All Australian - 40 man squad on page 89

Remove this Banner Ad

Maric's form has been fantastic this year. It is hard to believe that we was playing second fiddle to James Meiklejohn at Port in the SANFL. To be fair, Meiklejohn is regarded at the best ruckman in the SANFL.

Well done to Maric, i think most Adelaide supporters would be very happy to see him doing so well.

Have you got anything to offer this thread, mate? Or is it your thing to sit on the sidelines and make pointless comments?
Sigh..
If you were to go through this thread the majority of the posts would be "pointless".
In fact yours is more pointless than mine.
FWIW I was talking about the AA team by the channel 7 team.

Both Jacobs and Maric have been good this year, but neither have been perfect. Maric struggled against Naitanui + Cox (understandably), and Jacobs was down against Jolly vs Collingwood. If I were to to name an AA ruck from Round 8 and prior, I would say Jacobs. However, given Jacob's average past two weeks and Maric's solid last two performances, I'd have Maric just ahead at the end of Round 10. I'm hoping we see a return to early season form by Jacobs after the bye, think he just needs the rest after shouldering nearly all the ruck the past couple of weeks.

Cox will likely snatch the position by the end of the year IMO, he's only missed one game hasn't he?

No he didn't.

Ivan Maric - 96DT Points
12 Disposals 6kicks/6HBs
26 Hitouts
6 Marks
4 Tackles
2 Clearances
2 I50s

Dean Cox - 74 DT Points
10 Disposals 5Kicks/5HBs
16 Hitouts
7 Marks
1 Tackle
0 Clearances
0 I50s
1 Goal
1 Behind

Nic Naitanui - 94 DT Points
14 Disposals 5Kicks/9HBs
26 Hitouts
5 Marks
5 Tackles
2 Clearances
5 I50s
0 Goals
0 Behinds

Even ask WCE supporters and they will tell you that Maric at least broke even with both of those players and quite comfortably beat Cox when he was in the Ruck and broke even with Naitanui in the Middle, Maric was fantastic in that game and was more influential around the ground.

EDIT: And just for a comparison between Jacobs and Maric here are the stats for 2012.

Averages.

Ivan Maric
16.6 Disposals
4.9 Marks
74.7 DE%
29.4 Hitouts
2.7 Clearances
3.5 Tackles
0.6 Goals

Sam Jacobs
13.3 Disposals
3.9 Marks
64.7 DE%
28.5 Hitouts
1.1 Clearances
1.7 Tackles
0.1 Goals

I'm also pretty positive that Jacobs and Maric are #1 and #2 for HTA in the competition.

Can we please make one rule..........

When making a case for a player either for or against, SC or DT points mean nothing. Absolutely no reflection of a players influence on a game

Can we please make one rule..........

When making a case for a player either for or against, SC or DT points mean nothing. Absolutely no reflection of a players influence on a game

If you are referring to my post I simply put that up there as another statistical point of view, I never meant it as a guide as to who was the more influential player.

If you are referring to my post I simply put that up there as another statistical point of view, I never meant it as a guide as to who was the more influential player.
Sorry mate, didnt mean to make it seem like a direct reference towards your post. More just a general rule. Ive seen plenty of others use SC/DT points too try make a case.

Does anyone know where you can find hitouts to advantage stats? I tried googling it and couldn't find it.

Read an article before about Maric, he was #2 in the AFL for HTA, and I'm positive I saw somewhere that Jacobs was #1.

Don't have the exact numbers though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting discussion. Maric has been very good, but I think the hype is more to do with Richmond finally playing decent football and having someone who has reasonable ability in the ruck. Im very interested to see how he goes against Sandi today. Despite Sandi getting a lot of taps last week against Adelaide, Jacobs nullified his effectiveness.

Round 14 may settle the argument on Jacobs and Maric when Adelaide play Richmond which i think will be a great game as I believe the sides are fairly equal.

B: T. Richards (Syd) D. Glass (WC) H. Shaw (Coll)
HB: B. Waters (WC) A. Rance (Rich) B. Deledio (Rich)
C: B. Stanton (Ess) J. Watson (Ess) S. Selwood (WC)
HF: T. Cotchin (Ric) J. Riewoldt (Rich) G. Ablett (GC)
F: L. Jetta (Syd) L. Franklin (Haw) S. Sidebottom (Coll)
1R: S. Jacobs (Adel) S. Pendlebury (Coll) J.P. Kennedy (Syd)
INT: I. Maric (Rich) M. Boyd (WB) S. Thompson (Adel) P. Dangerfield (Adel)

Read an article before about Maric, he was #2 in the AFL for HTA, and I'm positive I saw somewhere that Jacobs was #1.

Don't have the exact numbers though.

I do remember the commentary team saying during the Freo v Adelaide game last week that Jacobs was #5 in the league for total HO, but #1 in HTA. Have no idea where to find the stats though. I guess Champion Data must provide them for the AFL.

ITT: Adelaide supporters try to hide their disappointment at getting rid of Maric that they do anything possible to overvalue Sam Jacobs and undervalue Maric when it's clear to the rest of the competition that Maric is better.

ITT: Adelaide supporters try to hide their disappointment at getting rid of Maric that they do anything possible to overvalue Sam Jacobs and undervalue Maric when it's clear to the rest of the competition that Maric is better.

:rolleyes:

Sitting at 8-2 after 10 games, we seem to be doing just fine with Jacobs. Given that he's the number 1 ruckman in the league for HTA, which you know... is the main job of a ruckman, and as a result, we are currently the number 1 clearance side in the competition, I don't see how you can come to that conclusion that he's being over valued.

Maric is playing fantastically well, and I don't think you'd find too many Adelaide supporters who aren't very happy to see that. He would have been getting games here this year over people like Jenkins and McKernan, but he would still be playing second fiddle to Jacobs in the ruck.

im very sure that that is not the case

Maric probably has jacobs beat with influence around the ground. He has been the best defensive Ruckman in the competition and is large reason for Richmonds success.

Sorry mate, didnt mean to make it seem like a direct reference towards your post. More just a general rule. Ive seen plenty of others use SC/DT points too try make a case.
Supercoach ratings don't properly reference defensive players whose main duty is to stop opposition forwards. That's why I'm not a proponent for their use.

Mate this is so far from the truth. Maric wasnt able to break into the Adelaide side for a majority of the last two seasons, mainly due to the fact he didnt show the effort or ability around the ground that he's showing this year. When we let him move on, most had it as nothing more than an after thought.

But, all credit to big Ivan, we went away and worked hard on the areas of his game that needed improvement, and is having an absolute ripper season. I for one having him ahead of Jacobs, and am happy too see him going so well

been proven correct about Maric. not all australian standard. Nic nat destroyed him in actual ruck work in that eagles game. go back and watch the tape. stats my arse. there are taps to advantage and then there are nic nat taps to advantage. Before his 2 week injury Mick Malthouse had Nic Nat in the top 10 players of the year. Maric maybe broke even with Griffen . In the 10 mins Sandi played , Maric hardly touched the ball anywhere. Had to laugh when the richmond supporters cheered when Sandi was subbed out. Even they knew Maric was in for a beating. Hype it is has been

Nah, Maric and Rance have been good for most of the season. Short term memory seems to be a prerequisite for AA threads. I'm not saying either are locks but if the season finished today, they'd both be huge chances. Deservedly so.

As would Lids and Cotchin. Not sold on Riewoldt yet this season. Obviously still one of the better forwards in the comp but AA? Still think there have been more consistent performers. Need to look beyond the Coleman leaderboard.

Johnson had another good game for Freo as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

All Australian - 40 man squad on page 89

Remove this Banner Ad

Back