All-Australian form?

Remove this Banner Ad

although its always nice to have players in the AA squad - THE LAST THING WE NEED IS ANY MORE AA'S!! With our salary cap issues as they stand, the last thing we need is a Kelly, Taylor, Varcoe, JPod going AA this year and meaning we need to pay them even more....!!
the way we're going, the only players in the Geelong 22 who are not gonna finish their careers with an AA selection are gonna be Blake, Hunt, Byrnes and Lonergan!

i think they stopped with those sort of incentive based deals after 2007. i could be wrong though

either way, it's always good to see our players get the individual recognition they deserve on top of the team recognition

I'll confess to be blinded by the romance, but I fail to see how a forward who kicks 5 goals in over half of his games and leads the league by a bull's roar in contested marks taken could not be considered a drop dead cert.

I don't think 1 more is considered a bull's roar.

So far -

Certainties -

Ablett and Chapman

Top 40 squad -

Bartel, S Johnson, Enright, Taylor, Selwood

If they finish off the year well -

Podsiadly - Contested marking king.. Right now, even missing 3 games, i would have him as the third best tall forward this season, behind Pav and Riewoldt.. If he finishes the year as he started, he will be a near certainty.

Scarlett, his few games have been fantastic. Smashed Bradshaw, Fev etc.. Will need to play all games from here on to be considered.

Varcoe - Could sneak into a small forward roll if he continues his rapid rise.
On averages, he is in the top 10 forwards in the league for combined goals kicked/assisted per game.. Not quite in top 40 range yet, but a big finish could push him there..

Kelly is very underated and has had a great year and should get in the top 40 squad at least

Kelly's a superstar, if he continues his form from the first half of the season he'll have cemented his spot as a genuine A-grader. His biggest problem in terms of AA selection is that he's competing against so many of his teammates and there are a few that are walk-up starts.

I think Varcoe would need to do a bit more to sneak in to the 40. He probably needs to dominate another game and also put in some decent contributions in a couple of others. His biggest problem is that so many of the selectors seem to look purely at statistics rather than at performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

All-Australian form?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back