Superwee

Debutant
Mar 28, 2005
In the soup
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Once again Melbourne is dudded by the selection panel. Robertson missing out is by far the WORST decision by the panel in its 14 year history. A small forward who has kicked 69 goals (mostly from contested marks) and won about 4 or 5 games off his own boot. Mystifying. Its the same old story though.. Woewodin somehow missed selection the year he won the brownlow which left a few of the airheads on the panel with red faces. White missed that same year despite being clearly the best ruckman. Yze in 2001 and 2002 despite being the leading kick getter both years.

No surprises to see Gerard Healy's lovechild Leo Barry in again this year. I bet he pushed hard for Kirk too. Kane Cornes?? Kerly would have got that one over the line for his mate Grahame. How can a crap team like Hawthorn who won 5 games for the year have three staring players in the best team in the country? Sheer bewilderment.. but as i said no surprises for melbourne fans. :confused:

You are 100% right. Year after year Melbourne players are snubbed by the selection panel in favour of some plonker who has done jack all year. Maybe we should put Jim Stynes or Garry Lyon on the on the selection panel to remind people that there are Melbourne players still in the league

ah who gives a s*** about the AA team anyway its just losing more credibility by not selecting certain players. Supporters of just the AFL in general would agree that Robbo missing out is a joke as were a few other places in the team. Robbo is the most stiff though

You are absolutely right I cant believe that Robo didnt get a spot even trapper probably should have been in there. What is with Everitt in the forward pocket he should have been back up ruckman on the bench. It is a disgrace to play him out of position. Cant agree about kane Cornes though i think he toroughly deserved his place in the team, he is a gun. I think robo in everitts spot everitt on the bench and leo barry out.

AA selection is the biggest crock of all time.

3 players (50%) selected in the backline from the 3 worst teams in the AFL?

Give me a break.

Joel Bowden????? Are you seriously kidding me? Fiora and Tivendale have more heart..........

Spider in the pocket and ricutto on the flank? I would hazard a guess they never lined up in these positions for the year !!!!!!!

The selection panel (specifically KB, Walls and Healy) have shown they have lost touch with the game and should retire and go live down by the beach away from everybody. NO IDEA !!!!!!!!!

Flowerpower said:

Give me a break.

Joel Bowden????? Are you seriously kidding me? Fiora and Tivendale have more heart..........

Spider in the pocket and ricutto on the flank? I would hazard a guess they never lined up in these positions for the year !!!!!!!

The selection panel (specifically KB, Walls and Healy) have shown they have lost touch with the game and should retire and go live down by the beach away from everybody. NO IDEA !!!!!!!!!
All though Hawthorn finished 14th it doesn't mean Hodge, Everitt and Croad aren't good players, in fact, they are stars. Agree that Everitt should've been named on the bench instead of forward pocket and Robertson should've been named in the side.

Flowerpower said:

Give me a break.

You obviously havent been watching joel bowden very closely over the last 2 seasons have you. You're not really in a position to question his courage when you have the likes of travis johnston not getting a kick when it matters most.

itsintheblood said:
You obviously havent been watching joel bowden very closely over the last 2 seasons have you. You're not really in a position to question his courage when you have the likes of travis johnston not getting a kick when it matters most.
if you had watched TJ this year you would know that isn't true. If you had said Bruce or Green I would have agreed with you to an extent.

oh please stop whinging. There are no doubts that robbo was hard done by, but still, i don't think that u guys deserved anyone in the AA team apart from him. and robbo is still not a definite, he is your only marking forward, and with the number of games u guys have won, 69 is probably pretty reasonable. but apart from robbo, u guys can't whinge about any other dees missing out surely!

Considering he was only 5 shy of the league leader, and he is a rather short 184cm, to kick 69 goals was a great effort. Got to remember that for half the season, Neitz was the main target at full forward too.

dalsanto26 said:
oh please stop whinging. There are no doubts that robbo was hard done by, but still, i don't think that u guys deserved anyone in the AA team apart from him. and robbo is still not a definite, he is your only marking forward, and with the number of games u guys have won, 69 is probably pretty reasonable. but apart from robbo, u guys can't whinge about any other dees missing out surely!
when did we ever have a winge?

Johnstone was an outside chance of inclusion. I wouldn't have picked him in my own AAT but I wouldn't have been surprised if he made the real one. He didn't but no complaints. Robertson on the other hand was the worst AAT ommission in its history nearly. Nearly as bad as Woewodin missing out in 2000. He perhaps wasn't the most deserving brownlow winner ever but he definatly was one of the best midfielders in the comp and deserved an AAT spot. Yet again it is a Melbourne player that is screwed over. The only real luck that we have had in the AAT this century has been White getting first ruck over Everitt last year but either one of them deserved it.

The Shev said:
Considering he was only 5 shy of the league leader, and he is a rather short 184cm, to kick 69 goals was a great effort. Got to remember that for half the season, Neitz was the main target at full forward too.
Williams kicked 63 goals and missed the last 3 games of the season. He is only 180cm which is smaller than Robertson. Do you see me whinging that he didnt make the AA team? :confused:

An absolute disgrace Robertson didn't make it. His end of the year was brilliant.

I think the selectors need to go back to square one, look at each team in order of most wins and then see which players are named in the best when they win the game of football. Statistics are a totally different thing to influencing the result of game. 5 ********y kicks in a back pocket will always look better on paper than a miraculous goal and a magic goal assist unfortunately to someone who has not seen every game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute joke. AA team should be done like the All-star teams are done in the US with Football Supporters voting, and not putting it down to so called "experts" who dont have a bloody clue.

Yze_Class said:
Absolute joke. AA team should be done like the All-star teams are done in the US with Football Supporters voting, and not putting it down to so called "experts" who dont have a bloody clue.
If they had that in place than people will most likely vote for players in the team the barrack for.

Gilbert_Hodge said:
If they had that in place than people will most likely vote for players in the team the barrack for.
They could have rules in place saying you cannot vote for players in your own team.

Yze_Class said:
They could have rules in place saying you cannot vote for players in your own team.
That could work, but i think some people will be stupid and put in donkey votes. I believe we just need real experts to choose the team.

Gilbert_Hodge said:
That could work, but i think some people will be stupid and put in donkey votes. I believe we just need real experts to choose the team.
Is there such a thing as a real expert?

I think that it should be selected by the players and coaches. It should be done in a way that they can't vote for players in their own team. Do you think that an idea along those lines would work?

Basically everyone would be given a list of the available players to play in the forward pocket for example. They would only be actual FPs. No resting midfielders or ruckman so guys like Robbo and Milne would be favourite. and yeah this would go on until they have a team and there wouldn't be any team bias because you can't vote for players in your team.

Surely the coaches and players would be the ultimate experts when it comes to picking the best team?

melbournemartin said:
I think that it should be selected by the players and coaches. It should be done in a way that they can't vote for players in their own team. Do you think that an idea along those lines would work?

Basically everyone would be given a list of the available players to play in the forward pocket for example. They would only be actual FPs. No resting midfielders or ruckman so guys like Robbo and Milne would be favourite. and yeah this would go on until they have a team and there wouldn't be any team bias because you can't vote for players in your team.

Surely the coaches and players would be the ultimate experts when it comes to picking the best team?
I like the idea, I think there is a similar award for the EPL.

It's a ridiculous side, but does anyone really care what the likes of Robert Walls, Gerard Healy, Adrian Anderson, KB and Andrew Demetriou think?

Even parrot from BigFooty could select a better side than those clowns.

itsintheblood said:

Tigers supporters are the worst in the AFL. Richmond supporters were calling to trade Bowden last season, and now you treat him like he is the saviour the the RFC.

But I suppose finishing in the bottom half of the ladder sits well with the Tigers supporters, as it has done for 20 or so years........ :eek:

Gilbert_Hodge said:
Williams kicked 63 goals and missed the last 3 games of the season. He is only 180cm which is smaller than Robertson. Do you see me whinging that he didnt make the AA team? :confused:

I don't care if you're whingeing or not, Robertson and Williams both deserved to be in there and I have every right to express my opinion. Plus, this is on the Melbourne board so I have even more right to whinge if I want to.

Remove this Banner Ad

All Australian selection - same old story

Remove this Banner Ad

Back