All Australian Watch: 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gibson being up there is another reason to query the stat - he absolutely annihilated the most dangerous FF in the game in Jack Riewoldt, was all over him, and was one of Hawthorn's best against Adelaide and Port Adelaide too. He'd be well and truly in contention for a back pocket.
Totally agree.

Gibson was sensational versus Port, not only in shutting down his opponent, but also in aiding forward forays and providing solid contests high up the wing. As you've said, he's kept top forwards completely in check and punches above his weight valiantly.

As for Spanish Fly, you can only play on the opponent designated. Concussion or otherwise, that match-up would've been considered as one of the most dangerous for Hawthorn going into the match.

He's having a cracker year - it's just a shame that he is played on monster FF/CHFs and will consequently bleed goals moreso due to the ineptitude of his team's other defensive options rather than his application or skill level.

Is this the Jamison vs Riewoldt thread or the AA watch thread? :rolleyes:
For Essendon I'd say that Fletcher and Watson are locks at this point in time and Crameri would be pushing for selection.

For Essendon I'd say that Fletcher and Watson are locks at this point in time and Crameri would be pushing for selection.

Fletcher's not close to a lock. He's in the mix though

Not Fletcher. I think a few of us are falling for his reputation and his game against Carlton. Seems Hardingham has been better in the view of a few Bomber fans.

I'd say Heath Shaw has easily been the best HBF in the game so far this year and i'd say the other spot would be out of an Enright and Yarran. Yarran's move to the back-flank has been a master stoke and he has a seriously good leg on him. Enright has been Enright.

The back line has been a talking point in AA sides over the last few years and it seems there could be a few candidates for this years side.

I'd say Heath Shaw has easily been the best HBF in the game so far this year and i'd say the other spot would be out of an Enright and Yarran. Yarran's move to the back-flank has been a master stoke and he has a seriously good leg on him. Enright has been Enright.

The back line has been a talking point in AA sides over the last few years and it seems there could be a few candidates for this years side.

Heath Shaw has been no better than Deledio.

what may go against yarran is his 'leon david in finals'-esque performance in round 1. as long as shaw and enright dont have an equal shocker he may get outdone on that. i wouldnt be surprised if the selectors had pretty long sighted memories and will remember performences like that pretty clearly.

i have to add to that though that i think 2 back positions will go to key defenders, one to a proper small defender, 2 to back flankers and 1 probably to a mid. so yarran is competing with shaw and enright for 2 spots.

edit: deledio is in that group too, fairly even with yarran i think. has had 2 poor games, compared with yarran with 1 shit and 1 poor. both behind shaw and enright on consistency.

Heath Shaw has been no better than Deledio.

Heath has dominated across half back in nearly every game. Deledio has been super admittedly and he should definitely be considered across half back but Shaw has been the premier HBF this year. Deledio has been super quiet in a couple of games but been outstanding where he hasn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mark Robinsons AA side at round 7 in the herald sun. Has only Deledio and Shaw, from the heavily discussed Hbf list. Yarran strangely doesn't even get an honorable mention in guys unlucky to miss out. He has Scotland as Deledio's partner across half back and Shaw in the pocket.

If you put any faith in dream team / Supercoach both Scotland and Deledio are the two highest average point scorers per game in the defenders category (sc)

Yarrans a long way behind that group in Stats form. I don't think he's a long way behind that group on output value.

Shaw could easily get a gig in the back pocket, would make it easier for selectors too to throw in more midfield style half back flankers.

Yeh I thought Shaw has the ability to rebound like a half back but can also play as a real miserly defender, not just a midfielder across hb.

Looks like I'm on my own with Robert Murphy. I'd still have him and Shaw on the flanks. Enright in a pocket.

Deledio and Adcock the others that wouldn't look out of place.

Adelaide: Rutten
Brisbane: Adcock, Merrett
Carlton: Jamison, Yarran, Scotland?
Collingwood: Shaw, Reid
Essendon: Fletcher, Hardingham, Heppell
Fremantle: McPharlin
Geelong: Enright, Scarlett, Taylor
Hawthorn: Gibson
Richmond: Deledio
Sydney: Richards, Smith
Western Bulldogs: Murphy, Morris
West Coast: Glass

Good luck fitting some of those name in the 11/12 defenders for the squad of 40.

Jamison full back. Scarlett and Fletcher back pockets.

Jamo gets the best full forward each week.

FWIW - Jamison killed reiwoldt last night out of the backline. As soon as Riewoldt decided he was getting killed he got cheapies in the centre square. Yep he has a tank - but Jamison killed him in their true positions.

Jamison full back. Scarlett and Fletcher back pockets.

Jamo gets the best full forward each week.

FWIW - Jamison killed reiwoldt last night out of the backline. As soon as Riewoldt decided he was getting killed he got cheapies in the centre square. Yep he has a tank - but Jamison killed him in their true positions.
What do you mean true positions? Riewoldt has always played that role. If someone is going to do a job on him, it includes shutting him down further afield as well as deep in the forward line. Jamo did that latter very, very well last night but Riewoldt still had a huge influence on the game by doing what he does every week. Jamo didn't defend this, so I reckon it was around a 50/50 contest in the end.

AFL site has put up their side through 7 rounds

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=113622&utm_medium=RSS

gteam_round7_110511.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back