All Aboard

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a quiet chuckle to myself yesterday, at a post on the main board from a Bulldogs fan who said he couldn't understand why Port fans don't like Hinkley. As far as he's concerned, the man is a genius to keep getting us into the finals. What he can't get through his skull is the fact that until now, Ken's game plan hasn't stood up in September. Hopefully this year is different.
You’d expect that from a supporter of a club that’s won one flag in 62 years.

This. Every media idiot trying to outdo each other in Hyperbole. The Outrage set calling for people's heads, red cards, send offs. FMD. It was a perfect shirt front, as you said absolutely common place and applauded only a generation ago. The AFL used to have Ad campaigns celebrating these type of hits. "its not a good look for the game" these fawning dipshits stammer. He didn't get him in the head. If you ever played footy at a decent level you would have copped one of these.
The game intensity certainly went up.

At the game it brought everyone to life, and the players.

Reminded me (not that you like to see people concussed) but how sanitsied the game has become.

I was listening to 3AW earlier and they rattled off 4 teams they considered 'in form' and we weren't one of them.
Fully understandable - every finals contender is starting games 71-0 (yeah I know: it was a once off that will never happen again).

Objective incompetence is worse than perceived negativity (scrutiny, calls for accountability).

Tredrea’s “untenable” bombshell led to Ken sitting on the bench, blubbering, and a 13-game win streak.

The booing when it looked like the 13th-placed Brisbane Lions would beat us by 100pts at Adelaide Oval led to Ken blubbering, and a rich vein of form that may culminate in a home Qualifying Final.

If anything there should’ve been even more calling this regime out, as the results are either wackily coincidental, or finally got some complacent, overly-comfortable arses into gear, no?

It’s a shame Michael Gudinski and Shane Warne passed without seeing their club win a[nother] flag, but then Port and St Kilda are not the same.
I don’t buy the booing has made Ken a better coach.
He’s had hundreds of games and the end results have been the same.
All coaches want to win flags, Ken is no different to any other.
As you said to me in a previous post a couple of months back,you didn’t think this list in its present form was good enough to win a flag this year.
I agreed with your post believing we had lost out.
So what’s really changed since then?
You believe it’s supporter based and because of one word from Warren.
I believe the players have responded to the media attack giving them a wake up call.
What has for me made us climb up the ladder is mostly due to the fallout of every other club around and above us after the Brisbane game apart from GWS.
Our form now is comparable to 13 in a row last year.
Why it looks better than last year is the opposition this year is struggling to win a game and no big vic clubs to take advantage of the hometown umps in the finals.
Ken is still Ken he’s no different to the way he was at any stage of the year.
Players lifted yes but at the end of the day your only as good as your opponents and right now there’s not many in the room.

I just hope the Hawks don't do a 2016 Bulldogs, and reach the grand final from 7th. Because if they get there, the fairytale scenario will be rammed down everyone's throats, and the game will be umpired accordingly.
Honestly if they can make it there without Day I don't think they'll need umpiring to win it all.

The First Crack mob reckon Houston out kills our flag tilt, flying under the radar & getting written off is exactly where this club needs to be imo it's lined up if they have the minerals.
We had no Primus or Francou in 2004, and we're certainly not a 1 man team now. Houston missing makes it harder, but definitely not impossible.

My head is screaming at me to not get my hopes up because we've been patchy and we've seen this movie before... My heart, which loves the club and what it has represented in my life, is making it impossible for me not to have that flicker of belief and be on board - I'm sure I'm just getting ready to be hurt again.

I can't stand Ken and I don't like a lot of the administrators... But god damn it I want to win this premiership so badly

We changed our structure we put rata up forward which gives us another pack breaking forward he also is taking marks, this is allowing us to kick it long and the ball is hitting the ground, allowing Georgie to play third tall and float across packs taking marks, we put our bulls in the middle and made butters rozee play more outside roles which suit their game. Some of these changes were tactical some were due to player availability but a healthy list helps too, plus our guns are maturing nicely and impacting games to the level we know they could, stay healthy and we are real shot

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It was in reply to a question asking what other side supporters had gone through compared to us.
I used St Kilda but as we both know there are other high profile clubs that have had less success than us over the last 20 odd years or more.

Playing in Grand Finals for me is not success, neither is playing in finals.
They are both required to gain opportunity but unless you take that opportunity you’ve failed.
Ebert got the push because he couldn’t deliver a flag, ruthless but that’s the way Port used to be run, if your not first your last.
It’s a different football world now.
It’s all about the Game day experience and other BS double talk.
Making money is much more important than winning flags,the business side of it overshadows the playing side of it.
I want exactly the same thing as you want, the club to win a flag and that is the benchmark.
I don’t support the management and definitely don’t support the coach.
I support the team and I don’t support people that slag every single thing about the club over and over again.
But I don't think it's right to call people who repeatedly criticise the club "bandwagoners", or claim that they shouldn't have the right to celebrate when the team does well. I have no doubt that every poster on this forum is a true Port fan who wants what's best for the club, but much of what they've seen for the last decade has been below par. If we do happen to go top this year, I'd vote for a bigfooty get together, to celebrate long and hard!!!!!!!!!!!

But I don't think it's right to call people who repeatedly criticise the club "bandwagoners", or claim that they shouldn't have the right to celebrate when the team does well. I have no doubt that every poster on this forum is a true Port fan who wants what's best for the club, but much of what they've seen for the last decade has been below par. If we do happen to go top this year, I'd vote for a bigfooty get together, to celebrate long and hard!!!!!!!!!!!
This is where we differ, there is posters on this forum that are not true Port fans, FFS we got one who’s flagging a GWS avatar and is a GWS member.
Give me a break Jessie, and he’s not the only one.

You know it I know it, it’s just more friendly to say nothing and keep the peace.
I’m not that friendly.
Nothing wrong with criticizing the club for its decisions.
I’m talking about criticizing everything over and over again 100% negative.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be a Bradbury year for Port, teams just keep falling over.
Still not impressed with hinkly. 12 years of mental scars, he owes us big time!
No such thing as Bradburying in footy.

It's a long season and you gotta compete well enough over 23 rounds to give finals a good crack, then make it through 3 or 4 finals matches to win the cup. IDGAF if you finish H&A undefeated then choke in finals - just shows you probably blew your load too early

I definitely thought we'd be 0-4.
So did I. I still think this is a false dawn though. Carlton and Melbourne aren't that great, the Sydney game was an outlier for both clubs and the Crows are 15th for a reason. In 3 of those last 4 games we didn't play very well but showed some grit and fight. No-one has been entirely convincing of late but in finals I expect the best sides to go up a notch and Hinkleyball to reassert itself so we flop again.

Of course I'll be very very happy to be proved wrong.

We changed our structure we put rata up forward which gives us another pack breaking forward he also is taking marks, this is allowing us to kick it long and the ball is hitting the ground, allowing Georgie to play third tall and float across packs taking marks, we put our bulls in the middle and made butters rozee play more outside roles which suit their game. Some of these changes were tactical some were due to player availability but a healthy list helps too, plus our guns are maturing nicely and impacting games to the level we know they could, stay healthy and we are real shot

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
With regards to Rata, I think moving him forward has removed the confusion from defence.
Was at an early season game and I said to my Wife, Rats gotta go forward, no room in defence for 2 alpha big dogs like him and Aliir as neither looked like they wanted to step on the others toes, so no one went.
Rata goes forward, Aliir resumes his post and both are having impact.

Cant believe it took 3 months to come about.

No such thing as Bradburying in footy.

It's a long season and you gotta compete well enough over 23 rounds to give finals a good crack, then make it through 3 or 4 finals matches to win the cup. IDGAF if you finish H&A undefeated then choke in finals - just shows you probably blew your load too early
Pretty sure Bradbury didn't just rock up to the 1000m final.

Pretty sure Bradbury didn't just rock up to the 1000m final.
GWS haven’t fallen over, Sydney still going to be hard to beat and Hawthorn are on the move.
Then you have Brisbane who only a couple weeks ago was premiership favorites.
You still have to win 3 finals to win a flag
It’s not just one race.

I feel one of the major differences this year compared to our other Top-4 finish years, with the exception of 2020 & a reduced COVID season, has been our record against Top 4/8 teams.
We have beaten 5/7 teams in the top 8, with our losses being to GWS and Brisbane.
Now, it must be said, not all those victories were equal. We got lucky against Hawthorn, but smacked Sydney and WBD.

So while I'm not expecting us to win the GF, the wins over good teams is a major point of difference when compared to last year or 2021.

My head is screaming at me to not get my hopes up because we've been patchy and we've seen this movie before... My heart, which loves the club and what it has represented in my life, is making it impossible for me not to have that flicker of belief and be on board - I'm sure I'm just getting ready to be hurt again.

I can't stand Ken and I don't like a lot of the administrators... But god damn it I want to win this premiership so badly
I think the majority of posters are in the same camp atm.

All this talk about Bradbury year has me annoyed. Every team in the 8 is into up to the eyeballs. Bradbury means a big pin or two falls over at the end.

I feel one of the major differences this year compared to our other Top-4 finish years, with the exception of 2020 & a reduced COVID season, has been our record against Top 4/8 teams.
We have beaten 5/7 teams in the top 8, with our losses being to GWS and Brisbane.
Now, it must be said, not all those victories were equal. We got lucky against Hawthorn, but smacked Sydney and WBD.

So while I'm not expecting us to win the GF, the wins over good teams is a major point of difference when compared to last year or 2021.
In 2021 we finished 2, 9th place finished 7 wins behind us.
With one round left now there is only 3 wins between us and 9th Fremantle.
I don’t think we’re playing better than 2021.
What has happened is it’s the worst top 8 I can remember.
We have been consistent at best, the rest have massive highs and lows.

Remove this Banner Ad

All Aboard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back