All Australian Watch: 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it will cost him, it has his whole career. Criminally underrated.

I will go as far as saying he is as good as Luke Hodge, who has been widely regarded as a Top 5/Top 10 player for the best part of 6 years.

Gets 30+ touches, lots of contested ball, in the top few for clearances in the league so far this year, and uses the ball very well on both feet in heavy traffic. It's a ****ing travesty he has never been AA in his career and players like Leon Davis & Cam Mooney have.

Good post :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Minus the Leon part..... haha

Re: Leon Davis, on track for AA honours again?

brady rawlings 2010 > leon davis 2011

leon has been above and beyond what i thought he could be in the defensive unit this year, but if rawlings cant get in last year then davis is no chance this year.

Yeah.....no.

Unless of course Eddie pays the selectors enough

Not imo.

Don't get the Reid hate though. He has been good and squad material at this stage.

Davis is at least 4 very good games away from coming into contention.

Davis would be nowhere near it at present, he was playing VFL at the start of the year.

However, if he were to continue his last 3 weeks form for another 10 weeks - he would be a chance without question. Remains to be seen if that is possible.

As for Collingwood players in contention:

Pendles - certainty
Thomas - certainty
Shaw - certainty
Cloke - not certain, but close to it
Swan - borderline, lots of good mids around
Reid - on the edge, but KPD is a lottery this year - heaps of options but Reid unbeaten so far this year, a claim that can be made by ~5 other KPD's as well
Ball - possible for the 40, getting recognition for his outstanding season lately, but midfield will be tough to crack

It's a ****ing travesty he has never been AA in his career and players like Leon Davis & Cam Mooney have.

Being consistent over 5-10 years is better than having one standout year and getting named AA, although Moons over Buddy was a joke.

Mal Michael and Sam Mitchell are poster boys for consistency. Then you have Adam McPhee and Leon Davis who both had one truely outstanding year in a less competitive position.

Being consistent over 5-10 years is better than having one standout year and getting named AA, although Moons over Buddy was a joke.

Mal Michael and Sam Mitchell are poster boys for consistency. Then you have Adam McPhee and Leon Davis who both had one truely outstanding year in a less competitive position.
This is partly what annoys me by the fastidious folks who think we must pick each player by "position". Well-deserving gun footballers end up getting robbed of AA honours and meanwhile the selectors find room for lesser footballers who stand out playing in one position away from the midfield (such as a bank flank or forward pocket)

Despite the public outcry, I applauded the selection of Dane Swan on the half forward flank in 2009. Who seriously gives a shit about where players are actually named? Getting selected is the honour. No one remembers the actual positions that each player was chosen in. The idea is to pick the Team of the Year and reward the best 22 players.

Obviously we aren't going to name Kennedy and Riewoldt in the key forward posts and name Buddy at full back. Pick the team with a vague inclination towards backs, midfielders and forwards, but don't get precious about naming wingers, flankers and pockets. These guys are mostly the fringe players in each team.

I think the selection committeee might've realised this in the last couple of years and they've moved away from naming a preliminary squad of 12 defenders, 15 midfielders, 3 ruckmen and 12 forwards. It was Andy Demetriou's idea to make it regimented and it was flawed thinking, in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox is streaking ahead in no.1. Sandilands isn't an automatic selection this year and unless he comes back soon I'm going with an extra mid on the bench if needed. Or if someone like Gibson, Deledio, Goodes dominates this weekend. They aren't far behind Sandilands at all on performances so far this season imo.

Agreeing with Chewy in regards to the best 22. Roughly have them in the right spot but as he said, no one remembers positions, just the amount of AA's a player has.

Unless it's something freaky like Tredrea 4 times in a row as CHF.

Who cares really, I'm just enjoying the way he's going about it.

His ability to gather the loose ball at ground level is unrivalled. He has silky skills on the gather.

Also loved his goal on the weekend. His first for the year, and like Tarrants first goal a few weeks back, didnt he enjoy it!!!

I don't think Reid is going to get near the AA this season.

Does that mean I don't think he's a very good young defender?

What a load of rubbish. :rolleyes:

Wake up to yourself. Collingwood having another excellent season thus far does not automatically equate to every Collingwood player being the best in the league in their positions.

Who said every collingwood player was going to make AA, i named 7 players who are a chance to make it, obviously not all will, wake up to yourself champ. ;)

He had a great game. But it wasn't as good as a few of the other ones he played earlier in the season.

Or does he automatically play amazingly every week without any deviation because he is Scott Pendlebury?

If 32 disposals at 94% eff and 9 tackles is slowing down i cannot wait until he heats up again

I have no idea whether Leon would make the cut or not. He has done very well in his new position though and re-invented himself somewhat.

The only cloud that remains is his performances come finals time. Here's hoping he erases that one too.

Couldn't see him being AA this year without another half dozen really good games but frankly couldn't care less. If people's opinions of Harry and Maxwell in the past are any indication you have to be a spud to get selected for AA honours anyway. As far as I'm concerned Leon has been a revellation in the backline and is looking like he could rival any of our backs for being the most attacking option in our backline. Call him spud of the year if you like but you can't have him so suffer in yer jocks!

Even if he is, Johncock is way ahead and would take the spot

My Squad post round 11 -

B: Davis(Coll) Jamison(Carl) Shaw(Coll)
HB: Enright(Geel) McPharlin(Freo) Fisher(StK)
C: Thomas(Coll) Pendlebury(Coll) Mundy(Freo)
HF: Murphy(Carl) Cloke(Coll) Kelly(Geel)
F: Johnson(Geel) Franklin(Haw) Garlett(Carl)
R: Cox(WC) Judd(Carl) Watson(Ess)
Int: Sandilands(Freo) Goodes(Syd) Selwood(Geel) Scotland(Carl)

Collingwood - 5
Carlton - 5
Geelong - 4
Fremantle - 3
Sydney - 1
St Kilda - 1
West Coast - 1
Hawks - 1
Essendon - 1

as i said it's a no brainer, maybe you don't have a brain?

You would think that the guy with the brain wouldn't have made an AA thread about Leon Davis when there is a dedicated AA thread where this could have been discussed.

Stop digging yourself a deeper hole. It was clearly Pendlebury's best game of the season.

Disagree.

If 32 disposals at 94% eff and 9 tackles is slowing down i cannot wait until he heats up again

Jesus you Collingwood blokes are touchy. I merely said that he is handballing a lot more, not kicking long and precise like he is famed for. To me, handballing a lot is not as good as having an even spread of kicking and handballing.

Saying he "had a great game" isn't enough to qualify i think he's a great player? What else would you like me to say? He's the greatest player of all time? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back