All Australian Team discussion 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Rutten for AA?

Why cant they all be in the team? even though 2 might be (slightly) out of position (but not do a Pav and put one in the foward :rolleyes:) all three deserve a spot this year

Good point... since when has the AA team ever been balanced? Lots of players get named on the list each year outside of their normal position. If the 3 best defenders in the league all happen to be FB's then name them all.

B: Campbell Brown Sam Fisher Joel Bowden
HB: Andrew McLeod Josh Drumond Jed Adcock
C: Kane Cornes Chad Cornes Jimmy Bartel
R: Dean Cox Gary Ablett Jr. Daniel Kerr
HF: Ryan O'Keefe Matthew Pavlich Nick Riewoldt
F: Luke Hodge Jonathan Brown Brad Johnson

Bench(from): Craig Bolton, Dale Thomas, Peter Burgoyne, Corey Jones, Sam Mitchell, Hamish McIntosh, Joel Corey.

Dale Thomas ahead of Franklin, what a suprise your a Richmond fan, not jealous are you?

Rucci he isn't biased at all surely. Would come down to rutten/glass/scarlett and maybe even fletcher as a smokey.

For mine Glass just, although Ruttens job on Brown last week was pretty good but Rutten got alot of support.

Rucci's a biased idiot. Scarlett > Glass this year, Rutten hasnt played in parts of the year.
Well you might be right but also take into considerations Geelongs Backline compared to our mob.
Scarlette, Egan, Milburn, Mackie, etc, etc have been in form week-in, week-out.

Glass has been our only real consistent one this year. Hunter has been very good as of late but ridiculously inconsistent before that. Wirra from a defensive POV is having his worst season in 5 years. Brett Jones has dropped off. Waters decision making has costed us quite a few goals.

3 Matches previous to Rutten being out of the side

Adelaide beat Kangaroos - No Kangaroos player kicked more than 2 goals
West Coast beat Adelaide (as they do) - Lynch kicked 1 goal
Adelaide beat Hawthorn - Franklin kicked 1 goal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look at the Stats when Rutten was out of the side for 3 weeks.

Crows lost all 3 matches to
St Kilda - Gehrig kicked 4 goals (Rutten injured early in match)
Fremantle - Pavlich kicked 5 goals
Essendon - Loyd kicked 5 goals
Crows beat Port Adelaide - Ebert kicked 4 goals (no Treadrea)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since Rutten has returned in the last 3 weeks

Crows did lose to Geelong but no one kicked more than 2 goals for Geelong.
Adelaide beat Bulldogs - Darcy kicked 3
Adelaide beat Brisbane - Brown kicked 1

This just proves Ruttens worth the the team. I Would go as far as saying he is our most important player.

Rucci's a biased idiot. Scarlett > Glass this year, Rutten hasnt played in parts of the year.

Read the thread.
There is nobody in the WORLD that hates Adelaide more than Rucci. He would be over the moon if no Adelaide players were made AA.
He's certainly biased, but this isn't a manifestation of that. Walls SHOULD know that.

This just proves Ruttens worth the the team. I Would go as far as saying he is our most important player.
Well we'll be in shitsville if Glass missed as well. Hes easily our most important player. :thumbsu:

Glass's game on the weekend against Fraser Gehrig was almost the perfect FB game. He was absolutely brilliant.

I would still have Matty Scarlett just ahead but I wouldn't be surprised to see them both get picked (which I think would be well deserved).

Rutten by no means a slouch but I don't think he'll be able to push out Glass or Scarlett.

Aren't they changing the selection procedure this year and just naming a group of the 6 best players in the different sections of the field?

ie the 6 best defenders, not worrying about actual onfield positions.

Or have I heard wrong?

There's no reason why more than 1 FB won't be named if thats that case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember when Walls came to AAMI last season, or the season before, for a port game.

He stepped on the groun and copped one of the heaviest booings of his LIFE. Anthony Hudson asked him how he felt about the reception, and he replied, 'look, I'm not going to comment on that. Let's talk about the matchups".

Got put into his place and still had too much pride shining from his arseh*le to show some humility.

Rutten by no means a slouch but I don't think he'll be able to push out Glass or Scarlett.

Thats my call as well. Scarlett and Glass will be in the AA team.

Ruttens just slightly behind them, mainly because although he's great defensively, i don't think he hurts teams as much on the rebound as the other 2, especially scarlett.

Ruttens just slightly behind them, mainly because although he's great defensively, i don't think he hurts teams as much on the rebound as the other 2, especially scarlett.

I'd like to see Glass take a contested mark against Brown...

Ok, has anyone noticed this.

Crows in 05, minor premiers. "OH GOD, they have the best defence in the comp, Rutten All Australian! Basset is a star"

Eagles 06 "WOW don't they have the best defence in the comp! Glass is AA" WHAT A STAR

Cats 07 "WOW what a backline, Scarlett is star, ALL AUSTRALIAN"

Its a fact, if your in a winning side ofcourse your backline is going to look good, if you have the midfield and so forth to back you up your going to look good.

Because the pressure is on from the midfield which affects the delivery and so forth into the forward line. A good backmen will be called "a star" through thick and thin, not just when there team is winning by feck loads.

Thats why I think Rutten is AA, he is blitzing them and the crows sit 8th! He kept the leading goal kicker to one goal...

Agreed. I think Rutten's game against Brown on the weekend sold me. Whilst the Crows double and triple teamed Brown, in one-on-one contests I think Rutten beat Brown regularly, not too many can do that.

As Robert Walls has just said 'On The Couch', being an AA selector...

"Rucci is a biased South-Australian". (Should have added D**KH**D) before south-australian as well.

Darren Glass and Matthew Scarlett between them will get it, no one else comes even close.
Is it possible for them both to get it?

They're also better chb's then any other players lol.

Glass and Scarlett have probably had better seasons but if I had to pick out of the 3 to join the swans I would take Rutten every day of the week. Definately the best of the 3 one on one.

And god knows we could use someone like him right now.

That's always an interesting pov. There seems to be a perception that Rutten is a Prestigiacomo like FullBack who'll not touch the ball. This couldn't be further then the case. Practically every week he gets not only more possesions than his opponent but also more then the opposing full back. Yes this is partly due to Adelaide's game plan but he is still capable of getting a large amount of the ball and Adelaide gains alot of their run out of defence from him.

It's just not noticed as much compared to Scarlett because Adelaide also have Mcleod, Johncock and Basset running the ball out much more prolifically. But that doesn't mean Rutten does not pull his weight.

Remove this Banner Ad

All Australian Team discussion 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Back