer - I'd say he was Europe bound post college, but he's not, he's Pies bound.

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex Condon (Future Cat B Candidate?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back