Rumour All GWS Rumour And Speculation Thread - Vol 2

What Big Name would you Rather Lose to GWS?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Travis must have told him to say it, to increase speculation I suspect to make Collingwood think that he's really considering going to GWS.

How else whould Barrett have known that? Surely he wasn't admitting to snooping through his phone.

Does Barret work for News of the World;)

I'm pretty sure Cloke also said if a deal was there with the Pies during the year he'd sign it, but his preference was to leave it to the end of the season, like he has done with his other contracts. It was a bit mixed but I don't think you can take much out of the interview.

Of course he is going to try and get as much as he can out of the pies and so he should stupid if he doesnt.

It will take a lot to get him out of melb and more to get him out of colingwood.

Just relax or you will end up with ulcers its to early yet to worry.

Remember GWS cannot take everyone there is only so many dollars and they want to hang onto there best players.

Take a chill pill.

Hurley signs for 5 years. ****.

Not only does it mean that there is one less target for GWS, but the media scrutiny on Cloke and the team as a whole will increase.

Yep all the talk will be about Cloke now unless they bring Pendles and Reid in to it

Also if I am correct we traded that compensation pick to west coast for a pick in the 40s which either helped us get Taz or got us fasolo. Either way it was a massive win as we were going to delist josh

we received a 3rd round compensation pick for fraser, we traded it to west coast for their 3rd round pick which we used on daniel farmer...

we received a 3rd round compensation pick for fraser, we traded it to west coast for their 3rd round pick which we used on daniel farmer...

I thought it was Fasolo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought it was Fasolo

west coast traded their 3rd round draft pick to us which was originally Pick 45 at the time of the trade.

after trade week had finished north melbourne activated their compensation draft pick (pick 29) that they received from hawthorn as part of the david hale trade.

this resulted in all picks after pick 29 being pushed back 1 spot so pick 45 became pick 46.

On Cloke, there were people on these boards during trade week just after we won the flag, that were almost saying we should let him go if he wants more, that he was replaceable. Now he has a great year and we are worried. If he does leave I can understand why.

I love Cloke, he has been one of my favorites for a while, but if he leaves I will understand. Let's not make him something he is not. He is the best contested mark in the game, he has a great work ethic and gives absolutely all he's got. But he is a fair way off being the complete package. His kicking is horrible, and thats not just his set shot goalkicking. How often does he wheel around and bomb it to nobody? He never seems to lower his eyes. How many times have you seen him set up someone with a great handball? He has a lot of flaws in his game, and if he is offered 1.5mil a year to go and play footy, I think he should take it. But he will be mauled at GWS and he will be the perennial whipping boy.

I am more concerned with Pendlebury. He is supposed to be our next captain, and that means a lot at the Collingwood FC, just look at the list of great captains we have had. We have never low balled him, he was drafted high, has been awfully succesful and now is a superstar of the comp. He is also quite intelligent and could definitely make something of himself after football (not sure about Cloke there). He will make something of himself after football, just look at the former Collingwood captains of the last 20 years. He shouldn't be holding out for a bigger slice of the pie. He should be taking what the club gives knowing that by taking less we have a bigger chance at being succesful, because a captain is always team first.

Worst case if Cloke leaves is we get 2 first round draft picks and we can also try to sign a free agent KP forward to fill the hole in the short term. The 3 KP forwards that are free agents are Jonathon Brown, Justin Koschitzke and Quinten Lynch. These 3 are all unrestricted so one of them could be convinced to join a premiership contender as a best 22 KP forward without their club matching our offer.

So there is a chance it could end up Trav Cloke to GWS and we get 2 first round picks plus someone like Q.Lynch as well via free agency to fill his position in the short term.

Unless media talk starts saying gws will target Cloke as a restricted free agent and Pendlbury as an uncontracted player.

Come on mate why bother even mentioning that? If either player leaves it free's up $500,000 in our salary cap on top of the increases from the new CBA. GWS have room in the cap, but not that much.

Not sure if this has been answered above however if we do lose a player to GWS and receive compensation, can we activate that straight away to use in this strong draft?

Not saying that I want to receive compensation picks however it would be a double hit if we aren't able to benefit from the compensation straight away.

Very good news that Cloke's management via his father have put forward an offer to the club. Strong indication that he is staying and he will stay. Club will not let him go.

It's just this time round, Trav holds majority power in negotiations and so he should considering he has proven himself with his brilliant on field performances.

He should just about be paid what he wants (within reason of course and I'm sure Trav knows that he will have to sacrifice some $$$$ like all our other stars have done to remain).

He will be here for life.

Unless media talk starts saying gws will target Cloke as a restricted free agent and Pendlbury as an uncontracted player.

You're aware we would still get compensation in both those cases yeah?

Same way EVERY club that has lost a player has?

Not sure if this has been answered above however if we do lose a player to GWS and receive compensation, can we activate that straight away to use in this strong draft?

Not saying that I want to receive compensation picks however it would be a double hit if we aren't able to benefit from the compensation straight away.

Yeah, we can use it straight away if we wish. The only reason why clubs held onto them was because the drafts were compensated which diminished the value of the picks.

Ah, can't wait until Coniglio, Shiel, Patton, Smith, Kennedy, Miles, etc are all demanding $400,000 + each in 3 years time.
You can afford cloke. But you can't afford to keep him. Or if you do, we could easily offer Patton the same money we were planning to pay cloke.

Bam.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour All GWS Rumour And Speculation Thread - Vol 2

Back