Alex Condon (Future Cat B Candidate?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Would Jordan still be the goat if he played in this era, or have a very good career a a la Demar Derozan?
I think he would because he was so good at getting to the hoop, but the thought of him then kicking it out to a lower percentage shot because that's what the scoring system dictates doesn't sit well with me. It goes against the whole principles of an invasion sport.

Would Jordan still be the goat if he played in this era, or have a very good career a a la Demar Derozan?
Jordan would have become a great 3pt shooter if he played in this era. There just wasn't as much emphasis on it then, but his workrate was legendary, he wasn't a bad shooter as it was, and his FT% was good, which is a fairly reliable indicator of outside shooting reliability usually.

A career 84% FT shooter with a godly workrate, focusing extremely heavily on improving his career 3pt% of 33% would easily get that to 38-40%, IMO.

Jordan would have become a great 3pt shooter if he played in this era. There just wasn't as much emphasis on it then, but his workrate was legendary, he wasn't a bad shooter as it was, and his FT% was good, which is a fairly reliable indicator of outside shooting reliability usually.

A career 84% FT shooter with a godly workrate, focusing extremely heavily on improving his career 3pt% of 33% would easily get that to 38-40%, IMO.
From 89-90 (his big 3PT shooting jump) until his final Chicago season, he was a 36% shooter from deep on 2.4 attempts per game, over a near-600 game sample size. Comparable % to LeBron (less attempts necessitated by era). Bron has had multiple seasons of elite shooting from deep and is a worse FT shooter than MJ.

I think he would adjust fine. Players with much worse natural shooting touch and lesser workrates have turned into perfectly fine 3PT shooters.

This is my thought too

From 89-90 (his big 3PT shooting jump) until his final Chicago season, he was a 36% shooter from deep on 2.4 attempts per game, over a near-600 game sample size. Comparable % to LeBron (less attempts necessitated by era). Bron has had multiple seasons of elite shooting from deep and is a worse FT shooter than MJ.

I think he would adjust fine. Players with much worse natural shooting touch and lesser workrates have turned into perfectly fine 3PT shooters.
Yeah, he was an extremely good mid range shooter, which was considered the percentage play before someone did some simple maths. I have little doubt his 3 point percentage would be right up there if he played in this era. At the time, he got it competent, but it was just there as a fake to help him get to the ring.

But quite simply still a star in any era, as noone has ever been as effective at driving to the rim. Not even close. And he'd wreak even more havoc that way in this era with the extra arc protection that defences need to do. He'd cut defences to ribbons and if they protected the paint as much as theyd need to, he'd feed out wide open 3s to his teammates.

I'm sure people are in his ear about pulling the trigger on getting a pre-season into him now rather than waiting. Could be a part of something special if the stars align.

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex Condon (Future Cat B Candidate?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back