Rumour All GWS Rumour And Speculation Thread - Vol 2

What Big Name would you Rather Lose to GWS?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If Cloke goes he goes I will just learn to hate him as I do other non Pies players he can leave as can any of the 11 without a contract next year.

This week Cloke is in the spotlight next week it will be Pendles and the week after it will be Reid but as Buckley said the other day the club was here before any of us and it will be here after were gone,the players make the club but more Importantly the CLUB makes the players.

If we do lose any players The club has the resources and money to chase replacements,being a long time fan of the Pies I have seen some good times and some bad times I started watching after we got the spoon in 76 but who else would you support.

I love our players and will defend them against anyone even if they ********s sometimes but the club comes before any player.

Collingwood is run better today than any other club in the League and better than our club at any time I have seen,more money more facilities better recruitment and better development than ever before and in good hands going forward.I never liked to dwell on the negative side of things even when we were on the bottom and I see even less reason to now with the club at or near the top.

Sorry for the long winded post sometimes things need to be put in perspective at this point in time the club is going well and we have more than enough people outside the club putting shit out about the club with any of us joining them.

As much as their salary cap is, including the extra million for a few years, they cannot afford to pay Cloke or any other player not currently signed to them, $1.5M a year.

They are paying around $750,000 a year to house all the new draftees at Breakfast point. That money goes into the cap. Most clubs have a handful of players only, that they have to house.

The GWS way appears to go for more players and not cough up the big coin. 3 very good young players at $400k each per year seems an easier and better option, then the big ticket item of over $1M for just one player albeit a superstar. Remember, that superstar may only be around for 5 years.

If they make an offer to Pendles or Cloke it will be for around $800 to $1M. We may offer $700k and with their own private deals with radio, paper, TV etc from their Victorian popularity, we wont be far off the mark.

News now advise they have enquired about Isaac Smith from Hawthorn. Offer him $300/$400k and Hawthorn can't compete. If they offer Wellingham $400k we wont compete.

Looking at their young kids last night, they are very talented and the majority (I think at least 10) will command at least double what they will be paid as 1st time draftees in 2012 & 2013. (Some from $75k to $200k per year come 2014)
2014 will see a massive change to their own salary cap constraints. Yep, they'll lose some but they'll retain the majority.
I think you right in 2 or 3 seasons time the other clubs will be looking to pick the eyes out of them,It has been made easy for them to get this talent but it will be hard to keep probably 5 yrs down the track they will be getting the largesse they gave to Sydney and the Lions.

I must say I am happy to hear that about Smith it is nice to hear of someone else,s woe,s for a change he comes from NSW as well.

In about 4 or 5 season,s time GC and GWS are both going to same same problems successful clubs now have their young players will be 22 or 23 and ripe for the picking,as they say what goes around comes around and we will see what the AFL does then to protect them.

I think you right in 2 or 3 seasons time the other clubs will be looking to pick the eyes out of them,It has been made easy for them to get this talent but it will be hard to keep probably 5 yrs down the track they will be getting the largesse they gave to Sydney and the Lions.

I must say I am happy to hear that about Smith it is nice to hear of someone else,s woe,s for a change he comes from NSW as well.

In about 4 or 5 season,s time GC and GWS are both going to same same problems successful clubs now have their young players will be 22 or 23 and ripe for the picking,as they say what goes around comes around and we will see what the AFL does then to protect them.

This assumes that the AFL will hold to their word and won't change the structure offered to GC and GWS. If they are struggling in 4-5 years time they will be given plenty of new concessions.... and this will likely include additional funds to secure stars coming out of contract.

Remember the AFL, aka "Andrew Demetriou", does not play fair when it comes to GC or GWS... they don't want them to succeed...they NEED them to succeed.

Maybe. Remember the 2010 Grand Final - Goddard was everywhere and Cloke was pretty lifeless in both games.

Don't underestimate Goddard.

He would be a superstar at Collingwood.

Maybe. Remember the 2010 Grand Final - Goddard was everywhere and Cloke was pretty lifeless in both games.

Don't underestimate Goddard.

He would be a superstar at Collingwood.

Tell you what though, If we literally had a choice between lids and Goddard I'd sway towards lids.
Goddard has been successful in a predominantly successful team. Lids averaged 2 more disposals per game (2011) and is 2 years younger than Goddard.

I really like delidio atm.

BUT.... We won't lose cloke so we'll get neither.
I really hope delidio stays at Richmond but I hope Goddard leaves. I would risk getting a red card just to troll the saints board on the day that Goddard leaves.

As much as their salary cap is, including the extra million for a few years, they cannot afford to pay Cloke or any other player not currently signed to them, $1.5M a year.

They are paying around $750,000 a year to house all the new draftees at Breakfast point. That money goes into the cap. Most clubs have a handful of players only, that they have to house.

The GWS way appears to go for more players and not cough up the big coin. 3 very good young players at $400k each per year seems an easier and better option, then the big ticket item of over $1M for just one player albeit a superstar. Remember, that superstar may only be around for 5 years.

If they make an offer to Pendles or Cloke it will be for around $800 to $1M. We may offer $700k and with their own private deals with radio, paper, TV etc from their Victorian popularity, we wont be far off the mark.

News now advise they have enquired about Isaac Smith from Hawthorn. Offer him $300/$400k and Hawthorn can't compete. If they offer Wellingham $400k we wont compete.

Looking at their young kids last night, they are very talented and the majority (I think at least 10) will command at least double what they will be paid as 1st time draftees in 2012 & 2013. (Some from $75k to $200k per year come 2014)
2014 will see a massive change to their own salary cap constraints. Yep, they'll lose some but they'll retain the majority.

These are good points. I think GWS has gone about their list build quite differently and received a lot of criticism for this. So far they look to have done a great job. As such I don't necessarily think they will do what we are all expecting & nab a big name superstar on huge dollars. So far they are have a very balanced list. They have targeted good middle of the road players with Callan Ward looking like an inspired choice.

They can get 12 uncontracted players still. If they get one huge big name they will not be able to get many more. Seeing SOS on Eddie's show he indicated they will need to go after specific types of players to fill list holes. I would think they will go for a ruckman/second ruck type. Probably another defender & certainly a key forward. But I don't think they want to be paying over the odds for a player (as they would for a Goddard, Cloke etc) as it detracts from the rest of the list.

I would expect they will continue to cherry pick good young players like Wellingham & Nathan Brown from us, Liam Shiels & Stratton from Hawks. The big names are a bluff, they will push up their prices and ake it impossible to keep the younger types they are after. They have their super stars already - they are just 18 - some are younger & not even on their list yet! Why waste money on a star who isn't around for their first flag?

The papers mentioned on the weekend, they have atrgetted Robert Warnock from carlton. He's once for the $$. Why not again?

Rucks and Key forwards (have a likely gun in Patton though) would be there priority. They appear to have 3 solid looking key defenders in Davis, Cameron (played forward but I'm sure more known as a defender) & Mohr and a swag of quality looking midfielders.

if we lose Cloke, we will get Goddard or Delidio.

welcome to free agency.

Or all 3 :) A man can dream.

Delidio has played like 1 final or something in his career. Unless the money was crazy, I doubt he would want to go to a club that will also not play finals.

The reigning All-Australian centre-half-forward and 149-game Magpies 2010 premiership star will command in excess of $1million a season to switch north to the Giants.
Cloke recently engaged a new Sydney-based management team and could negotiate a hefty deal go to the Giants as either an inaugural free agent or under AFL formation rules for the new franchise.
As a restricted free agent, Cloke’s contract can be matched by Collingwood and he would be bound to stay with the Pies.
If the McGuire and his hierarchy failed to match what can be expected to be a substantially lucrative deal, Cloke could transfer without any hitch.

Under that agreement, the Giants would still be free to bid for another out-of-contract Magpie.

The Pies have other premiership stars Harry O’Brien, Heath Shaw, Ben Reid, Dayne Beams, Sharrod Wellingham, Tyson Goldsack, captain Nick Maxwell and Steele Sidebottom, all coming out of contract at the end of the 2012 season.

Under lenient Giants formation regulations from the league, Silvagni and football manager Graeme Allan can still attract an uncontracted player from Collingwood.

This is a Worry and I be very Pissed at the AFL if this Happend

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2012/03/26/cloke-attracting-giant-interest/

I am getting very worried now. Cloke signed for a Sydney based sport management company a few weeks ago and has now said he wont sign until the end of the year or even start talks until the season is over. Now GWS have come out and said they need a key forward and that will be their number 1 priority. Cloke is the only key forward thats out of contract. We are in massive trouble and I think he is as good as gone. I hate GWS!

They may be able to get 1 of our players but they will not be able to get both Cloke and Pendlebury under their salary cap that is just wishful thinking on behalf of the bloke who wrote that piece.We are going to have this all season long if we listen to these "commentators" we won,t have a player left at season,s end,these bloke,s who write these piece,s should be realistic and not tell us what they want to happen.

Cloke and Pendlebury combined would command between 2.4 to 3 million a season both players are in the top 5 players playing atm with GWS other recruits on pretty good wickets as well.In 2 or 3 seasons time they will be lucky to have any of their recruits left,of course this is surmising that the Afl does not give them an 2 million cost of living allowance for being in Sydney as they certainly make and change the rules as they go along.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Scott Pendlebury bats away contract talk as Greater Western Sydney circles

*Bump*
D-Day 1 approaches ...
Don't think there is going to be an announcement before Friday ...

*Bump*
D-Day 1 approaches ...
Don't think there is going to be an announcement before Friday ...

Highly Doubt that and I don't think GWS are even Interested in Pendles

Highly Doubt that and I don't think GWS are even Interested in Pendles

I tend to agree with this.

Well, I'm sure they'd love Pendles, but seeing them the other night and seeing who they had out, their yawning need is not for another mid, but a power forward.

Given they can only take one from us, they'd have to go for Trav before Pendles you'd think.

What the hell was Sheahan on about on On the Couch?

Surely he doesn't really think Cloke is worth $900k a year?? He is on $425K so he thinks his worth doubled after the 2011 season? That just seems insane to me.

I think he's worth more like $600 to $650k and that's all he'll get with us.

I also do not believe that Swan is on $750k as claimed. I would say closer to $600k.

I think that the media grossly overestimate some players wages.

Out of intrest, who would you guys rather loose?
Trav or Pendles?

If it was me, I'd say Pendles, you can always get quality mids, especially with free agency. But a big, marking forward is harder to come by.

What the hell was Sheahan on about on On the Couch?

Surely he doesn't really think Cloke is worth $900k a year?? He is on $425K so he thinks his worth doubled after the 2011 season? That just seems insane to me.

I think he's worth more like $600 to $650k and that's all he'll get with us.

I also do not believe that Swan is on $750k as claimed. I would say closer to $600k.

I think that the media grossly overestimate some players wages.

This is what the AFL have done to player market, they have inflated the highest paid players wages simply because of two clubs, GWS and GC.

Cloke isn't worth any more then 700k a year, yet we will have to offer him more to stay, just because GWS can afford to over him about $1 Million a year (ignore all other claims, that's the average over a 4-5 year deal they can afford).

The difference Cloke will be getting from GWS compared to what Collingwood will offer him isn't that much when you spread the contract out over the length of his next probable contract.

Collingwood would be smart to follow Essendon, and offer Cloke a 5 year, 600-700K deal a year, it's all we can afford, and at the same time it would tie Clokey up long term.

I still don't think he'll leave, money just doesn't seem like a big factor in Trav's personal life, even if some outside influences are trying to make it be so.

I still think the numbers are exaggerated.

I seriously do not think that any club other than GWS would pay $900k a year. It's crazy stuff. It's not like he is proven brilliance over a number of years like Franklin. He could easily slip back to 2010 form i.e. good but not great.

There is no way I would offer a 5 year contract to a 25 yo player. That's just too dangerous for the club. 3 years max I reckon.

p.s. I do not think Cloke will leave either but his dad will push it til the end like he did 2 years ago.

Would he fall under the free agency compensation (1 first round draft pick) or the GWS un-contracted player compensation (2 first round draft picks)!!??? Big difference.

Also if we loose him, think of the cash we could splash around to lure other free agents, won't be the end of the world (close to it though ;))

Sheehan also said that Travis Cloke wouldn't go to GWS. He seemed emphatic about it. As if he had inside information.

Sheehan also said that Travis Cloke wouldn't go to GWS. He seemed emphatic about it. As if he had inside information.

Hey Mike Might have some Inside Info but he really did not say much in that Bit there in my thoughts

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour All GWS Rumour And Speculation Thread - Vol 2

Back